Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

almost died wrecking my z400

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004 | 07:52 AM
jt
|
Range Rover
Default almost died wrecking my z400

i had a bad experience on march 30, 2004. me and my bud were gonna do some riding at our favorite spot in FL..when we arrived i wasted no time and got straight to riding while my friend was still getting ready..so i took off like the cocky person i was, thinking i was in control...BIG MISTAKE !!!! i got going down a sandy straightaway doing i'd say about 65-70mph, haulin *** big time, but i didn't see the big whoops ahead of me and before i could even react i was in the whoops hard...the frontend dove straight into the whoops which made the rear end buck me over the bars about 20ft or so, landing on my shoulder, the rearend of the quad bucked all the way over and dived straight into my side, grabbar hit me dead on...after it hit me it just kept going about 6 times end over end...it sure hurt like hell but i never passed out...i thought i broke my shoulder and some ribs..but when i tried to stand up i realized that something was seriously wrong...i layed in the sand screaming by myself for about 10 minutes until my bud finally got over there to me...he always has his cell so i told him to call an ambulance...got to ER and went into shock....they rushed me right into emergency surgery.....turns out i busted my spleen into 12 pieces, so they removed that, my appendix was damaged, removed that, bruised heart with fluid around it, bruised pancreas, bruised kidney, cracked sternum, dislocated shoulder, 1 broken rib...i was in ICU for 4 days and cardiac for 4 more days...i'm doing much better now thank god...he was definately watching over me...the surgeon said my chances weren't good for survival cuz i lost all my blood by the time i got to surgery...the helmet definately saved my life for the most part, cuz that's what really hit the ground first....next purchase for me is a chest protector...not sure if it would've prevented my injuries, but it wouldn't of hurt to have it anyways.. my z subframe was twisted down to the swingarm and my tierods were pretzeled...but it's all fixed now...a few more weeks of recovery and i might give riding a shot again...i sure learned some things from this, never ride crazy in an unfamiliar place, cuz terrain is not forgiving....don't act like ur in control of the quad, cuz u never are....and wear all ur safety gear....

Old 05-02-2004 | 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

DAM!........I HATE when that happens...........I'm glad to hear your recovering and doing fine. Something like that can almost happen to anyone. Sometimes I wonder how me or my buddies get away without injuries or bad wrecks.
Man, get back on that horse as soon as you can but be a little more cautious next time...........mmm k?

Old 05-02-2004 | 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

Wow! That was a bad wreck, glad to hear your back on your feet. A chest protector and kidney belt are good investments. When you get back on the quad, take it easy this time. Whoops can be fun but they'll launch you off the quad in a heartbeat if something goes wrong.

Old 05-02-2004 | 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

glad your doing better !!! sorry to hear about the wreck . good thing you were smart one the helmet !!!! i never ride without mine .

Old 05-02-2004 | 11:24 AM
Range Rover

You for sure need to get all of your safety gear. My daughter had a bad weck last fall, but didn't get hurt as bad as imagined because of her safety gear.

She was practicing on am MX track (she rides a tricked out Scrambler 50). She was on the back side of a smallish table top, when a bigger kid on a KX125 came over the table top, not seeing her, and sideswiped her back. She went over the bars superman style, landing on her right hand. She came to rest on he back after flipping over. Her injusried were a fractured elbow and a fractured wrist and some minor bruising. She wears a helmet, football mouth protector, chest protector with a football neck roll attached, kidney belt, riding shirt/pants, elbow/forearm protectors (bought after the crash), and riding boots. we also have kneww protectors, but her legs are too short with her boots on.

Good to hear you'll recover.

Bryce

Old 05-02-2004 | 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

Glad you're ok, JT. That a tough way to learn a lesson, but I guess it's not the worst way. Also, glad to see that you're going to get back on the horse.

Old 05-02-2004 | 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

wow i hope you feel better soon i broke my wrist this winter and thought that was bad but jeeze

Old 05-02-2004 | 12:50 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I do think someone was watching over you after reading that.

Glad to here you are doing Ok.

Old 05-02-2004 | 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

I used to race moto-x and got in the good habit of putting around the track looking for changes etc. before I go ***** to the wall.I tend to do that on my quad at the dunes or any place I ride now.
Glad you are ok jt and decided to keep riding.