Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

front wheel drive quadrunner 500

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2000, 02:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were at the dunes today and my four wheel drive 98 quadrunner became a front wheel drive. I pulled it back to the trailer and brought it home. The rear driveline acts like it has stripped the splines on the driveline where it goes into the final drive. I lifted the back end up into the air and you can somewhat easily turn the rear wheels, and the driveline between the final drive and the engine vibarates, but doesnt spin. I have a repair manual for the machine, and this doesnt look like a difficult job. Here are my questions - Is this a job I should attempt myself? There are a number of special tools that will be needed, but can I make it work without them? What causes this failure and is it an expensive one to fix? Am i better off taking it to a shop, and if so do they need the whole bike (could I just take the rear end?)? Alot of questions I know but any help would be appreciated. I must say that the front diff is very good on these bikes, both front tires pulled as hard as they could to dig into the sand! It should also be noted the oil looks like chocolate milk. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Old 08-07-2000, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've got the manual and the inclination, you can take it down to the limit of your capability--if repairs are beyond you, evacuate it to the shop. Maybe you can do a drivetrain/collar replacement yourself, if that's the problem.

The "chocolate milk" may be water-conatminated final drive lubricant, contributing to rear final drive gear failure--let's hope not!

Tree Farmer

Old 08-07-2000, 04:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im sure the quadrunner 500 and the arctic cat 500 have the same rears,post this question in the ac forum,boner just went through the same thing so he can give you a good idea what your in for