Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2-Stroke vs 4-Stroke owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:44 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-Stroke vs 4-Stroke owners

I have found numerous referenses on the web stating that a 2 stroke will wear out faster than a 4 stroke due to the fact that most of them don't have a dedicated lubrication system. (there are exceptions such as some large diesel engines).

Here is one.

I haven't found any that say the other way around.

True, it is cheaper and easier to rebuild a 2 stroke, but you are much more likely to have to do it, and more often to boot. Durability isn't related to expense, it's how long something will last, and one example of your friends engine is a pretty small sample to draw a conclusion on.

So how do you know about the low end power comparisons of quads that you don't even know the year of? Pretty hard for me to look at a comparison when I can't even find any stats on them. How about showing us where these numbers came from? Even with those numbers, these are just two examples. This could be caused by other factors such as detuning. We need a much wider sampling to get any real results.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:47 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: midnite
Originally posted by: Niskibum
I find it hard to believe that is only due to emmisions and fuel consumption. Probably more like durability, since an engine that doesn't come back for warranty repairs is better for the manufacturer, even thought they are heavier and more complicated to produce.
Umm, all performance 2-strokes were sold brand new without a warranty since 1- they were intended for racing 2-serious racers tore the new motors down for modifications anyway, and that would void the warranty. My buddy with the 450r got his warranty voided because of a yoshi pipe, k+n, and jet kit

I never said we were limiting this to "perfomance" engines. That's a small percentage of all the engines out there.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

So how do you know about the low end power comparisons of quads that you don't even know the year of? Pretty hard for me to look at a comparison when I can't even find any stats on them.
Come on, use your common sense. Do you really think those polaris 400 2-stroke utes have the power delivery of a 250r, or banshee? It would be assanine to put that type of power delivery in a ute.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

True, it is cheaper and easier to rebuild a 2 stroke, but you are much more likely to have to do it, and more often to boot.
Yep, every 1 1/2 to 2 years a banshee needs pistons and rings, $150. Every 5-7 years a 4-stroke needs rebuilt {$1000 to $1500}. My old ds needed the valves shimmed every 100 hours of use {as the factory recomends} to stay in tune. Hell, its easier to ring a banshee every 1 1/2 to 2 years , than it is to shim the valves of a 4-stroke every 100 hours of use. True, 2-stroke rings wear out quicker than a 4-strokes rings. So what, they are simple to replace. Takes 3-4 hours maximum every 1 1/2 to 2 years. Big deal.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:57 AM
Pro Rider

I have found numerous referenses on the web stating that a 2 stroke will wear out faster than a 4 stroke due to the fact that most of them don't have a dedicated lubrication system.
A dedicated lubrication system. Hmm. Well lets see, the 2-stroke crank and tranny are bathed in oil. The rings are lubed by premix. Hmmm, well thats all there is to a 2-stroke motor. Where would an oil pump send oil to?

Old 08-23-2005, 04:15 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, show me any 2-stroke with a dedicated lubrication system.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:52 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

If 2 strokes cant/dont make any low end power, how come the majority of trials bikes are powered by 2 stroke engines?

And midnite, the crank on a 2 stroke is not bathed in oil with the tranny. The premix or injection lubes the top and bottom end of a 2 stroke.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Range Rover

So how do you know about the low end power comparisons of quads that you don't even know the year of? Pretty hard for me to look at a comparison when I can't even find any stats on them.
Come on, use your common sense. Do you really think those polaris 400 2-stroke utes have the power delivery of a 250r, or banshee? It would be assanine to put that type of power delivery in a ute.

So I guess the new 800 Bomb is just asinine, as well as the Brute force, or the 800 Polaris........

Old 08-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Range Rover

True, it is cheaper and easier to rebuild a 2 stroke, but you are much more likely to have to do it, and more often to boot.
Yep, every 1 1/2 to 2 years a banshee needs pistons and rings, $150. Every 5-7 years a 4-stroke needs rebuilt {$1000 to $1500}. My old ds needed the valves shimmed every 100 hours of use {as the factory recomends} to stay in tune. Hell, its easier to ring a banshee every 1 1/2 to 2 years , than it is to shim the valves of a 4-stroke every 100 hours of use. True, 2-stroke rings wear out quicker than a 4-strokes rings. So what, they are simple to replace. Takes 3-4 hours maximum every 1 1/2 to 2 years. Big deal.
Sorry, but this just isn't true. A 4 stroke that is taken care of can last much longer than that, take my tt350 for an example. It is a 1986 that is still running strong, and has never had anything done to it other than oil, filters, and plugs. Where are you getting these numbers?

Old 08-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

So I guess the new 800 Bomb is just asinine, as well as the Brute force, or the 800 Polaris........[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ha, do you really think the outlander 800, 800 polaris, anb bf have the power delivery of a 250r. I seriously doubt these motors rev beyond 8000 rpm. A modded ds motor {by ron woods racing} only revs to 8500 rpm, and thats with racing cams, and a ported head. A modded 250r can hit 12000 rpm.......................................Just because those utes listed above are somewhat fast, doesn't mean they have the power delivery of a 250r or banshee. Any yes it would be assinine to put that type of power delivery in a ute.

Quick Reply: 2-Stroke vs 4-Stroke owners