Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2-Stroke vs 4-Stroke owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-Stroke vs 4-Stroke owners

Originally posted by: Niskibum
Sorry, but this just isn't true. A 4 stroke that is taken care of can last much longer than that, take my tt350 for an example. It is a 1986 that is still running strong, and has never had anything done to it other than oil, filters, and plugs. Where are you getting these numbers?[/quote]

Sorry but it is true. And how often do you ride that 86? If I didn't ride one of my shee very often it wouldn't need rebuilt for 10 years. If a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke are both ridden often the 2-stroke rings last 1 1/2 to 2 years, and a 4-stroke will last 5-7 years. This is fact. Dude, I'm 35 and have been riding since I was 11. I've owned 14 atv in my life {mostly 4-strokes, and mostly trikes}. I know from experience how long motors last, because I've rebuilt my share of them.

Old 08-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
If 2 strokes cant/dont make any low end power, how come the majority of trials bikes are powered by 2 stroke engines?

And midnite, the crank on a 2 stroke is not bathed in oil with the tranny. The premix or injection lubes the top and bottom end of a 2 stroke.
Sorry buddie, this isn't correct. The premix or injection system only lubes the rings, piston, and cylinder {thats why you mix the oil with gas}. The crank, clutch, and tranny sit in the crank case, which has a couple quarts of oil sitting in there. There is no way you want premix lubbing your bottom end.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:07 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by: midnite

Sorry buddie, this isn't correct. The premix or injection system only lubes the rings, piston, and cylinder {thats why you mix the oil with gas}. The crank, clutch, and tranny sit in the crank case, which has a couple quarts of oil sitting in there. There is no way you want premix lubbing your bottom end.
I beg to differ. I have had every 2 stroke(and thumper except for the mini trail) I own down to split cases and none of them have the crank connected to the tranny/clutch. Now every 4 stroke that I own does. I think your confused. Have you ever spilt the cases on a 2 stroke? How is the crank seperated from the piston in your engines? Have you ever seen a honda odyssey engine? 2stroke/no tranny. how is the crank lubed? Not to mention all the 2 strokes with a CVT.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

MWQ is right.... That is one of the reasons you can run a 2 stroke engine in any position...
Because there is no crankcase oil.... The crank is lubed by the gas/oil mix...

Old 08-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

No I havent spilt the cases of a 2-stroke, {all i've done to my 2-stroke are clutches, and ring jobs} but have plenty of 4-strokes. You may be right, I'll look in my clymers.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:19 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

No I havent spilt the cases of a 2-stroke, {all i've done to my 2-stroke are clutches, and ring jobs} but have plenty of 4-strokes. You may be right, I'll look in my clymers.
Trust me on this one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Another couple of examples of 2 strokes without gear boxes(tranny oil) are weed wackers and chain saws.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

You guys are right, the crank is sealed from the tranny oil. Hmm, I learn something new every day.

Old 08-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Niskibum
Sorry, but this just isn't true. A 4 stroke that is taken care of can last much longer than that, take my tt350 for an example. It is a 1986 that is still running strong, and has never had anything done to it other than oil, filters, and plugs. Where are you getting these numbers?
Sorry but it is true. And how often do you ride that 86? If I didn't ride one of my shee very often it wouldn't need rebuilt for 10 years. If a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke are both ridden often the 2-stroke rings last 1 1/2 to 2 years, and a 4-stroke will last 5-7 years. This is fact. Dude, I'm 35 and have been riding since I was 11. I've owned 14 atv in my life {mostly 4-strokes, and mostly trikes}. I know from experience how long motors last, because I've rebuilt my share of them.[/quote]

Try again, that bike gets ridden hard every hunting season, and carries big loads frequently. Obviously from the last couple of posts on this thread you don't know as much about engines as you think you do. Perhaps this is why you have to rebuild them so much, proper maintenance goes a long way toward preventing breakdowns. I am 40 and have been riding bikes since about 12, I've had my share of bikes as well both street and dirt (still on my first quad) and have only had to rebuild two engines, both of them 2 strokes.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Range Rover

How about we scrap them both and just get one of these?

They have some definite advantages.

"- The engine size and weight will be at least 1/5 of the conventional piston engine.
- The Quasiturbine is so quiet, that little muffler sound attenuator would be required.
- Being a zerovibration engine, no special damping support is required, neither a separated and well-insulated engine compartment.
- The Quasiturbine being a low rpm high torque engine, there will be no need for a conventional gearbox (except for reverse).
However, a constant gear ratio may be required such that at maximum loaded engine rpm, the vehicle is going near its maximum speed.
- Furthermore, since the quasiturbine can run in all orientations, it could easily be fixed with vertical shaft (with only a clutch, no gearbox) directly on the wheel differential, having its driving shaft directed up-ward straight into the Quasiturbine.
- Alternatively, since both ends of the Quasiturbine shaft can give full take-off power, it could be located with the shaft in line within two wheels.
- More thermodynamically efficient. Saving an extra 8 to 10% by suppressing the gearbox, and substantial additional saving over the vehicle live time by weight reduction.
- Less polluant (500 times less NOx ?).
- Idle can be as low as 200 rpm; and 0 rpm (complete stop and restart when needed) for fluid energy converter mode (pneumatic, steam, cryogenic ...).
QT50 maximum revolution is 3000 rpm, QT400 maximum revolution is 2000 rpm (higher value may be possible ?).
- Unseen accelerations ! The Quasiturbine has no dead time and no flywheels (which are responsible for slowing the vehicle acceleration)."

Old 08-23-2005, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

I like high reving race motors, they need rebuilt more than "tractor" motors.

Quick Reply: 2-Stroke vs 4-Stroke owners