Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Any “dangerous or risk of life” sections during your trail riding.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any “dangerous or risk of life” sections during your trail riding.

Just a little story to maybe change the forum a little…

Was wondering if anyone has any “dangerous or risk of life” sections during their trail riding. One section I occasionally take, has about 75 feet where the trail is very narrow and the tires have about 12,” before the edge of about 800 foot drop to the bottom of the mountain.....I have to “stand on the running boards and lean up hill”..with a 45 degree angle, so I place it in low gear & 4x4..I have to travel so slow the tires barely turn, until I clear that section….I would never think of passing through if wet or snow...I won’t take most people through there..even the experienced ones…

Last August I came around a trail curve with side brush, about 5 feet high..and a dang Mt Lion screamed at us from about 15 feet away, from inside the brush…lol..a pastor friend with me on another atv..turned white..!! He didn’t want to go back that way. I said we have too because the road ahead is impassable…. Then last June I had a stare down with another Mt Lion at about 125 feet away..it lasted about 15 seconds, then it turned down hill and disappeared in the woods..that was right next to our cabin..so I had to fence and screen the lower under side, so the Lions would not dwell under the building…Then three Mt lions we killed about ¾ mile away on the canyon hiway..so the place seems to be infested with the darn things..I carring a gun with me day or night..a little wild west is still out there…LOL..next time the rattle snake event…These events make the ATV so enjoyable ..But I fear the day will come when you will not be able to have deep lug tires on the units, and more trails will close..…tree huggers will see to that..

Old 05-19-2005, 03:16 AM
Trailblazer

Trailguide....This thread is for Zuki owners. As I remember you are pretty critical of just about anything with an S on it. Your little story doesn't belong here. Get a clue. That is, if they have those out in Dakotaville!

Old 05-19-2005, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

You only have 5 post, maybe youshould think before you speak.
On the dangerous side yes we have 1 or 2 that come to mind, one that we named the gauntlet, enough said. As for animals we Have ran into bears. Spooking a herd of elk can be life threating too. But the most dangerous creature was a two legger who held my group up with a gun pointed at us, we accidently went on his land. Now I pack for more than one reason[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Anyways back to boesphus, dude chill or people on here will never help you out if you need it.

Old 05-19-2005, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

Ther are more polite ways to get your point across so why not reword it. As I stated to the other newby, chill out. I am not trying to be a jerk just think about it.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:10 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: bosephus
Where I am from we just shoot now...and ask questions later. If you are going to be such a pansy as to waste a little story on...stay off this site until you can write something decent!
..tsk,tsk,tsk,..my aren't we testy today... I'm glad as least you can read...stay in school & get those newspapers delivered on time...have a nice one...
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
....Trailguide....This thread is for Zuki owners. As I remember you are pretty critical of just about anything with an S on it. Your little story doesn't belong here. Get a clue. That is, if they have those out in Dakotaville!

...quadessence ... go back to your suzuki worship church..

Old 05-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

i was riding with my friend who had a YFZ and I had my warrior. His throttle got stuck on the pathway and he went flying off the corner bend. Luckly he cleared the YFZ when it went off the corner, because it rolled about 8 times down the hill.. damaged his plastics, left a-arm, tire alignment messed up, and handlebars were bent.. if he didn't clear it, im guessing he woulda been seriously hurt.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: quadduck
Ther are more polite ways to get your point across so why not reword it. As I stated to the other newby, chill out. I am not trying to be a jerk just think about it.
I agree, some members need to re-read their posts

Old 05-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Range Rover

Mountain lions are bad, but thankfully they usally have enough fear of man to run away. In MT. it's a Moose that can really ruin your day, a cow with a calf in a tight section of trail can mean death. Even a bull moose will at times put you to shame. Three guys that I used to work with found that out going fishing to a high mountian lake. The moose was in the middle of the trail and didn't seem to want to move. They honked the horn only to have the moose turn on the truck! broke out the grill and headlights and put a few dents in the sheet metal, and broke out the side window and mirror on the drivers side! On a quad you would be turned into soup!

I can't say that I ever go through life threatening sections of trail...but instead that there are many sections of trail that have that possibility...you just don't go fast and maybe you lean a little more then you have too through those spots. There are some on most all the trails I ride. I ride with kids a lot too, and I will usally take their quads through for them or stand in a place where I can pull them off if I have to grab them! We never have had any dangerous accidents, but I don't take them on trails that put them in a situation that will put them at risk.

I think the deadlyest places of trail are places we feel safe! Maybe we get a little too confident or a little too fast....climb a little too step or not pay attention to the trail enough because we "see" no problems...then wham!! Your on your back and the quad is in the trees!

Not a bad post...who wants to talk only about gears all day?

Old 05-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

the one time in my field i was on my friends blaster and he had really bad tires on it in the snow.i was going around a corner and it slid completley sideways so fast i didnt realize it and it gripped up. right as it gripped up i turned the handlebars and i jumped off. as i was rolling on the ground his blaster flipped completely over me and almost hit me! i was about 4th gear when this all happend. my friends said that if i had lifted my head up it prolly wouldve hit me, thats how close it was.

another time i was going around a corner along a bridge with deep creek under it. i drifted wide and almost went off the edge into the creek. luckily i hit a rock wit my back rim and it saved me! it ruined the rim beyond repair but thats better then flying into a 5ft deep creek in 30 degree F weather!

everytime i crash i always learn somethin new lol

Old 05-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Pfff, stupid noobs. You guys are the ones that need to leave the forums.

I do have this one section of the trail where there are HUGE ruts atleast 3 feet deep, covered in about a foot of water. If you where going and got your right side or left side tires in the ruts, you would just tip right over. You kinda gotta guess where the ruts are. Its kinda scary.

Quick Reply: Any “dangerous or risk of life” sections during your trail riding.