Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Tune up time...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune up time...

OK well its time to change the oil, oil filter, and spark plug. I am going to the dealer to pick everything up and I was just wondering if there are any little "tricks" I should know or anything I should pick up before I start this process? Thanks for any info!!

PS This is the first time I have changed oil on an ATV... any thoughts? I do know mechanics though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tune up time...

Very simple oil change on the z400.

Just make sure you remember there are two drain plugs. And I've heard people say they lost an o-ring on the oil tank drain plug but beyond that no big deal.

Old 06-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Tune up time...

OK got that all done, that was easy, a little messy though. I am also wondering. I looked at the oil and it looked like it has never been changed. Damn guess thats what I get for buying used. Well I think I am just going to watch it and change it again after its first day of riding and see if I can see anything wierd or what not.

Now I am wondering. I was looking at the intake and it is just plain horrible. I mean I noticed it before but well I guess it isn't too bad but I am thinking about just replacing it rather then cleaning it. Should I just go with a K&N filter or stock? Thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Tune up time...

Uh oh, I think someone just opened ye ole proverbial can of worms. K&N vs. stock. Most of this is going to be opinion though I believe it to be fact, come all ye naysayers have at thee! K&N flows more air than stock, but unless your rejetting the carb or changing the pipe you're only heading for a lean condition. You could probably adjust the needles to compensate but then you're just defeating the purpose of the high-flowing filter. Now, I personally, probably wouldn't use a K&N considering the conditions these quads go through with excessive sand, dust, and other debris flying in the air. Just my $0.02 and take it for what it's worth. Stick w/ stock till you upgrade elsewhere in the fuel/exhaust system.

Old 06-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tune up time...

Just a K&N alone should not cause a lean condition, I've put K&Ns in many things and no re-jetting was needed.

However, as far as performance goes stock VS K&N is another debate. I've seen dyno test with both and the only real gain is at the very low-end of the scale. The K&N tends to allow quicker air response at the very first second, the moment when higher suction starts. Beyond that there can also be slight gain in suction at the higher RPMs too. But through the curve the change is only slightly measurable. A clean stock filter in good condition is fine.

The only siginificant upgrade with a K&N is the fact you don't have to replace it, ever. You only have to buy one once. However you do have to buy the stuff to clean and oil it so it may be a wash.

Old 06-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer
Default Tune up time...

Do yourself a HUGE favor, get rid of the stock air filter! Not for performance but for engine longevity. They don't seal well at the mount. I highly reccomend the Noss Machine adapter and UNI filter. I think the UNI filter is better for dusty conditions than the K&N.

Check it out here.

With a small amount of customizing this adapter and filter fit my Eiger also.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default Tune up time...

yup get the adapter....you won't be worrying about crap in your intake....