Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

considering an Eiger but is the Yamaha better

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering an Eiger but is the Yamaha better

I am not too worried about having drum brakes. I am sure the disc brakes are superior, but I had about a 92 Bayou220 for about 8 years that had drum brakes. I gave that thing nine kinds of heck, and never had a single problem out of the brakes. My step dad has a 94 Bayou300(he bought it brand new), and I recently replaced the back brakes on it. One brake replacement in 10 years isn't that bad, and it has been through just about anything(being pulled or pushed through sometimes). It cost about $30 to change them, and it only took about 30 minutes.

Old 03-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

I don't see any problem with drum brakes. I have over 1,000,000 miles on 3 vans and a car (together) and have never experienced any problems [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the feedback folks;
I went and got an Eiger. Based my decision on a few things. For $800 more in could have got the Yamaha 450, true, but could have also had a Vinson which is a much better machine than both when you compare features.
The Eiger seems to be a more solid bike than the Yamaha, particularly the rear end which looks much like a much larger bike(2 shocks and large axel). Having had problems with my 400 Honda rear end suspension and swing arm I really wanted to have a solid machine.
As far as the diff lock goes, I really think it is how you ride that makes a difference. Have seen machines with them not make it up hills I could get up with my Honda 400. I will definetly use the low range on the Eiger to crawl up and down some of the nasty stuff.
I really liked the positive response though that I got from the riders at this site. Gave me a lot of confidence to get the Eiger. It seems like a really powerful and well designed bike compared to the Honda I have. Can hardly wait to get it out on the trails.

Old 03-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer

Now take that $800 you 'saved' and buy a new or used 4x8 tilt trailer than you can box in with plywood and BLAM! Now you have a trailer for your atv and whatever else you need to haul. See how 'versatile' the eiger is?

joe

Old 03-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Range Rover

TGriz, I am waiting for all the rest of the manufacturers to jump on board with EFI and keggerators standard.

Old 03-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Eiger is a good machine. I bought the Cat because it uses the Suzuki engine, disk breaks (drums are good, but harder to keep clean and don't stop as well) 12 inches of ground clearance, 10" suspenion travel, and I like the IRS, I know some don't.

Wow, another post telling you that my machine is the best thing since sliced bread. Oh well, what can you do. Hey, you have to admit, sliced bread is an awesome invention. Where would our sandwhiches be without that!!!!

Old 03-03-2004, 11:03 PM
jb1
Weekend Warrior

Sullivad, good choice on the Eiger. I guess I am qualified since I own a 2003 Kodiak and 2004 Eiger. My sone rides the Kodiak, so that should tell you which one I like better. Just for the reasons you mentioned, the rear end. The Eiger rides better and feels more stable on uneven ground, ruts, and rocks. It tends not to **** one rear wheel up as easily as the Kodiak.

Don't get me wrong. The Kodiak is a great machine. More torquey and a little quicker than the Eiger. Top end and power about the same. Turns tighter than the Eiger. But I really like riding the Eiger. When you hit the rough stuff, you then can really tell the difference in the rear ends of the 2.

Oh, and my son is always wanting to swap, that should tell you something else.

All in all, 2 very good machines.

Old 03-04-2004, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jb1
Sullivad, good choice on the Eiger. I guess I am qualified since I own a 2003 Kodiak and 2004 Eiger. My sone rides the Kodiak, so that should tell you which one I like better. Just for the reasons you mentioned, the rear end. The Eiger rides better and feels more stable on uneven ground, ruts, and rocks. It tends not to **** one rear wheel up as easily as the Kodiak.

Don't get me wrong. The Kodiak is a great machine. More torquey and a little quicker than the Eiger. Top end and power about the same. Turns tighter than the Eiger. But I really like riding the Eiger. When you hit the rough stuff, you then can really tell the difference in the rear ends of the 2.

Oh, and my son is always wanting to swap, that should tell you something else.

All in all, 2 very good machines.
Sullivad, now go find a Kodiac 450, get off in some deep mud or ins some rock piles and lets put the 4wheel drive to work! You will truly see the benefits of the diff lock!!!

Old 03-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Cmon tgrizz. The guy made his choice. Please don't dump on his parade. This isn't his first quad and prolly won't be his last. ( although the E may make him so happy it may be). He felt his last one didn't need a diff lock or this one, but he may feel that he needs it on his next one.

Lets all congratulate him on his new machine!

Old 03-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

all the talk about locking diff's made me thing didnt i see highlifter makes a locking diff for the eiger and guess what i found, yes they do, and for 350 its a good deal

Quick Reply: considering an Eiger but is the Yamaha better