Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Let's Cut to the Chase: Re: KingQuad Reverse Idler Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's Cut to the Chase: Re: KingQuad Reverse Idler Gear

Well, all is great folks, and call me the stupid one if you like, but as of yet, I have not seen anything in writing from Suzuki about a 5 year warranty on my KQ. These "claims" that everyone has posted on the web is nothing more than hearsay to me until Suzuki gives me something in writing!

My problem, the same with many others, is the limited riding so far with the winter and all. What is going to happen this spring when everything gets muddy, and I want to play? Also, when reverse fails, will driving it still be an option, or does the reverse gear lodge itself in the transmission, making the quad immobile? Are you then stranded?

I did not buy the quad to be afraid to use it, or afraid to get stuck with it in the middle of nowhere.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Just posted this in another forum for something else but boy does it ever fit.

Another thing that annoys the hell out of me is when people feel the need to mindlessly defend the machine or brand they own. Their machine is the best and all others are crap no matter what the facts might say. Why on earth do they feel the need to exaggerate the power or capabilities of their machine? Some deeper inadequacy issues? It seems like they don't want to be confronted with facts or be confronted with the possibility that they may have not bought the best machine on the planet. It is like if they believe hard enough that reality wont slap them in the face. Like they need some never ending justification that they didn't flush 7 grand down the toilet. Even if they know deep down that they didn't get the best or worse got a lemon they want as many other people in the same boat with them so they won't feel so bad about it. It is like the whole Ford Chevy dodge brand loyalty cults. For the love of god get a grip. I mean I'd REALLY like to think that some people have the actual intellectual honesty to say that the BF does not have the best suspension in the world for instance. Or that the KQ has a serious defect that the company is really not addressing properly. Or that the Griz has/had problems with boiling gas.

At least when asked a reasonable question or presented with facts don't just orgasmically shout "OMFG the <insert ATV here> is the best ATV evr!!111 I have one and it ROKKS!!111!!11 get oen and don't worry abotu anything anyone sez about it and your will love it1!11!11! The company will take care of verything!111!I went riding this weekend with <insert other manufactuerers ATVs here> and my <insert their ATV here> and I had to pull them all out of the mud and ended up thrashign all of them in a drag race !!111!!1!".

Puh-freaking-leeze. Put down the fu-king pom poms and get a grip on reality already. God that annoys the ever living sheet out of me and I see it happen all the time.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Range Rover

How do you override the reverse easier than the Grizzly?I would think everyone would be doing this mod then,and there would be NO complaining about the ecm,not from me anyhow!The ecm is just a pain in the a$$!When you override it it is fine but the re-engaging of the override button and waiting for 5-60 seconds gets old in a riding situation,when everyone else is staring at you wondering why your sitting still and looking around,while your stuck waiting to use the override button so you have the power to spin the tires in a bad situation!

Old 03-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

On the handlebar just wure the two wires together that run to the override switch. Now the override is on all the time.

The letter is at your dealers, ask them to see it. A consumer letter is in the works.

I never said reverse is not a problem or the ecm is GREAT, I just don't understand the attitude of people when Suzuki has done to my knowledge the best they can with the situation. I know some of you are saying they should replace everybody's tranny even before it breaks. I just don't see that happening. If and when my tranny fails and debris ruin my motor, I am sure they will fix that as well. Until they prove they won't how can you argue?

As far as brand loyalty, I have none. I have no reason to. If I want a Brute I will just go buy one, so I guess I don't know wha you mean. I have owned everybrand and usually trade every year.

Last numbers I have heard from Suzuki (I have no idea if these are accurate) 255 failures over 13000 units sold.

I ish this was never a problem, but you hey you can go through life complaining about it and being miserable, or go out and ride. Deal with the bad when you cross that bridge. I guess I am naive thinking they will fix it when it breaks. From the info I have from my dealer and Suzuki, I KNOW that I am covered for 5 years, and I do have mine in writing, and my bushing will be replaced by a bearing when they do. My understanding of this aproach is somebody in Suzuki calculated the repair failure and figured it would be much less costly to repair the ones that break than all of them.

Old 03-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Range Rover

As far as brand loyalty, I have none. I have no reason to. If I want a Brute I will just go buy one, so I guess I don't know wha you mean. I have owned everybrand and usually trade every year.

I have owned everybrand and usually trade every year.

...Guess that would explain your lack of concern that the rest of us feel...

Old 03-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Range Rover

On the reverse override, you cannot just connect the two wires together. After the 60 seconds, it will time out and need reset. I personally have no problem with the new ECM however wish they would have used the moneys spent to do a proper fix instead of something that does nothing to help the issue.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Nope, not true. After 60 seconds override stops working for 5 seconds then full on again, only when you re in reverse for 60 seconds continuously.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

The override break is controlled by the ecm, needs no physical break as there is no true circuit.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was able to find and purchase a like new King Quad 700 (302 miles) with a few extras (winch, bags etc...) for just over $4000. After doing some research this is an early 05 model that had the reverse problems. My question is, will the reverse inevitably fail due to the manufacturing flaw or if I am careful should I be okay? Any input would be much appreciated thanks!

Sorry to revive such an old thread.