Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Let's Cut to the Chase: Re: KingQuad Reverse Idler Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's Cut to the Chase: Re: KingQuad Reverse Idler Gear

There are still several people that aren't completely happy with Suzuki's proposed solution to the KingQuad reverse idler gear fix. I can argue both sides and believe both arguments. Having said that let me ask a question. If I bought the replacement part (a reverse gear idler with roller bearings) what's it likely to cost and how hard would it be for me to install it? If I understand the problem correctly, that would only be a good solution if I had not already broken my reverse gear idler. I wonder if several people approched Suzuki with a proposal that Suzuki sell current owner's the part, at or below cost, and asked Suzuki for Manufacturer's Repair Manual quality instructions for proper installation, they might get somewhere. If Suzuki is experiencing a very low failure rate, and I hear that it is low (from unofficial sources on the Web), they'd be nuts to recall every machine out there and install the new part. If the actual failure rate is 0.5% or 1%, why would Suzuki propose a 100% recall to fix it.

The Web gives all of us better exposure to problems - but a very few people can make an awful lot of noise. I appreciate how people that actually experienced the failure feel, but if, and I say if because I don't know the actual numbers, the real percentage of failures is low, it sounds like Suzuki is doing the right thing. Would it make you happier if Suzuki sold you the part (at a fair price) and gave you instructions to do the repair yourself or is the only thing that will satisfy you for Suzuki to take back your machine , perform the repair, and return the machine to you?

I don't mean to start a war with this thread, just offering an idea for consideration.

So, what does everybody think about my idea?

jim

Old 03-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Range Rover

It's a 50 to 100 $ part kit...but you'll have to take your whole quad apart to get the engine and tranny out, then remove the head and split the case to get into the internals, remove all the gears, replace all the seals, and reinstall with all of the proper clearences and torque. Anything not tightened down correctly would come apart after a few hundred miles destroying your whole engine and tranny.
Shopo are at about 2000 in labor at dealers. You might get a mom and pop shop to do it for 1500.
You will need several special tools.
Once it's all togehter you will then reasemble the quad. Keep in mind all electronics from the engine will have to be reconnected , all drive shafts, hoses, and frame mounts...a big job!

Old 03-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

1st off if I had one I sure would not fix it if it was to be recalled, and if they did do that the part should be free, and I doubt they would, but that would be a perfect way for suzuki to get off the hook and let you void the warranty by dissmantling the quad.Suzuki should fix this problem straight out. I wanted one but im glad I held off , maybe when this whole thing blows over, I hear they are great riding and have good power.They also are one of the best looking quads out there.

Old 03-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I certainly underestimated the effort involved in doing the repair and, based on that alone, withdraw my suggestion/question.

Thanks for the information.

jim

Old 03-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Range Rover

..its much easier to plan your reverse failure while still under warranty..wink,wink,nod,nod....but wait until your dealer experiments with someones else's before taking your there..I am..I will have a reverse failure maybe in June..

Old 03-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

It might be too late for a preventative fix anyway....even though the total failure might not have happened yet there might be fragments from any previous minor galling working their way into nooks and crannies of your power/drive line that will cause you grief later on. Its a no win situation for everyone involved. Some engineer ought to be getting an unemployment check over it......Well maybe not...maybe they don't get unemployment checks in China, India, or wherever they've move their staff to .......

Old 03-03-2005, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

I can't help but think that "small number of failures" will start going up when we get into prime riding season(spring-summer). I haven't ridden mine enough to break anything on it yet. I think Suzuki released this thing at the time when riding was beginning to be limited in most parts of the country. When it is below 40 degrees outside I usually don't think about doing any trail riding. I may be alone on this one.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Good point Raab!!!! I sure hope a bunch of people don't end up in a big line at the dealer's repair shop at the same time....but I got a feeling theres gonna be a lot of people missing some planned weekends of riding while their machines are getting fixed between waiting for parts and the usual summertime rush anyhow......ouch.....I'm glad I boat in the summer now.....

Old 03-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To cut to the chase:

The bottom line is that it IS a design flaw that causes the reverse failure. While it may be true that SO FAR, only 1% of KQ's have experienced the failure, the cause for the failure exists inside every KQ with the original bushing. I know that Suzuki is trying to do the right thing while also trying to balance out the massive costs of recalling every KQ sold thus far but in the long run this will cost Suzuki more in both repair dollars as well as bad PR.

It seems pretty obvious - There is going to be high labor costs involved in replacing the bushing with the new bearing no matter what you do, however - if you get to it before reverse goes out, all you are replacing is the bearing (and seals etc.), get to it once it's damaged and it's a whole new engine or engine casing.

Suzuki needs to set up a voluntary recall to schedule the complete fix under warrantee.

I can forsee many KQ owners chaining their quad to a tree and hitting reverse. I can't say that I'd really blame them either.

Old 03-04-2005, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

You are right on the money Jaybeecon55. Suzuki is listening to the accountants and lawyers and they are ruining their reputation with current and potential owners. Suzuki should replace all the defective gears with a new design, put back the original non-crippled ECM and extend the warranty for any sort of transmission related failures. Even if they replace the ones in customer quads now there is no telling how metal shavings or debris from the defective part will effect the long term health of the transmission.

Suzuki had a great quad with the KQ. Unfortunately it has a serious defect. If they had fixed it properly and communicated better with their customers this really wouldn't have been as big of an issue as it is now. When they started playing accountant and lawyer games and decided to sodomize their current customers and those unwittingly buying a defective quad it turned off many potential customers (me) and seriously pissed off current and potential future customers. That sort of bad PR is immeasurably more detrimental to the long term bottom line than eating the cost of doing the right thing.

Making the customer pay a repair bill of 2000 dollars on a 6000 dollar quad for a factory defect. That is simply despicable. If I had one I would do everything in my power to break the reverse to get it replaced and wouldn't feel the LEAST bit bad about it. This coming from a person who gives back money when someone in a store gives me the wrong change.

Quick Reply: Let's Cut to the Chase: Re: KingQuad Reverse Idler Gear