Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

rear brake squeeking driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005 | 10:03 AM
2c3
|
Pro Rider
Default rear brake squeeking driving me nuts

anybody with any suggestions. it squeeks when riding slow. i only have 50 miles on the vinson so i havnt had it in any mud yet. i can squirt water on the brakes and it wont squeek untill the brake dries. just wondering if anyone else had the problem and if there was a simple solution to fix it without having to take it to dealer. thanks

Old 07-06-2005 | 09:49 AM
2c3
|
Pro Rider

anybody

Old 07-06-2005 | 01:41 PM
Range Rover

I think all quads do a little squeaking. I've got 900 miles on my king quad, and it is just starting to squeak. I bought a can of dry lube at lowes, when my eiger starting squeaking. I give all the suspension parts a shot of it after every ride. This seems to do the trick. I like the dry lube, because it doesn't attract and hold dirt and dust.

Old 07-06-2005 | 01:58 PM
2c3
|
Pro Rider

this is coming from the rear brake

Old 07-07-2005 | 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the samething happening with my new Vinson to.
The dealer told me that sometimes the brakes get a bit of rust on them.
He told me to take it out and get it up to 25 mph or so and apply the back brake half way and long enough to build up some heat and wear it off.I tried that tonight but still have that squeeking sound at slow speeds.I only had my ATV out for a few minutes, so I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens.

Old 07-07-2005 | 04:36 PM
2c3
|
Pro Rider

lol sounds like he wants you to wear out your rear brakes

Old 07-07-2005 | 10:41 PM
Range Rover

Maybe you could buy some after market brake pads for the rear end. The pads that came on my 2004 vinson didn't last very long at all. The newer ones have lasted much longer.

Old 07-07-2005 | 11:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

This has been a common complant on the kodiak too. There are some things you can do, some work some dont. The only sure fix is to replace the pads to a 'softer' compounded pad.
I find my brake stays quiet for awhile, if i really get hard on it,..but it eventually starts squeeking again.
For me, im just living with it.
Some other half way measures that work for others, and are fairly cheap, are the various silicone grease products, which are applied to the backing of the pads, where they meet the pistons of the caliphers. There are also shim products, which try to do the same thing. Check the local auto parts store, and youll find them. If they dont do the job..softer compound pads are the answer.

Old 07-08-2005 | 09:41 AM
2c3
|
Pro Rider

thanks hondabuster

Old 07-08-2005 | 02:44 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem. Go to your local automotive dealer and buy some break cleaner. Put your quad in neutral and start pushing it and spray the cleaner on the rotors. Worked for me, just remember to buy the quick drying break cleaner so it doesnt affect your breaking.

Quick Reply: rear brake squeeking driving me nuts