Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, only 85-86 quadracer shocks will fit. To plug the old stem you can do three things, weld it up, flip the old stem upside down, or buy flat stems, they sell them on ebay for a couple dollars.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

were can i buy jets for my 230s? i put my dg exhaust on and its backfiring and shooting flame *****. put a new plug in and its black but from what im reading its a lean backfire. so i would like to buy a couple jets that are a few different sizes bigger to start the process of re jetting it but i cant find any jets for it online. if anybody has a link or can give me info of the right jet to get that would be great. right now im running the stock filter but after winter it will have a uni air filter so i wanna buy jets that will work good with the dg pipe and the uni filter.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on ebay for "lt230s jet kit" and you'll come up with one result. It's a 6sigma jet kit that says it includes everything. For about $50 shipped I don't know if it's worth the gamble though...

I never had to rejet my carb after installing the uni filter and dg pipe, just had to make a few adjustments on the carb. I remember I had to turn the fuel screw out a little more and I can't remember if I had to move the clip on the needle...I believe I had to move the clip down a notch which raised the needle a little higher.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

@nate85

How did the installation process go for you when you installed the pipe? Mine was a freaking nightmare...I hate having to modify parts that are supposed to "bolt-on." I even went as far as to contact the seller and verifying measurements that they sent me the right part. I was told they were all the same and, seeing as how these parts won't be available forever, I decided to just make it work.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MIsuzukilt230s
Do a search on ebay for "lt230s jet kit" and you'll come up with one result. It's a 6sigma jet kit that says it includes everything. For about $50 shipped I don't know if it's worth the gamble though...

I never had to rejet my carb after installing the uni filter and dg pipe, just had to make a few adjustments on the carb. I remember I had to turn the fuel screw out a little more and I can't remember if I had to move the clip on the needle...I believe I had to move the clip down a notch which raised the needle a little higher.
ok i will try moving the clip and tweaking the carb. thanks for the info

Originally Posted by MIsuzukilt230s
@nate85

How did the installation process go for you when you installed the pipe? Mine was a freaking nightmare...I hate having to modify parts that are supposed to "bolt-on." I even went as far as to contact the seller and verifying measurements that they sent me the right part. I was told they were all the same and, seeing as how these parts won't be available forever, I decided to just make it work.
when i had one or the other tightened up it was a pain. after i got it on it was leaking because i couldnt put a gasket in it because there but i ended up smashing the gasket and putting it in but it didnt help the backfire situation. i may try moving the clip tomorrow morning if i can get to the needle easy. im leaving and going riding at 9am so i dont have a lot of time to mess with it but ill see what i can do and report back. anyways it was very easy bolting down the canister first and then sliding the header pipe on and everything lined up good. it was a pain at first but i got it. i absolutely love the sound of the pipe. makes it sound like a nice beefy 4 stroke and its just a little motor lol.

just googled what you said for the jet kit and came across these sticker kits. these look badass http://www.amrracing.com/catalog/qua...years-233.html

Old 10-21-2012, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

Nice find on those stickers

Ok the issue I had with installing the dg system was with the headpipe. When I took the old exhaust system off I also pulled out the gasket which was pretty well toast. After driving 45 minutes one way to get a new one I put it in, put the headpipe on, and proceeded to loosely bolt the flange on. Only one problem. Either the studs were too short or the "wider section" on the headpipe was way different. That's when I started comparing the new with the old and I realized I had to modify the new pipe. Long story short I cut the "motor end" of the pipe shorter so I could bolt it on using the original studs. Looking back I could have replaced the 2 studs with longer ones but that could have led to even more headaches.

Being that you had to smash the gasket just to get it together you could very well have an issue at that connection which I hope is not the problem in your case! Good luck getting it dialed in!

These pipes do make em sound mean don't they If I ever come up with a solution for a spark arrestor for them I'll be sure to post it here!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Some wire screen poked inside the muffler to give it more surface area will work as a spark arrestor.

I used to get jets from bikebandit, but you have to buy 4. Most places you will have to buy 4. For single jets, go to a dealer. Any dealer except honda. Honda has keihin parts that won't work.

I would lean out the main or lower the needle (raise the clip) and either turn out the mixture screw or install a larger pilot.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

If I can order a screen that is the same diameter as the inside of the muffler then I could get one that is USFS approved which would be the right way to do it. Then I could make an endcap similar to what malhombre has on his 230. I asked him awhile back and he said his mechanic got him a USFS approved spark arrestor screen but he doesn't know where he got it and doesn't have a part number for it. I'll get it eventually lol. The only reason I'm being so cautious is because I almost got the quad confiscated by the michigan dnr back in 06 while riding on atv trails through state land. He got done looking it over and said "everything looks good but without a spark arrestor I'm gonna have to shut you down for the day" He let my buddy tow me back to the truck approximately 6 miles away at the staging area while he followed. He then waited for us to load up and head out.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Wow what a pain. I'm pretty sure if you'd had any kind of arrestor you'd been ok. I used some brass mesh. It should trap a spark long enough for it to cool. The stock suzuki muffler just has a little fan looking thing inside that slings the air around giving sparks time to cool off.

Name:  aDCP_1656.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  53.1 KB

Old 10-21-2012, 06:38 AM
Trailblazer

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.