Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

05 king quad tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 king quad tires

Stocks,

As far as the rims scratching I wouldnt worry about that much, a buddy of mine has the black deltas and if they are anything like those they should look "black" even scratched up. I too like the black look so I epoxy painted my stockers and they are holding up better than expected. I think the black looks bad a$$ with the bighorns. The stock rims are pretty flemsy they dont take hits too well. The ITP's on the other hand seem alot tougher and are about the same weight. I also think they look ALOT better.
Hope your job situation works out, gotta have the quad.

Utah,

If you do find some snow and play around with the psi let me know what you think works best. I agree, on hardpack the ride of the bighorns is alot better. Im surprised they would mud just as well though, maybe Ill have some mudlites up for sale this winter.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Range Rover

Apology accepted but not needed! What do you do for a living? Sorry to hear about the job! Good luck on the interview. I just gave notice today that I am quiting my current job. At least I have one lined up so it is not scary like you are dealing with.

I want the locking Dif on an ATV. I like the Kawi's better, but I didn't like the lag time from when you put it in 4X4 and when it engages so I opted out of the Praire. I tried the BF and loved the power but the ride sucked and the steering was much harder than the KQ. I want EFI as I ride all different elevations and in cold weather as well. I need more power than the 500 gives me (I'm 6'4" and 260 lbs) to get up and over the mountains in a hurry. I have not tried the Bomb yet. I don't need that much power and the cost is so much more that I can't justify the extra $ for what it gives you. I have friends who have owned bombs and not one of them have liked them (except for my father-in-law and his opinion does not matter!). I was hoping for a big twin in the KQ when they announced it but can deal with the big single. I am not sold on IRS yet. I know the ride is better but I am concerned with some of the side hilling I do and I love to slide the rear end around corners. The IRS will make that harder. I will give it a go and see. Anyway, that is my opinion on why the KQ over some of the other big bores out there.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

KingMe,

Yeah I like the stock black rims on the '06 KQ and really don't know at this point if I would replace them or not when it came time for new tires. I guess it would depend on money available at that moment. I would probably go with those ITP type 4's... I now know the # of holes isn't necessarily the # of large circles in the rim but aren't the type 4's the ones with 4 oval's? I like whatever those are....

Utah,

Why did you quit and what do you do? To answer your ?, I was an investment rep for a little over 3 yrs before going into that firm's home office to train new investment rep's. I took at job at MetLife calling on that same firms brokers internally to help them with their life insurance and estate planning sales. I wish they weren't moving but as MetLife grows (they just moved from Newport Beach, CA to St. Louis.....now Hartford, CT) you just don't know where they will end up because they own property all over the country.

Good to hear your thoughts on the KQ and I would have to say that I agree. Have you ridden one yet? How does it compare to your Vinson's? Can you tell that there is a ton more power or not....better ride?

I could probably get a pretty decent deal on a Kawasaki from our old babysitter's dad (and family friend) who owns a dealership in IA. I don't know that for sure but I have talked to him about it twice and he said to call him when I was ready and that he would even bring it down to the Lake of the Ozarks for me in MO, only about 2 1/2 hrs away since they have a lake house there. I really don't think I am going to get one....he himself rides a prairie but mostly for work use and says that most people like that one the best. He didn't have much to say good or bad about the BF. I really would like a good smooth IRS ride and EFI and that is what is steering me from Kaw...that and their prices are higher so if I can go out on my own and get a great KQ deal...then I'd be close to what I would have been hopefully. I don't know...the other thing is that I can't just come right out and ask but he hasn't quoted me any prices, he just says that he will be FAIR with me. I know for a fact he wouldn't even think about cheating me but I'm sure he'd give me the deal of all deals either. (not saying he has to...I understand that he is in business, but it would be a quad from a state south of his that he wouldn't have sold otherwise, kind of like a freebie)

The outty is too much money for me. The Grizz doesn't have EFI and although I am sure it has its qualities and things it does better, I just don't have it in my top 2. I am not considering Polaris or AC...it isn't that I have something against the USA (I drive an F150) but I want the sportier side of the utes and want it too be as light as possible. Like you Utah, I am 6'5, 255 lbs and that is enough weight!
That leaves me with only the KQ and Rinny and you know the pros and cons to each....right now I am leaning KQ because of the lower price and the fact that I would get more features!

Old 11-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Kingme,
About how much weight difference is there between the stock rims and the ITP type 5s?

I've been looking at getting a set for my KQ and just mount the stock tires on until they wear out.

Last year I put a set of ITP ATRs on my Vinson's stock rims (which I really like). The ATRs were about 7lb/tire heavier than the stock Dunlops that came with the Vinson and I could tell the loss of power especially on the bottom. The worst part is that I kept getting bead leaks with the stock Vinson rims. I think the ATRs need a larger bead like the Type 5s have to hole air. The good thing is the ride. Those tires really smoothed things out. I was amazed. I traded both Vinsons in for a KQ this past September.

I don't want the same thing to happen if I put a set of Type 5s on my KQ. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 11-08-2005, 12:29 AM
Range Rover

I won't consider the Rincon due to the lack of power and poor engine braking. I have ridden a KQ around a bit but not on trail rides. I did notice a lot more power than the Vinnie. The ride was smoother, but I can't complain on the ride of the Vinnie either. I love that machine! Just like Tim Taylor though I need more power!!

I work for a Medical software company. I got tired of the one I work for, too much stress and not enough support. I am going back to my old company. Great product and great people, only more travel so it might cut into my riding time a bit. the up side is that I can find more riding areas perhaps as all the travel will be in the West.

I will have to do more testing in the mud with my buddy and his mudlites. We should find plenty of mud and snow this weekend if he does not crap out on me. He hates the cold. I will ride anywhere anytime! I will let you know what we find if we can get some good testing. The only down side to the tests is that his 650 has more power and a dif lock so that will out shine my Vinson a bit. We will do our best though! I've said it before and I will say it again here... I am surprised at how the Big horns pull me out of ruts. My other tires get in ruts and want to track with them. It is a fight to get out of the ruts. Not so with the Big horns. They pull me right out with out a fight. I love that about them!!!!

Old 11-08-2005, 12:32 AM
Range Rover

Markdf, that could be the answe to my frustration! I have ATRs on one of my vinsons and I can't keep air in them. i have slimed them and the works to no avail. I have had them into the shop to find the "leak" and they can't find a thing. They are mounted on stock wheels. You may be on to something! Oh ya, I think they suck in mud and snow, but are great on all other surfices. At least that has been my experience.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:12 AM
Range Rover

Markdf,

I cant remember exactly how much more the type 4's were over the stockers. I know when I bought them I had them weigh them at rocky mtn. and it wasnt much. Ive never had any trouble with the tires loosing air that are mounted on them.
If you do find out the weight diff. I would be interested to know. Ill try and find my reciept and see if there is any weight on it.

Old 11-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Range Rover

OK, my riding buddy cancelled out on me today so no playing in the snow or mud to test different psi settings for the snow. Sorry about that. We won't get a chance to ride together again for a month or so. He is heading to Texas for Thanksgiving and is going to spend 10 days riding there, where it is warm and all. I hope we can get out and test his mudlites against my big horns in the snow this winter. If we do I will keep you informed. He did mention today that my big horns sure wear a lot better than his mudlites. His muds are losing tread pretty quickly. My BHs still look like new.

Stocks, how did the interview go?

Old 11-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

My dad has 26" Mud Lite XL's on series 5 rims, they are mounted on his Twin Peaks. I have 25" Mud Lite XL's on my Bruin. I have ridden both machines with the tires, and they are AWSOME. like stated before I cannot say enought good about them. With my Bruin, I can go places in 2wd that I had trouble going with 4wd before I got the Mud Lites. They are a great tire!

Old 11-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

Gents,
Thanks for the inputs on the rim weights. If I find anything out, I'll post it.

I'm convinced that ITP ATRs are a bad match on Vinson stock rims because of the bead leaks. I couldn't keep air in mine either. But I did like the smooth ride.

Mark