Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

my oil drain plug is stripped...any ideas?? tap time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004 | 12:40 AM
MJE
|
Range Rover
Default my oil drain plug is stripped...any ideas?? tap time?

I was changing the oil today and the plug stripped...

not the actual bolt that goes into the motor but the threads on the bottom itself (i believe) it was dark so i couldnt really see but i didnt notice any bad threads on the bolt just threads hanging on it which was prob from the engine. I have the ATV lift and everything so I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow but i figured id ask if they sell anything online that has a bigger opening requirement and ill drill the bottom pan out and re tap it with my tap set.

-Mike

Old 06-16-2004 | 07:38 PM
Trailblazer

i just had that happen, and i went to the local dealer and they heli-coiled it for me, or they can re tap it, however they have to make sure no flakes get into the case cuz then they would have to split it. they only charged me 20 to helicoil it.

Old 06-16-2004 | 08:17 PM
MJE
|
Range Rover

I just found a new plate that has the oil screw on it..

bought it for 16 bucks brand new ill change that. I also picked up new screws and whatnot so everything is cool as soon as i get the stuff in the mail

-MJE-

Old 06-16-2004 | 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

hmm...well what plate are u talking about?? i have heard about it...but never found where i can buy it..I went to an auto shop and bought a drain plug that has a rubber tip on it and u screw a bolt through it and it expands to fit the hole. Working so far but i would like to make the origional drain plug work.

Old 06-17-2004 | 01:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Stripped oil drain holes 5uck! The motor just doesn't work if the oil falls out the bottom. Sometimes it will just keep dripping even after a fix. There's really only one correct way to fix it. Replace that part of the motor.

I had a bad experience caused by a dealer once. Now I hate to here about it happening to someone else.

Old 06-17-2004 | 08:34 AM
MJE
|
Range Rover

Originally posted by: LT2Fiddy
hmm...well what plate are u talking about?? i have heard about it...but never found where i can buy it..I went to an auto shop and bought a drain plug that has a rubber tip on it and u screw a bolt through it and it expands to fit the hole. Working so far but i would like to make the origional drain plug work.
www.ronnies.com

just research under "oil pump" for your particular machine..

in my case the Eiger 400 series has the plate that I can undo 4 b olts and go from there.

Old 06-17-2004 | 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

It helps if you mention what machine you're talking about.

LT drain plugs thread directly into the engine case. When mine stripped, I had a local shop rethread it with the engine assembled. I don't know how they did it because there is very little clearance up into the engine. The new threads were very thin and it was kinda crappy. When I did the bottom end, I had it repaired properly. New aluminum was welded onto the area and it was tapped to the same bolt size that it was originally.