Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2-Stroke vs 4-Stroke owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-Stroke vs 4-Stroke owners

Originally posted by: Slinger Hauling elk out on a motorbike sounds goofy, anyway. Try a pack animal. Maybe an *** so there'd be two of ya.
Burnnnnn..... I tip my hat of sarcasm to you Sir..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Also the way a quad puts its power to the ground can determine what type of pulling it will do. For example if you had a ute with a manual clutch and chain drive ot probally wouldt pull as well as one witha semi-/fully auto clutch and shaft drive.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: midnite
Originally posted by: Niskibum

It's not just a matter of how much torque, it's where the torque is in your power band. 4 strokes typically have a much lower power band than 2 strokes, so pulling a heavy load up a steep incline is much easier with a 4 stroke since your power band is much closer to your shift points. A 2 strokes power is a function of rpm, so you have to get your rpms up before you hit the power band, which doesn't work well for overcoming the inertia of a heavy load, especially on a hill.
Not all 2- strokes have to be reved to the moon to make power. Sure a banshee doesn't have much low end power, but it wasn't made to produce low end power. You can make a 2-stroke motor produce as much low end power as a 4-stroke. On a 2-stroke the pipe determines where in the rpm range the power band will hit. If a 2-stroke has a pipe that wont let it rev beyond say 7000 rpm, and has a smaller carb, it will produce ALOT of low end torque and a smooth powerband {not much top end power}. If a 2-stroke has a pipe that lets the motor rev to 12000 rpm, and has a large carb, it will make ALOT of top end power {not much low end power} and have a violent hit in the powerband. It all comes down to where the motor was designed to make power. And whats with this "burning up clutches" thing. It either is engaged, or disengaged, just like a 4-stroke.

As you can see from what I wrote, I said typically 4 strokes have a lower power band, but I think that if you were to spend as much effort on a 4 stroke (which manufacturers are making even better every year) as you are talking about to change the power band of the 2 you would see just as dramatic an improvement without having to deal with the other issues like oil mixing, shorter engine life, noise, poor fuel economy, fouling plugs, pollution, etc. What I meant by burning up clutches is just that when you are climbing steep terrain with a heavy load you will have to slip your clutch a lot more with a higher power band than you would with a lower one, which is not only hard on the clutch, but a pain in the rear to boot. It's true that quads with cvt's behave differently, but that's part of the reason I bought the Vinson manual.

You have to remember that my point of view is one of someone that uses my bikes and quads not only to have fun, but to do some serious work. Unless you have done it, you may not understand everything involved with getting an animal like an elk off a mountain, but you can be sure that the low end grunt of a 4 stroke engine can be very usefull in doing it.

As for other posts here, I'm not even going to waste my time anymore replying to people that resort to name calling and insults to try to prove their point. I think those posts say far more about them than they do me.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Don't be so touchy man...... You have made some good points..... I liked reading your post....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Niskibum, I think your posting, what 25 in all, has been a total waste of time anyway.

You were wrong about torque/2 strokes so don't go away mad, just go away. In case you haven't noticed this is an ATV forum.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

What I meant by burning up clutches is just that when you are climbing steep terrain with a heavy load you will have to slip your clutch a lot more with a higher power band than you would with a lower one, which is not only hard on the clutch, but a pain in the rear to boot.
I don't know how you ride, but instead of "burning up the clutch" by slipping it to climb a hill, just use a lower gear. I bet those polaris 400 2-strokes utes have as much low end torque as a 400 4-stroke ute.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

Lets put it this way a 400 polaris 2-stroke ute has more low end torque than a yfz 450. Just like a honda foreman has more low end torque than a banshee. Race bikes don't give a **** about low end torque, be it 2 or 4 stroke. Utes don't give a **** about about top end power, be it 2 or 4 stroke. Again it all comes back to what the motor was designed for, regardless if it's 2 or 4 stroke.

Old 08-23-2005, 12:20 AM
Range Rover

Which 400 Polaris are you talking about? Must be from a different year, since every Polaris they make over 250 cc's is a 4 stroke according to their site. Same thing with Suzuki, and every quad other than the blaster and the banshee from Yamaha. I couldn't even find a Honda 2 stroke atv, as well as Bomb. I might have missed one somewhere, but it seems that the 2 stroke atv is on it's way out. I find it hard to believe that is only due to emmisions and fuel consumption. Probably more like durability, since an engine that doesn't come back for warranty repairs is better for the manufacturer, even thought they are heavier and more complicated to produce.

I'm not saying that 2 strokes don't have their place, especially in off road motorcycle racing, but I don't think they can compete with a 4 stroke in a utility application, (my point all along) either on a bike or a quad. That's why you never see a Rokon with a 2 stroke.

I'm not going anywhere enFORCER, I'm just only responding to the adults on this thread.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

Which 400 Polaris are you talking about?
I'm refuring to the scrambler/explorer/sportsman 400 2-stroke utes that slinger wrote about {as if you didn't know}. I don't know much about utes since I've never owned one, and never will so I don't know what years polaris made these quads, but if you compare these polaris 2-strokes utes to 400 4-stroke utes of the same vintage they would be very similar in low power. And yes 2-strokes were killed because of emissions, hell in California you can only ride a 2-stroke legally during certian times of the year. Duribility you say? When a 2-stroke needs rebuilt, it needs a set of pistons,rings+gaskets{$150} and most 2-stroke owners can do it themselves {very simple}, when a 4-stroke needs rebuilt get ready to pay out the *** {$1000 to $1500}. Hell, my buddies 450r has been in the shop 2 times in the last year and half due to complete motor failure.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

I find it hard to believe that is only due to emmisions and fuel consumption. Probably more like durability, since an engine that doesn't come back for warranty repairs is better for the manufacturer, even thought they are heavier and more complicated to produce.
Umm, all performance 2-strokes were sold brand new without a warranty since 1- they were intended for racing 2-serious racers tore the new motors down for modifications anyway, and that would void the warranty. My buddy with the 450r got his warranty voided because of a yoshi pipe, k+n, and jet kit

Quick Reply: 2-Stroke vs 4-Stroke owners