Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

considering an Eiger but is the Yamaha better

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 02:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering an Eiger but is the Yamaha better

Well the dif lock would of been nice, but you can apply a small amount of front brake if one of your tires is in the air and cause the tire with traction to pull. What I like about my 2004 eiger is that it isn't water cooled so I don't have to worry about another system failing out in the woods. I mainly work mine, either pulling a drag at the beach or pushing snow this winter. I have been high centered a few times, pushed the snow over the berm and resting the belly on the berm. Not once did I hook the plow to anything other than the plow. I just shifted weight to the rear and powered off. I only use low range when pulling the drag. The only thing I found unsettling on the Eiger was one time I was side hilling at about 40-45 degree side hill (might be slight exaduration) even with my 235# butt on the high side I was nervous! Adjustable shocks or a smaller butt would help.LOL I keep mine in the garage so can't tell you how it starts in the cold, but you will figure that out. I have 100 miles on it and 30 are hunting , trail riding, all the rest are work miles, slow going and lots of power. Engine wise the lifters need adjusting again. I did the 100 mile service at 30 due to the hard work I was using it for. Pulling a harrow drag like one sees in Cabellas doesn't look like much untill you put some blocks on it and start dragging beach with softball size rocks and sand. The reverse lever doesn't always go fully int reverse. This showed up after pushing lots of snow so is and adjustment or driver impatience in switching directions. Out side of the plow and winch this thing is stock. I know everyone likes the aftermarket tires but these will have to wear out before I become unsatisfied with the.

So thats my two bits worth. Let me know how that Auto does. I chose the Manual for more power and reliability. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2004, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

Snowtoys, if you think its scary to be on a steep hill with your E then you should try it on an IRS quad (independant rear suspension). Those stock dunflops also add to the feeling of wobble on a hillside.

Old 03-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer

I see your point, and if I am lucky enough to ride enough to wear down these tires then I will et the aftermarket ones. My old machie I had wooly boogers on it and I was amazed where that thing would go. Especially floating in the swampy ground.

Old 03-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: eiger2
Snowtoys, if you think its scary to be on a steep hill with your E then you should try it on an IRS quad (independant rear suspension). Those stock dunflops also add to the feeling of wobble on a hillside.
SAY WHAT??????????? You don't have a clue what your talking about!

Old 03-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

Hey tgrizz!! I run those stock dunflops and I know they roll on hillsides. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2004, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: eiger2
Hey tgrizz!! I run those stock dunflops and I know they roll on hillsides. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
You stated the IRS is bad on hillsides!!! Thats pretty much the ONLY place that I ride my IRS machine!! It does EXTREMELY well there!!! That little Eiger surely doesnt want any of the IRS machines where I ride!

Old 03-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

So does Tellico Ride mean you had to tweak the suspension to make it do what you doing? If I put stiffer shocks on mine or firmer tires I could do that too! But too many toys to justify all the $ into one rig until it needs it.

Old 03-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

Tgrizz, is your machine completly stock? (tires, suspension, etc)

Old 03-08-2004, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't seen too many problems on hillsides with IRS . . . BUT . . . once those things start to squat, watch out because more times than not, you're going over! Many times on the rocks, that one front tire happens to be in the air and the ride didn't correct body position (stayed centered) and that opposit rear side just squatted and the rest was history.

Not saying IRS is bad, but it is definitely a different type of ride and once ya get used to it, it is damn nice!

Old 03-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

I just wanted to update after my first weekend on the Eiger. Did lots of steep slippery snowy and icy hills, mud, rocks, etc out in Quebec.
The machine performed very very well, faster and better ride than the O4 Honda Rancher thatI have. Great climber and I love the simplicity of it. Not much to go wrong. The only thing that bothered me was the fan went on quite a bit and it was not all that warm out, say 34 deg f, so I was suprised.
I may want to get the aftermarket diff lock if I find out I cant get up something or am getting stuck where I should not. But at least the rest of the bike is well put together and solid.
Added bonus. It stays really clean compared to most other bikes. Must be due to the fender body design. Anyhow, the bright Suzuki yellow got plenty of looks on the trail this wekend being so clean and all in spite of the mud and slush.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: considering an Eiger but is the Yamaha better