Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Guyts I am haveing serious problems with my oil, please help Z400.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guyts I am haveing serious problems with my oil, please help Z400.

Ok, I know it is long but please read.I will start from the when I think the problem started, the drain plug on my oil tank was stripped so I had a heli coil inserted, I went to check the oil a couple days later and I did not start it and there was nothing on the stick. I then started it like the manual says and let it run for 3 min and let it sit for 3 min and still nothing. I added another quart and it was a little above full. The quad then sat for a month and I went to check it and did the same procdure as above and nothing but I knew there was oil in it so i took it for a ride came back and checked it ans still nothing. so i drained it out and i got 3 quarts out of it, I put 2.2 back in it and started it and then let it sit and checked the oil and it is fine, I am going to let it sit for a few and then check it again but if nothing comes up what should I do?

P.S the little inspection bolt on the right side of the motor should the oil pour out of there or kind of just seep out? thanks a lot the quad is a 03

Old 03-04-2004, 12:15 AM
Range Rover

Hello.
The problem is your method. You need to start you bike, run it for 3 min, shut down, wait one minute and then check it. When the bike sits the oil will drain back into the crank case.(crank case is lower than the oil tank).
Your bike will hold 2.7 qts of oil if you drain everything as when replacing clutches. It will take 2.2~2.5 qts if you drain the tank, replace the filter, and drop the drain plug (crankcase) under the engine.

Old 03-04-2004, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Can you see any external leakage around the head? Around the bottom of the cylinder?

What type of oil are you using?

Old 03-04-2004, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider

The service manual and the owners manual says to let it run at idle for a few min and then shut it down and let it sit for 3 min and then check it, I think I also checked it right after I shut it down and there was nothing. When i drained the old oil out (3 quarts) there was probably like 1 quart in the tank and I stiill did not get a reading. When I re filled it with 2.2 quarts when I changed it I got a reading. But i am going to let it sit for a few days and then check it and it probably will not read again. I am using a suzuki 10w-40 oil and I am sure there are no leaks. Thanks Please help.

Old 03-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Range Rover

Is there any oil in you cooling system? The clutch cover gasket and seals keep the two from mixing. If some one replaced the clutch and did not replace the gasket and seals. you oil could be getting pumped into the cooling system.

Old 03-04-2004, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

If it was leaking in the system I think i would see it in there, when I drained the oil alot came out it seems as if it is not getting pumped back into teh tank maybe? Like I said before when i drained hte oil tank about a quart of oil came out.

Old 03-04-2004, 11:29 PM
Range Rover

Well, at this poit I would have to assume you have an oil pump about to fail, a block oil return line, or a stuck open oil check valve.
You will need a manual, tools, and a oil pressure gauge to go any further.