Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Well that explains why it was handling funny!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 03:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well that explains why it was handling funny!

A few weeks ago I hit a hole that had a hidden log, well more like a long skinny tree, buried in it. The log went through my cv guard and through the floorboard. The pop off clips saved the floorboard, but the cv guard had a large split in it. It wasn't until tonight upon closer inspection after an after-ride wash that I really looked at it. When the log went through the cv guard it came into contact with YES you guessed right kids, the tie rod. The rod itself is bent a total of 1.25" off axis. I'm having trouble putting pics in my profile so maybe I'll get them up later. The result was a toe out of 2"+ (I'm being conservative with this estimate). So I pull the rod out and upon examination it seems the tie rod is nothing more than a hollow aluminum tube?!?! I'm going to go and get some solid rods made up tomorrow at a local machine shop, hopefully they'll have this done by Friday. If not I'll get the rod straightened. Has anyone else had any problems like this? Done anything to prevent it?

Old 04-21-2005, 04:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

When I bent the tie rods on my sled, i just popped it in the vise, heated with a propane torch, and straightened...it was the same deal, hollow aluminum...worked great, never had problems!

Old 04-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

I was afraid that A) I'd end up collapsing the tube when I try to bend it or B) break it off due to stress. If I can't find what I'm looking for today I'll give it a shot when I get home.
Thanx.