Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Will a carboretor change help power the KQ's 280 cc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2000, 11:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try getting a pipe and putting a k&n power kit on it that might boost up a little more power but if you need more wheel spin try getting eather alum rims and mount a real light tire on it or get a set of tires and rims off a quadrunner 250 4x4 and if they will mount put them.
i hope this works

Old 09-12-2000, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the encouragement, pusher. The clutch problem you had could be something I should consider.
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 09-12-2000, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Yeh! I know, Bill. You weren't being too tuff on the kid. :0)
I think some good ideas are coming in though not any who have tried replacement of the carb. Eric's got a super idea. (His post is in the "Utility ATV".) Now I just have to figure out how to conveince the other 300 KQ owners/readers, that he (Eric) really could use the money. I don't think so Eric. :0)

Old 09-12-2000, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

Blasterguy, your post is good reading. I've been thinking about air filters, tires and wheels. All of which are in the future. But tell me, don't you kind of want to know if a carb would do any good? Wouldn't you like to get a little snap from the throttle when you punch it? Assuming you have a KQ...

Old 09-12-2000, 05:30 PM
Range Rover

sorry man i dont have a king quad but i want one but my cousin has a quadrunner 250 4x4 and i rode it and i love it great pulling power.

Old 09-12-2000, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

is there a vac line going to the carb, if so when does it pull vac? Im buyin a kq in the next couple of weeks and im considering trying the carb from my smaller jet ski, just jettin it down a bit, and since tyhis is an older jetski it isnt a oil injected carb, its a premix ski only, hey it will give me somethin to do this winter.im sure a bigger pipe will help also, anyone know where i might be able to find one, i dont want to loud of one, and it must have a spark arrester

Old 09-12-2000, 10:47 PM
Range Rover

you can get a pipe from dennis kirk and i thing a power kit too.
they get you your order real fast and dont charge shipping and handling its just a 5.00 service charge if your order is under 100.00 bucks but that aint very much.
i just ordered a set of tires and a front sprockett today.

Old 09-12-2000, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Robh, please don't take this the wrong way but I don't think it would be a good idea for you to purchase a KQ and then destroy it by attempting to put an older carb on it. You may never get the quad back to operating condition if you're not careful. If you're not a mechanic with some knowledge of small engines, don't make changes based on what you see here. At least, not due to my post. Spend your money wisely.
Just enjoy riding when you can...

Old 09-12-2000, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Actually Blasterguy, I've already installed a pipe (SuperTrapp)and jet kit (Dyno Jet)and they both work fine. But I'm still looking for that added kick to keep my wheels spinning up hill. I'm sure somebody must have tried a carb change on the KQ but maybe they have not seen this post. We shall be patient.

Old 09-13-2000, 01:37 AM
Trailblazer

I dunno Chuck. You have already done some of the mods I am planning on doing this month, or next. I just put some new jets in my carb and I can get 2nd gear in my driveway for fun, where there was no way I could do that before. I went to a 122.5 main and whatever the size up from stock pilot jet and pilot air jet. I have stock exhaust and air filter, so I am curious as to how much of a jet upgrade you got with your K&N power kit? I would think with the way yours is upgraded, a good set of tires and perhaps even playing with some jetting may be the best a person could get out of the KQ. On my `91 there are 2, I think, vacuum lines that run to the carb, but new KQs have a different carb, after `95 ?, ... still a 31mm I think, so you could get vacuum from the engine as it is already there. I have thought about the carb before, but getting more flow in/out of the head via valving and a bit more compression may be the true performance enhancers, coupled of course with more fuel mixture, however reliability loss may be a big factor. More compression = more heat. I have built a few small blocks up that are running well after ten years with mild mods, so why not the KQ? I just don't think "carb only" is the way to balance the power loss problem. I have been toying with the idea of a smooth aluminum intake system, air box and all, with a well flowed exhaust, a good flowing air filter, valves, cam and rockers with a new stock piston and a slightly bottem shaved cylinder. I have good friends with a great machine shop who are interested in trying some of these mods, but it all has to be adapted because where the heck can you buy the stuff? Eventually I will do these mods, but I have an old bike and am getting new ones ... 500 Qrunners, so when they are here who cares if the old one blows ... other then the banker! If it does pop on me I can go back to stock. If anyone is going to start experimenting on an engine to get any interesting amount of power out of it I can tell you from experiance that be ready with a good pile of cash, or a good overdraft on the bank account! I have been down this experimental trail many a time and 9 times out of ten if you are the pioneer you are gonna pay for everyone else's eduction anyway, so if time is a factor. I recomend a few people getting together equipment, dollars and experiance to see what you can gather up ...just my two cents for now. Good luck and great thread.

/Cyril