Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

help! 03 vinson seems to bog down when I am on the gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:32 AM
MJE
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! 03 vinson seems to bog down when I am on the gas

It happens constantly it seems like its just bogging down like theres not enough fuel or maybe even too much. I know I put the #128 FMF jet in my keihin carb a month ago...havent ridden it much until the other day. When I am going up hills it bogs down to the point that it almost stalls out. Ill let off the throttle and it will eventually climb out of the low rpm its at back to normal. Same situation happens when im in mud...it seems to bog down before even spinning the front wheels when in 4wd. Any answers or advice. I want to get the cam mod for it but I am not sure if i should just wait till i do the 581 kit (if ever)...or just do the web-cam (which i dont really want to lose the compression release)

Either way the quad is hurtin compared to before...however it even bogged with stock tires.

thanks

-Mike

Old 08-09-2004, 10:35 AM
MJE
Range Rover

oh and with the tires on there now the top speed i can get is only 56 mph. (which I dont really care about crazy speed however its nice to have the ability to dust everyone out there)

My front right tire is clicking slightly too like it needs to be tightened. What do I have to do. Put on my outerwears pre-filter the other day over the K&N filter without oil in it (figured the fine particles would be stopped by the outerwears)

-MJE-

Old 08-11-2004, 07:40 AM
Pro Rider

sounds to me that your running rich......If its bogging down when your hard on the gas i would have to say your getting to much fule. Pull your plug out and tell me what color it is. If its burning just right ,it should be a golden brown.....if its Black your running too rich, if its white ,your running to lean.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds like you are rich to me also.

Try taking your air filter out and running it around the yard, or up and down the street. (make sure the airbox is clean)

If you have recently cleaned your airfilter, or coated it with something like No-Toil it may not be breathing properly. Or if you havent cleaned it in awhile it may be dirty.

With the extra airflow, the richness should go away, then you will know if you need to change jets.

Old 08-11-2004, 02:17 PM
MJE
Range Rover

funny I modded the air box with several holes to improve the breathing capabilities...I cleaned out my K&N air filter but didnt re-oil it (just put the outerwears pre filter on top)

My mixture screw is 3 1/4 turns out...on a '128' jet from Dynojet. which I believe is a 145 keihin. Have the fmf powerline exhaust...combined with the K&N setup id think it'd burn fuel like its going out of style. However I've yet to pull the plug to check that out. I noticed it seems to hesitate at low rpms (just not used to the pull at high rpms with new jet in)...where can I get a new pilot/idle circuit screw? and which one would you recommend?

-Mike

Old 08-13-2004, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

I would think the only place to get a new idle circuit screw would be the stealership or a VERY well equipped bike shop. How or why could you possibly need a new one?!?
I put the Vinson carb (CVK36) on my Eiger with a Keihin 134 jet, so I'd think with your bigger displacement, a 140's jet would be just fine... maybe your spark arrester is plugged with carbon. Pull that stupid thing out!

Old 08-13-2004, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

Hey aksafari SMOKEY THE BEAR SAYS,"ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT FOREST FIRES!" MJE Has according to his descriptions replaced his muffler with a quality aftermarket one Why don't you ? The amount of power lost from a spark arrester is very minimal unless it s clogged and if it is then you clean it or replace it. My pick up also has custom exhaust, it rusted out and the muffler fell off. Mje your filter is designed to be oiled. and with todays fuel additives at your local petro station its hard to tell sometimes buy looking at the plug. It works better to have the exhaust gases checked but alot of us don't have the right equipment local shop checked mine for 10.00 and fine tuned the air screw.

Old 08-13-2004, 11:12 AM
MJE
Range Rover

I live at sea level and I was told by a friend of mine that no matter what my mixture screw needs to be 3.5 turns out...which i was kinda concerned because I thought each carb was different. It ran great when i had the '124' jet in there...but me being me i had to go and toss the 128 jet in there and now im bummin. V581 has told me that his bike was gps'd at 67 mph with his 589s on there with NO cam mod in the machine. I had a tough time getting my stock tires to 62 mph on my speedo nevermind the newer heavier tires. However I didnt factor in the idea that my speedo supposedly stops at 62 and its inaccurate compared to a gps unit. I dont want to go that fast I just want the power back at low rpm and a better transition from pilot to main jets.

-Mike

Old 08-13-2004, 11:14 AM
MJE
Range Rover

Originally posted by: aksafari
I would think the only place to get a new idle circuit screw would be the stealership or a VERY well equipped bike shop. How or why could you possibly need a new one?!?
I put the Vinson carb (CVK36) on my Eiger with a Keihin 134 jet, so I'd think with your bigger displacement, a 140's jet would be just fine... maybe your spark arrester is plugged with carbon. Pull that stupid thing out!
When i say '128' jet thats just the number value that dynojet has put on my actual jet...its the equivalence of a 145 keihin main i believe.