Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

looking at 160 quadrunner

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at 160 quadrunner

15 years old and a 160 just dont seem to match even though the companies recommend that size for age. If you are looking for a utility type quad i would go with a eiger 400. that way he wont outgro it as fast as he will the 160. in 6 months he will be tired of the 160 and want more. i dont own one but have heard from everyone here that they are nice bikes, good power etc. for 400. and you can get it in 4x4.

Old 12-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: jaybeecon55
My vote would say that you should consider a slightly larger bike. 15 is real close to the full adult size range, a size that the LT160 'officially' fits into now. While the LT160 will be a nice jump from a 90, I think a 15 year old with 11 years riding experience can handle more. Also, since the LT160 is on the small side for adult quads, he could soon outgrow it. I'd give a serious look at the Ozark or Recon or the Z250/250EX sport versions.
I agree with that. Also include the blaster 200(manual), trailblazer 250(auto), trailboss 330(auto),,,,,,,,and depending on how large the boy is and what he can handle,,,,,maybe a 400ex(manual).

I think if you get the 160,,,you will find yourself selling it in a hurry for something larger. (essentially eating the depreciation on 2 machines instead of 1)

Old 12-23-2004, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

My ltf 160 is a 1996. The engine was rebuilt before I bought it about 5 years ago. Don't get me completely wrong, it would be a step up but not much. It is a four stroke so the power band is wider. Did you have a chance to search parts yet? I was having such a tough time finding a cheap muffler,,,i decided to make my own. Actually repaired the original, better than before. Nice to have a gas torch and a mig welder too.
I have not been able to find the plastic fenders anywhere (cheap, that is). So I live with the crack on the front fender.

I need four wheel drives on my land in the dead of winter unless i have packed my trails down during the heavier snowfall. I have 3 daughters and the 2 younger ones have TXL90 which are weak on traction. But they enjoy them.

I am not into racing anymore, so speed performance is not on my list of top things anyway. Durability/reliability is.

I just broke off the reverse handle yesterday..so you caught me at a really bad time to ask my opinion. The dealer wants $66 for the handle and cable...cable is fine just need the handle.. "cant split up the pair" he says....

good luck

Old 12-24-2004, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

When my daughter was 13, she moved up to a Suzuki Ozark from a Honda 90. She only weighs about 100 lbs. She is already telling me she wants a bigger quad. She has no problem with the Ozark. I would recomend getting your son something bigger than the 160. He will grow out of it quickly. Look at the Ozark or the Z-250 for him. He will handle them with no problem. Just remember, he will grow, the quad won't.

Old 12-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh yes and another thing....when i was young i wanted this yamaha dirt bike it was a gtmx 80. my dad tried talking me into the yz 80, i should have listened to him, i out grew that smaller 80 frame within 2 hours. I wanted the 125 next,,,,He said no friekin' way kiddo...we got a 175, he was right again,,, that bike lasted 2yrs barely.. went to the 250 as a full adult, later went to xr500. now i Have a newer xr250 and wish i had the xr 650. Like i said before not cause I am racing anymore,,,it is just because durability....plus i am about 30 pounds overweight.

It is tough when looking at these in the store...those dealers want to fit you on the exact size for a couple reasons.....i think,,,let me know if you don't agree...

first,,,,they tell you liability..."cant put you on a machine that is too big for you"...where the hell did they come up with that? Unfortunately, lawyers,,i say 'unfortunately' because my dad is one of the "good" lawyers.. look at the sticker, on mine it says, "no one under 16 can ride the LTF 160." look at the 90cc ones...i think it says 12 or 14 i am not sure...but i know that an 8 year old fits and rides it better than me..

second.. it is their bread and butter...they are like real estate agents,,,if everyone sat on their house forever, real estate agents couldn't feed the family. same with the dealerships...they bank on you coming back to their store 3 to 4 times per person. that is more expensive than private school.

get a bigger machine,,, if you can put your feet flat on the floor board while sitting and reach the handlebars...you have the right size. dont let someone talk you out of a machine that has a bigger or smaller engine for whatever various reasons. it comes down to cost and what you can afford too.

"but what about top end speed ? that 500cc quad has too much power" have you heard that one before? Look if your kid is too rowdy on the quad to begin with and keeps flipping it,,,maybe you should get him into a safer sport. I think we have to be responsible in this sport and not try to create another show like "Jackass". Get a really good helmut and hope you never have to field test its rating.

A good quad with the power when you want it...

good luck,,,,mike
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

i used to ride a lt160 and i loved it. i went to a blaster, beleave it or not i miss the 160 sometimes. it was KILLER in mud, sand, and snow. mine was an 89 and my sister has it now. the only problem i had was when i broke the spindle, but there not made to jump a 8 foot ledge.... and we clocked it with a radar gun on a level paved road and i got it up to 53 mph but if i had more room i could have squezed a few more mph out of it. id deffinetly get one. there reliable fun and a good machine.

Old 12-26-2004, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

problem is if the thing rides terrible , meaning the lt160 then hes not gonna want to ride it, prolly complain how it is down on power.

i have learned the lesson you cant have enough power to go into, within reason of corse. my first dirtbike i rode was a 250, when i was 11. i learned how to ride a db on that thing.

when i went out and bought a bike , the one i had now, people kept saying get a 125, i said why so i can sell it in a mounth. dont get me wrong 125's are quick, but nothing has the sheer torque like the 250 i bought. there is no growing into this thing, it is basically everytime you ride you little by little become a better rider, by knowing what you can and cant do.

if you got your son a 500cc quad for example he will learn what he can and cannot do, my feeling is that if he wants a quad, most people that want quads, that they will own, really want to ride because they like to. its different from letting your neibor ride it who doesnt own one, but has a little interest in it, from past expirance he will probley crash it or, not pay attention.

v581

Old 12-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really don't think the 160 is a good choice. I started out on a 230 quadsport "back in the day" when I was 14. I was bored with the power after about 6 months. If he truely has that much experience, maybe you should get a new bike and give the 250 to your son.

Old 12-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

for get "can he handle it" My first quad was a LT250R that i road when i was 13. Now im 14 and i ride a 660R...think i can "handle it"?
Plus, since its such a big bike, its going to last me a long time.

Old 12-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

There ya go,,,hope the nay sayers have said enough....get a bigger quad...also if mr. suzuki is reading maybe he'll realize that the 160 is crap and give us a credit to buy a REAL quad. By the way,,,if you are still dead-set on the 160 I will gladly sell you my 1996 Ltf-160 for $1700...okay,,,okay not a penny less than $1600. Deal?

starts up great
good rubber
owners manual,,
what more could you ask for except for a bigger quad....