Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Let's Cut to the Chase: Re: KingQuad Reverse Idler Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's Cut to the Chase: Re: KingQuad Reverse Idler Gear

Well put Captain Quint. I'm sure I could wrangle a deal on one and go tie it to the tree....thereby guaranteeing a new unit for a low price....but I also am not that kind of person. There are people who will though, but thats the price Suzuki will have to pay for the shoddy way they handled this whole affair. I bet the beancounters will rule regardless however and there will never be a total recall on the earlier units. Many customers will end up on the losing end of this 5 years down the road when their extended warranty expires. I feel bad for those people in the future. On the positive side there will be no shortage of used suspension and body parts for KQs in the future as the drivelines expire and the machines get parted out. Theft rates of new units will rise as the extended warranties expire and dishonest people go on the hunt for an updated engine/transmission ....and insurance rates on all KQ's could be a future issue due to all the inevitable false stolen ATV insurance claims that will be made in the future by others when their unit expires. Its a near identical situation to what happened to Harley motorcycles in the mid 70's. Insurance rates on bikes at that time soared out of control for more than a few years over the thefts, and it cripped the whole market for well over 10 years. I'm sure I'll end up in a better resale situation with buying a new Griz instead. To bad....I wanted that EFI....

Old 03-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

This from another forum. There is also a copy of the original scan.. I comfirmed with my dealer today.

Suzuki recognizes dealer and customer concerns with this problem. We also recognize the need to reassure current owners of early style King Quads so they can operate their King Quads with confidence and that King Quads are fully backed by Suzuki's limited warranty.

To remedy these concerns Suzuki has implemented a 5-year reverse idle gear warranty for all 2005 King Quads. This extended warranty coverage will pay for all necessary repairs of the reverse idle gear components. Coverage will include both parts and labor, for a period of 5 years from the original date of purchase.

American Suzuki Motor Corporation
Technical Service Department
Motorcycle / ATV

Old 03-05-2005, 02:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Does this specialized extended warranty transfer to subsequent owners?

Old 03-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer

If the reverse warranty doesn't transfer, it's worthless. The '05 KQ's are already machines known for their defective reverse design which will kill resale. With no warranty, it will be hard to sell one second hand at all.

Old 03-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

The warranty covers the machine regardless of who owns it in the 5 years. It only covers the reverse idler gear.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

All this bad talk is giving my KQ a bad name.

Sorry this problem had to occur.

Rob

Old 03-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: robnhouston
All this bad talk is giving my KQ a bad name.

Sorry this problem had to occur.

Rob
No, Suzuki is giving your Quad a bad name by not backing it up (no pun intended). If they had done the right thing and fixed ALL of the defective quads, communicated with their customers and dealers, went back to the uncrippled ECMs and covered the reverse gear with an extended warranty things would have been different. As it is now Suzuki is screwing their customers who are stuck with defective quads and crippling the reverse on everyone else's. In the process they have not only angered their customers but seriously turned off their potential customers (myself). I came very close to pulling the trigger and buying a KQ and boy, am I glad I didn't.

Old 03-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

Here is the BIG problem. People who don't have one making comments on the "crippling reverse"

There is a handfull of complainers who have really hurt things. I Think Suzuki has done a wonderful job, your an idiot if you think they are going to replace everyones transmissions even if they have not failed... come on. The ECM is not much different than stock, yeah you have to use the override more now but so what, just dissable it. The whole 60 seconds in reverse thing, do you realize how long 60 seconds is ? You are sure to go forward before that.

I can't think of one instance were another manufacturer has given an insurance policy like 5 years on a machine that has a problem part. Remember Yamaha Raptor trannies? More failed during the same period and I know I got screwed. The machine is a Great machine, still the best in my opinion next to the Prairie 700. The CV boot deal, well thats easy, if you look at the a-arms there is not alot of room, snow packs in there and if it freezes around the boot and it will, something is going to give. Just clean them out and you will be fine. Its the same as any quad when you buy aftermarket a-arm guards. Common sense really.

Sorry, just sick and tired of this.

Old 03-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Grizzjeeper
Here is the BIG problem. People who don't have one making comments on the "crippling reverse"

There is a handfull of complainers who have really hurt things. I Think Suzuki has done a wonderful job, your an idiot if you think they are going to replace everyones transmissions even if they have not failed... come on. The ECM is not much different than stock, yeah you have to use the override more now but so what, just dissable it. The whole 60 seconds in reverse thing, do you realize how long 60 seconds is ? You are sure to go forward before that.

I can't think of one instance were another manufacturer has given an insurance policy like 5 years on a machine that has a problem part. Remember Yamaha Raptor trannies? More failed during the same period and I know I got screwed. The machine is a Great machine, still the best in my opinion next to the Prairie 700. The CV boot deal, well thats easy, if you look at the a-arms there is not alot of room, snow packs in there and if it freezes around the boot and it will, something is going to give. Just clean them out and you will be fine. Its the same as any quad when you buy aftermarket a-arm guards. Common sense really.

Sorry, just sick and tired of this.
...Put down your "Crack pipe" and open your eyes to the long overall picture of whats wrong with this ordeal.............Sorry, just sick and tired of this.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Range Rover

I try to keep the snow out of the rear cv boot area,and that doesn't help!The clamps have come off twice now in two snow rides while riding in the snow,and not getting a chance to ice up!My Yamaha Grizzly did not come apart in the snow!

Quick Reply: Let's Cut to the Chase: Re: KingQuad Reverse Idler Gear