Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet?

There really isn't an accessories area here so I am just going to post this here....

I have been looking at helmets and their WIDE range of costs...where does one start here? I really probably end up with a green '06 KQ and like a greyish helmet (with black) I saw in a mag and the guy was on a green KQ. I guess more importantly than that is what do you guys look for in a helmet (besides fitting correctly) as far as PRICE? .....then what other features? I know I would like good vents as St. Louis gets very hot and humid in the summer.

I have seen prices from $69 (seems almost too cheap) all the way up to $400 or so with a lot of them around $200-$250.......what did you all spend, why, what name brand, where did you get it (internet or local dealer), and what features are a must...

Thanks

Old 10-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Helmet?

To tell you the truth....I picked mine by the one that felt good, and it HAD TO HAVE a SNELL M2000 sticker. DOT rating is JUNK!!!!! I payed $80 for a helmet that fits great and I feel is very safe!

Old 10-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Helmet?

Make sure to get Snell rated, DOT means NOTHING. Afetr that the differences are mainly comfort, noise, and what bells/whistles it has.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Helmet?

If you ; or anyone else would like to know about SNELL check it HERE and go to Helmet Testing

Old 10-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Helmet?

definitly make sure its got the snell approval sticker. Just means its safer thats all. However much money you are willing to throw at a helmet...go crazy. I mean you can pay $100 for a helmet or $600. I payed 300 for my m2r and I love it. As you go up in price typically quality gets better, lighter materials and so does the cooling and venting in the helmet get better.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Helmet?

So everyone seems to be saying that Snell is the best and DOT certified is "junk"? So in other words, if my helmet is only DOT certified, I shouldn't even bother to wear it?

What is this based on?

I understand that Snell has higher standards than DOT but doesn't the DOT have some kind of standards?

Old 10-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Helmet?

Thanks guys! I did go to the snell website and I will def make sure that it is certified by them as well as dot. Thanks for that advice! I am assuming that you all bought yours AT a store so that you could try on a bunch to see what is the lightest and most comfortable!?!

Old 10-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Helmet?

Originally posted by: stocks
Thanks guys! I did go to the snell website and I will def make sure that it is certified by them as well as dot. Thanks for that advice! I am assuming that you all bought yours AT a store so that you could try on a bunch to see what is the lightest and most comfortable!?!
yep sure did

Old 10-03-2005, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default Helmet?

Basically DOT is a joke. I did reaearch on Snell vs DOT ratings in college. Set aside the fact that Snell uses different tests and demands different results verses DOT and the fact that Snell continuously updates standards while DOT is largley unchanged from the 70s as that is a topic in itself, here are the main reasons why DOT ratings are worthless....

Labeling a helmet as DOT rated is up to the manufacturers. They never have to be tested outside the company before leaving the factory. DOT testing mainly relies on random spot testing after the helmet is being sold to ensure the helmet meets demands.

You can make a helmet in your basement and sell it as DOT approved. If your helmet is faulty the only way you would get caught is if they randomly tested your helmet AFTER it has gone to market (which the chances are rare given the quanity of helmets out there vs how many DOT actually tests).

On the other hand EACH AND EVERY helmet labeled as Snell approved has been tested by the Snell Memorial Foundation--an independant organization which has no financial interest in whether the helmet passes or fails. Snell also spot checks helmets right off the shelf to make sure what they approved ealier is still what is being sold.

To spend the amount of money quads and bikes cost and then balk on protective gear is stupid. Ya got to pay to play and a $10 helmet deserves a $10 head.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default Helmet?

CBF2,

Thanks! I will make sure the helmet I buy has the Snell 2000 approval, which is the latest, right?

Quick Reply: Helmet?