Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT250R owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT250R owners

well i baught a winter project, an Lt250R in pieces. i was there when the bike was takin apart and have actually done a lil work to the chassis for the boy b4 i got it offered to me. Well now i wanna know what i can do to really make this ol bi*ch scream. im new to suzuki and dont know alot about them so whatever u guys do to ur LT's to make them run good or handle good let me know.

Old 09-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Range Rover
Default LT250R owners

Same thing you do with any old two stroke. First decide what kind of riding you are planning on doing, and go from there. Pipe, silencer, carb, reeds, air filter, port and head work. They won't handle as good as a comparable TRX250R but you can still buy axles, a-arms, and shocks.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default LT250R owners

An FMF pipe & silencer are a must, plain & simple. Next, if it's an '87-'92 a V-Force system or Boyesen Ram valve would be a good choice (pricey though) If it's an '85-'86 the reed valves are inside the jug & require a head & base gasket just to swap them ( B.S.)
After that a good pair of front shock will do wonders for the ride quality. I have an Axcalibur +2 axle on mine & it corners & slide soooo good. BUT...... the most overlooked handling difference comes from a quality set of tires. Everyone has his/her own preferences, but mine is a pair of Holeshots in the rear mated with some good 'ol knobbies in the front.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Range Rover
Default LT250R owners

a good set of shocks is a must. doesn't matter how hopped up your engine is, if the chassis can't handle it you won't be able to use its power.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default LT250R owners

The lt handles better than any other quad out there besides the new 450's in my opinion(and the honda 250 ggrrr,)in the right condition with aftermarket front shocks they handle EXTREMELY well,and are very very light. My 88 lt has a paul turner pipe and fat boy silencer,and a k&n filter,other than that the motor is stock and it freaking screams! Back in the late 80's the lt's won a lot of pro races too.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default LT250R owners

Well heres what my plans are for the bike and tell me what u think.? bored, (stroked if i can find a crank) port and polish job, a good set of reeds(ill experiment with different kinds) KN filter, carb work if not a different carb, and a cool head if they make one i havent even checked yet to see if they do. As for looks im hopin for a candy-apple red frame, +2 arms, +2+2 axle, all new suspension, all new wheels and tires and black plastic with a red radiator cover. now thats what my goal is for what i want this thing to be next summer. Its my first ground up 4wheeler build so ull just have to bare with me on timing and all that good stuff and im sure ill be askin for help alot through this fall and winter.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default LT250R owners

Sounds great!! The port work is good in moderation, my one riding pal had an '86 QR 250 and the ports were hogged out to the max & he had sooooo much trouble with it he finally said F-it, and resleeved it back to stock. A little clean-up angling & a good buff should be more than sufficiant.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default LT250R owners

yes i seen what you meant today when i got everything home, on my last banshee i worked with it just had two lil ports in each jug. This thing has got ports everywhere and the two main ports are huge.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LT250R owners

I can attest the CT national porting really wakes up the LT. You can get away with running some really aggressive tires on her, as they love to spin and slide the rears. If it still has stock suspension, you can get some real nice handling gains and a better ride with even Works Steelers. Which year is yours?

Old 09-10-2005, 05:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default LT250R owners

Mine in an 89 model. another question i had was with the back axel, i will add a wider back axle but can i get one that will take a diferent hub, i dont like the original back hubs on this thing?

Quick Reply: LT250R owners