Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

My Quadracer blubbers on the top end

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004 | 06:38 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default My Quadracer blubbers on the top end

My Quadracer Blubbers on the top end and feels like it has a midrange pull but not top whatsoever. I have an fmf fatty and vforce and a 36mm pj carb with a freshly cleaned K&N air filter. After riding a toomey piped Banshee which had tons of top i realize that my LT has none. My rm125 has more top. I think it might be the powervalve. It moves when reved but the bike only seems to have low end. I think I may have adjusted it incorrectly. I used the guidelines of an 86rm250 cause thats the closest manual i have. I assembled the valve pit arm and adjusted the spring 360 degrees and I have the stoper bolt screwed into the cylinder.

How do you know how to position the exhaust valve b4 the rotation. Does it only go in one way or can you put it in wrong causing it to not close fully... Thanks for the help

-Nick

Old 08-04-2004 | 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Which way did you wind the spring? It goes counterclockwise.

Old 08-04-2004 | 06:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yep, CC one revolution. A blubbery top end means too big of a main jet. If the needle is down too far and a big main is used that can happen, or the main could just be too big. A too wide spark plug gap can cause higher rpm problems, but usually cutting out instead of blubbery.

Old 08-04-2004 | 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

What should the spark plug gab be set at?

Old 08-04-2004 | 10:36 PM
|
Trailblazer

Do you know what the Gap should be set at? I did wind it counterclockwise. The spring feels good and the valve moves. Is their a way to put the povervalve in wrong so that it won't be in the right position when its opened. The bottom end is incredible but the top leaves something to be desired. Ive had it jetted leaner and it still did it. I don't get it. It don't break up one bit on the bottom end.... runs as clean as a 4stroke off the bottom. If anyone has a banshee does the LT compare at all on top or am I posibly expecting too much. I already know the LT blows it away in bottom end power and handling!!!

Old 08-04-2004 | 10:43 PM
|
Trailblazer

yep, CC one revolution. A blubbery top end means too big of a main jet. If the needle is down too far and a big main is used that can happen, or the main could just be too big. A too wide spark plug gap can cause higher rpm problems, but usually cutting out instead of blubbery.

-------------------------
Honda 330R Dana's, 350cc Banshee (4.79 in 300ft), 91 Suzuki LT250R, 2001 Scrammy 400 HPD pipe,clutching,Suzuki LT80 race modded

Bubba, I noticed you have an LT and a banshee. Does the Lt have anywhere near the top end power of a banshee or am i just expecting too much... Ive also heard that when a machine has a lot of top and lackluster bottom it gives the rider the feeling that the bike is more powerful because of the hard top end hit. Ive rode both a stock and Toomey piped banshee and both felt like they had more top than my Lt ESPECIALLY THE TOOMEY PIPED ONE...WOW!!!! For bottom end though nothing beats the LT!!! Also since I have never had much ride time on a 250 does it have a powerband like a 125 or is it just torquier. To me my 125 has all top with a hard powerband hit.... but absolutely no mid and bottom.
Thanks for all your help!!!

Old 08-05-2004 | 11:36 AM
Range Rover

Sounds like your main jet is too fat. Try running with you air box lid off and see how that goes (or may already have done this).

Do you know what size main you are running?

Old 08-05-2004 | 12:48 PM
|
Trailblazer

Stock jetting on the Keihin 36mm PJ Carb is 80 pilot, 185 main, needle clip position, 3rd. With the 185 it ran too lean and melted the piston near the exhaust port. With the 200 main jet the piston started to warp after about 20hrs. Not to the point where is was melting or pitting though. I now have a 230 main with the stock 80 pilot and the needle clip to the richest cause I'm afraid of blowing another expensive piston. The plug color is black but never wet looking. only the insulator is black not the metal part at all that is clean (some of my other bikes that run better make the whole plug look wet and oily so i figured if they are not too rich then how could my LT be. My mods are pretty extensive The only thing that I don't have is port and polish pretty much. With this setup what type of main jet do you recommend. Everyone says that you want your plug color to be a light brown but I have a ton of bikes and all the 2 strokes have black plugs light brown on a 2 stroke just seems to lean!! My 81 RM125 ran with a light tan plug and it ran so hot and eventually blew up!!
Thanks

Old 08-05-2004 | 12:49 PM
|
Trailblazer

How much top end does an LT with a pipe have compared to a stock banshee and a toomey piped one. This is the only other fast quad I have ridden to compare my LT too. Thanks

Old 08-06-2004 | 10:20 PM
|
Trailblazer

PUt a 200 main jet in and put the clip position back in the middle and the quad screams now!!!! Thank you. What needle clip position are you guys running by the way.
-Nick