Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Just lost king quad in 6 feet of water

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2000, 04:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished recovering my quad from 6 feet of water. I drained the air box, drained oil and pulled plug to drain from there. Any ideas on what to do now? Any help would be much appreciated.

Brian

Old 08-06-2000, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any water in diff & rear final drive?

Fuel tank (drain from "RESERVE" petcock position)/fuel lines/carb float bowl/carb slide cylinder? Engine turn over o.k. (i.e., no hydrostatic lock in cylinder)?

Tree Farmer

Old 08-06-2000, 05:19 PM
Trailblazer

Engine did start and blew a lot of water out of exhaust. I still have to drain diff and final drive. Do you think I need to get the engine serviced or should everything be ok after changing all fluids?
Brian

Old 08-06-2000, 06:21 PM
Range Rover

How long was it in the water?

You might want to check the wheel bearings. Basically lubricate everything that can be lubricated.

Ask yourself, what would the service people do that you haven't already done yourself. If you know what it is you can just do it.

You may want to inspect the ignition components and anything else electrical to prevent future corrosion.

Old 08-06-2000, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer

It was in the water for about 5 minutes. I was able to winch my self out. My main concern is the engine. Do have to worry about rust or anything like that? By the way, everyones quick replies have been greatly appreciated.

Brian

Old 08-06-2000, 06:50 PM
Range Rover

Corrosion is caused by acid and acid is usually supplied by water and dirt. All you can do is try to make sure everything is clean.

Old 08-06-2000, 08:19 PM
Range Rover

I never have had mine in that deep of water,sorry i cant help.But what i want to know is.How did you get it in 6 feet of water?

Old 08-06-2000, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

OK I'm may look silly here but "oil in the rear final drive". I only have one place to put oil and that's for the engine and diff. The front diff has oil as well. What am I missing here.

Old 08-06-2000, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer

I was riding down an old powerline when the trail turned into a swampy area. I kept on the trail because the water was only a foot deep. I followed this for about a hundred yards then all of a sudden I fell into a hole and was neck deep in water. No warning, the ground just fell out from underneath me. Luckily I was near a power pole and able to winch out. trail was only 5 ft wide. I was also lucky enough to run into someone
on the trail who was able to tow me back to the truck. As for the quad it seems to be running fine. Im gonna change the oil and filter again just to make sure all the water is out of there.

Old 08-10-2000, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer

Wow! Mean trail. I done that to an old 230 Quad once and it took and hour to get it going ... no one there to tow me and five miles of narrow trail from my truck!

Last year I buried a GMC Jimmy in a river. It didn't look deep, but it was deep enough the current pushed the front around sideways ... got some pics of it somewhere. Anyway everything electronic on that thing had to be gone over the last year. I suggest you pull connections apart and dry them out and put some waterproof grease on them ... only after they are dry though. Also WD 40 is known to be good for drawing moisture out of things. Maybe spraying it down with that would correct some future corrosion. I use grease and then spray the whole wiring harness down with ignition spray a couple times a year, or more and so far no corrosion. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Just lost king quad in 6 feet of water