Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger knocking

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger knocking

While I was out riding this sunday, I noticed my Eiger making a slight knocking. It only happens when it is at idle or less than about 1/4 throttle. Once I get past 1/4 throttle, then the sound goes away. I thought it was the valves needing adjustment but I am not so sure now (talked to eigerbever and said he had the same problem, checked his valves and they were ok). When I get home tonight, I'll get the video from the ride off my camcorder and hopefully post it on my site for you guys to hear.

Got any ideas in the meantime?

Old 03-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Range Rover
Default Eiger knocking

Also note, I have no lack of power though it does seem to knock at idle. And mine too goes away at 1/4 throttle. Dealer said he would look i at it at no cost [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] . I will let you all know what he finds next week.

Old 03-24-2004, 04:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Eiger knocking

I would just about guess that it is the gas you're using. I had the same problem so I called the dealer and the first thing he said "what grade gas are you using"? I told him 87, he said not to use no less than 93. Try it, it fixed mine.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default Eiger knocking

Thanks for the advice. I will try it and see. Oh yeah, one more thing, would it make a difference if I tell you I have been running 87 for 1000 miles and this is the first time I have had this problem?

Old 03-24-2004, 11:30 AM
Range Rover
Default Eiger knocking

Hey Muddy, went to dealer yesterday to ask some more question. He started a new eiger, and it is definitely a knock I got, he said octane shouldn't make a difference . Anyhow, my neighbor brought over his stethoscope, mine is not a valve knock or piston knock. It sounds like something is loose in the bottom end. Still scheduled to bring it in next week , I will let you know. Guess I will not be riding this weekend . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. Oh I take that back, if check comes in from house refinance, Wife gets her quad, I commandeere it for break in period.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Eiger knocking

Hey, how many miles do you have on yours?

Old 03-24-2004, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Eiger knocking

Well, if it is knocking, there is usually two problems that persist. The first problem is you might have reved your motor to much, and the valve that opens and closes to let exhaust and intake air in was opening and closeing too fast and got stuck open making the rocker arms to hit the valve cover. The other possible problem is that you have to little oil, or the wrong type of oil and it is causing some type og clicking. My brother has a 94 Twin Turbo Dodge Steath, and his was knocking so he put better oil in the motor and the knocking stopped. So good luck.
---------------------------
86 LT250r
Renthal chain and sprocket
Works Performance nitrogen shocks
Boyesen power reeds
nerf bars
twist throttle
Shredder rear tires and Armstrong front tires

Old 03-24-2004, 03:12 PM
Range Rover
Default Eiger knocking

Oil is fine, have 398 miles on quad (3 oil changes) Went with 20w50 as dealer recommended for desert riding. Valves are good and within tolerances, mine has a lower end knock whether in N, H or L. Does not knock above 1/8 -1/4 throttle ,no loss of power. I am now assuming something may be loose in lower end of motor/gearbox. Dealer will be looking at next week.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Eiger knocking

I had a low end knocking problem when mine was new. Similar symptoms - did not affect power and only was noticable at low speed or idle or going down hill. Turned out that the nut on the auto-clutch shaft was loose - lock washer installed incorrectly. The housing would keep the nut from completely coming off the shaft so it would loosen and tighten. Simple fix at the dealer and no knock since. BTW, I usually run 87 octane.

Jaybee

Old 03-25-2004, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default Eiger knocking

Wonder if it would apply to a manual transmission? I figured that the octane was not a big deal (do have 1000 miles on it with 87). I am going to pick up my service manual tonight and maybe it will shed some light on the subject. I have my ride off my camcorder, but need to find a good clip (and cut it down to size) for you to listen to to see if it is the same.

Quick Reply: Eiger knocking