Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rotaxtwin
The measured distance is 10 feet. What exhaust did you build, I may do just that.

[Suzuki] 1986 Quadsport - Page 2 - Sport ATV - ThumperTalk

I think the point in rpms where it gets loud is proportional to the length of the muffler. So the longer you make it, the farther up the rpm range it will be quiet. However once you go beyond that cutoff point, it starts getting loud.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default Muffler

Randy,
Now that's really cool. The wheels are now turning. I think I will give this a try. I don't have a drive shaft but I got some ~3" tubing and will see what I can come up with. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The hard part for you will be finding the metric tube to match the header pipe. I gutted mufflers to scavenge that tube.

Also, the large tube at the end is important. It adds a deep bass note.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok guys Im new to this forum because I read through the suzuki vault that this is a helpful place for 230s owners. I recently picked up an 85 230 quadsport. Its in pretty good condition and starts on first or second kick, no smoke etc. I noticed that it would get hot and start to lose performance about 30 min after running it. So I started to go over it and did alot of reading online on what it might be. It had a crappy exhaust off of anther suzuki model that had a hole in it so I replaced it thinking it might have been restricting the engine too much. I replaced it with a full dg exhaust. I rebuilt the carb and bumped the main jet up to a 115. I took the airbox off cleaned it, cleaned the filter, and reoiled it. I was hoping this would help. Well got the carb all adjusted based off of the vault instructions and it starts on one kick, the spark plug is golden brown so it doesnt look like its rich or lean. The quad does have alot more performance after doing those changes but still seams to get warm and not perform as well as it does when its first started. I really dont have issues starting it or keeping it running when i gets warm but it just acts sluggish and hesitates when it gets too warm. Can anyone shed some light to what might be going on. Am I missing something? Any help will be much appreciated. Im very mechanically inclined just at the point of frustration right now. Thanks

Old 06-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Welcome! Electrical things don't like heat, so I would look there. Also, making the carb richer would make it sluggish as the temp goes up, though it would run really well when cold.

Can't tell you how many times I've almost ripped open a carb before first deciding to change the spark plug, just to see.

It would be tough to imagine the insulation on the winding around your power coil in the stator surviving since 1985 in peak condition. A good indicator for a bad one is if your engine starts cold easily, but not hot. The tests in the book are useless since mine checked ok, but was bad nonetheless.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your input i will have to go over the electronics, maybe my mid range circuit is too rich? When it warms up it seems to stumble when i first crack the throttle but once it starts to wind up it runs like a banshie, or if I slow down and try to lug it it stumbles but if i downshift and get it into the higher rpm it seems to be fine.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It *may* be anything. Carb tuning is an art

It does sound like it could be the needle, they do wear:

Name:  aneedle.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  10.8 KB

Did you replace it? And the needle jet? Since you went up in main jet size, the needle could now be too rich. Maybe move the clip higher and see.

Another thing with these old carbs is the floats don't float like they used to. That would cause a rich condition.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes I put a carb rebuild through it new needle was included along with jets etc. I'm gonna trying moving the clip up one notch and see how that works.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ok, keep me posted

Old 06-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

That def seemed to help I went out and dropped the needle one notch and beat on it for awhile. I did notice a slight performance difference when it warmed up but it was def better than it was. I feel I might be getting closer on my tune.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.