Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

230s engine help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 01:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 230s engine help!!!!!

Originally posted by: 1987LT250
this might sound stupid but does that thing have a flywheel and woodruff key on the crank ? if it does pull fly wheel and look at key coulda sheered it. i sheered mine and i have cdi timing and broke my leg to kick it and backfired ran then stalled . ok just ignore this if your 230 doesnt have that setup as i own lt250s . good luck

yes it does.....i will look at that tonight thanks....you make a good point.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash tell me something.
Have you ever kicked it over with the key off? If so, how did it feel? Still seem like big time compression? Did somone shave the head big time on this thing?

If it does, I'm out of ideas. If not, let us know, I have an idea.

One more question. Why do you think that it is 1/2 tooth off? Do you think you have the cam 1/2 tooth advanced or retarded?

no i have never tryed it with the key off.....I have never seen the cylinder....... no matter were I put the cam it is either 1/2 tooth advanced or retarded by useing a straight edge.

Old 05-20-2004, 03:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

pulled the cover back off tonight and checked the key...it was in great shape, also pullled the plug and verified that the piston is true TDC when the mark is on the pointer, all looked good.

Old 05-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I did a little playing around this morning......I took a pipe cleaner and a little brake clean on it and cleaned the carbon off the piston through the plug hole ( it was very light carbon). And the darn thing has a 50 over in it!!!!!!!! I am going to bring home my compression gage tonight and see if I can guess the compression piston that is in it!!!! BUt the search for the answer is still on! Thank you for your help guys! I am always open for more ideas.

Old 05-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

The thing I keep on coming back to is your compression and cam being a half a tooth off.

If this thing has as much compression as you think and you don't have the history on the engine maybe someone wanted a 15 to 1 quad. If this is so, maybe someone took .100 or more off the head? This would put the cam timing way off. I did an engine the other day that someone took .125 off the head and I took another .005 off to clean it up. The cam was almost 1/2 tooth off but it was no big deal because it had an adjustable pulley. Something to think about?

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Let us know what you find, I'm all for learning new stuff.

Old 05-20-2004, 04:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

but it should start being a half tooth off right? Kinda like a 4 deg adjustable gear, I know they make those! What would be better a advanced cam or a retarded cam? I looked at the head real close...it has a solid metal head gasket(very thin) is the stock one a fiber/metal gasket? Also there is still a ledge on the head....if you mill the head you loose most of the lower ledge don't you? (by ledge I mean the part of the head that is shaped exactly like the head gasket, not very tall)

Old 05-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

but it should start being a half tooth off right?
You make a REALLY good point!!! And you are correct, it should start being a 1/2 tooth off.

I'm sorry, I'm just going off of general engine knowledge. I have no specific knowledge of your quad engine. I also think you are correct about the ledge.

I'm just thinking out loud here, and I'm out of ideas.

Sounds like you are checking everything, but have not found the smoking gun. You will find the problem, but it will take time.

Again, when you find out what the problem is, please post it, this is a good one!!!! Sorry I could not help you more.

Old 05-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey i have the same machine mine is an 85 230 quad sport i need your help do you know how to set the valves i need to adjust them but i dont know how or were to set them help me please
rpurdy@hfcsd.org[img]i/expressions/f...mall-frown.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

Hey my 230 had a slight backfire so i tore the top end down and found the cam to be 180 degrees off so i fixed that.now the carb shoots out gas to the air filter.could it be the carb or what????? its not a stock carb its a 36mm carb thx

Old 05-22-2004, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

it could be that carb i think the timing might have to be a little different for a after market carb
now i have a question how do you adjus the timing is it just top died center or is there a line were it is marked on the cam
email me asap rpurdy@hfcsd.org with any help it will be much appreciated

Quick Reply: 230s engine help!!!!!