Some Q's about the King Quad 700

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Q's about the King Quad 700

*note this is steve2004's son posting*

I had a few questions about the 700

1) My dad has a sportsman 500. In terms of speed, what are the pros and cons of the two (i.e. which ones faster)
2) Trails. The sportsman is great, and i was wonderin how the king quad 700 was

thanks in advance

Old 08-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

The KQ is actually quite a bit faster than the SP500 and the SP700 (even the eFI one). I know because I know someone that has ridden the preproduciton model. It actually spanks the Prairie 700. IT does not spank the Prairie 700 right off the line, but it catches up and passes it

-The KQ has dual overhead cams (the sportsman 700 is pushrod driven), and the KQ has 4 valves. The compression ratio is high too. This is why the KQ is going to be very quick.

-The KQ has dual counterbalancers to eliminate vibration.

-The KQ is probably the best handling IRS quad, followed by the Brute Force. The brute Force is probably the quickest.

-The KQ will have far better engine braking than the polaris or even the kawasaki machines.

-The KQ has a seal wet disk rear brake like kawasaki's do (really good rear brakes never get water on them).

-It will have a locking front differential, which I greatly prefer over the polaris all wheel drive (which is not true 4x4).

A lot of features are like the grizzly, some are like the SPortsmans and some are like the kawasakis. I think they took the best ideas and added them to one machine.

This is going to be the best overall Quad out there. It may not be the fastest, or have the most towing. But it will be the best overall. Sportsmans might be great in mud, but they stink on the trail and handle like a fat cow. The KQ doesn't have the most clearance (like AC), but it still has a lot. The KQ will probably be the best choice for people who do many different things with their ATV, like plow, mud, sand, and trail ride.

here is a brochure that goes into a lot of details.

Old 08-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Range Rover

well, actually my sportsman is a 500 H.O.

so i guess w/ it bein a H.O. would that make the 2 about the same

Old 08-28-2004, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer

Nyroc,
I wonder if that high compression means it will require Premium Fuel? I too am looking forward to seeing the KQ I hope it doesnt have all the bugs that 1st year model usually does.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

LOL, the KQ is a 700 with DOHC (the equivalent of super HO), fuel injected and weighs less than a SP500HO. Your sportsman is no match for the KQ. Not even if it was a SP700, or even an SP800EFI, the KQ would still be faster.

I have a first year prairie 650 (also much faster tahn a sportman) and it was not full of first year bugs. It had one bug that I accidentally found while trying to clean caked clay out of the radiator, but not all machines have first year bugs.

I think it will run on regular. The new high tech cylinders transfer heat better so it allows a higher compression ratio.

This KQ looks to be the best machine out there in almost every way.

The only thing that could be better, is Kawasaki Brute Force is the smoothest ATV engine out there. V-twins vibrate less than singles and inline two. But since it has dual counter shafts, I bet it will be pretty dang smooth.

Suzuki was really smart to try to build a single as powerful as possible, since a single will weigh a lot less than a twin. It allows them to use the weight savings on somthing else. Also, they laid the head down really low to get the center of gravity lower than other quads. This KQ is so much better than a Grizz, Sportsman, Rinny that it isn't even funny. Now, the BF is pretty cool, and so is that new Artic cat, but I think the KQ is the best.

Old 08-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Nyroc I agree with you about not all have (bugs) per say but most do.The Vinson had the shifter and melted plastic issue and also the top motor bracket breaking.My 00 Kodiak had the water pump issue.I am more concerned about how fast they update things.Look at the 03 650.....air cleaner changed and the primary clutch was changed.Granted these are not problems but look how much changed when they went to the 700 in only 2 years.
I am also going to take a serious look at the KQ because it seems to be the whole package.I just can't understand why no one can get one for a test!!!!!!!!!!!!!.My dealer who also sells Yamaha and Polaris said he ordered 10 of the KQ's because he expects it to be a huge hit.Not good for us wanting a deal LOL.
As far as performance my 650 is BONE stock and will beat my friends EFI 700 sportsman....it really gets him out of the hole.Thats even with me carrying a big box on the back with my stuff and alot of others too.
02 650 camo

Old 08-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

I think suzuki may not have done enough promos. Nobody in these forums knows much. Therefore, I don't think they will leave the showroom floors as fast as the Brute does until word gets out.

You dealer may have been convinced, but I think most dealers are dumb enough to still try to sell rincons to unwary customers.

Old 08-29-2004, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

I definitely know he's convinced.One this that is funny about him is he has a blue twin peaks and he cannot give that thing away.He said no one knows what it is??? I think it's a pretty sharp bike and I personally think the Suzuki looks better than the Prairie IMO.
He did tell me that the 05 Kodiak IRS has generated more calls than ANYTHING he can remember.I would imagine that the magazine that does the first shootout on the new big boys will sell like hotcakes.
02 650 camo

Old 08-29-2004, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

Suzuki has some weird marketing strategies.

I wonder if they are delaying the debut to let the BF sell and get its market share up?

I imagine if the KQ700 and BF came out the same week, the BF would probably suffer in the long run.

If the above is true then suzuki knows that the KQ700 is a superior product and will have rave reviews, while the BF owners are stuck to their loyalties and stuck with a BF for a few years.

Its either a very clever marketing ploy by Suzuki, or a very dumb one to wait.

Old 08-29-2004, 02:12 AM
Range Rover

heres my opinion on the kq700.....dont buy a one lunger...the v-twins will always have gobs more torque.......and on a 600lb machine if you wanna get a good start youre gonna need it.....anyways im not all to keen on the whole irs thing either its what kept me from getting the brute....i ride to "sporty" for that....so when the day comes that i come across a kq and spnak it...or have to pull him outta the goo...ill smile and give my twin a good pat......

Quick Reply: Some Q's about the King Quad 700