Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did you go up on the main jet? Maybe it's too big.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I read that when u go to the dg exhaust u should go up a jet size. Since I did the rebuild and exhaust at the same time I thought I might as well put the bigger jet in hoping it would save me some time. Maybe the jet is too big? It does seem to backfire a lot through the exhaust. I thought that was just because of how open it is. What's your opinion?

Old 06-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I've read that too, but seems everytime I reduce backpressure, I have to reduce jet size. I think the suction pulse is stronger. The air can't rush past the venturi fast enough to damp the vacuum pulse, so the jet responds with too much gas. If you had a bigger carb, then you might have the opposite problem... air is too easily pulled past the venturi and no signal is felt on the jet, so, in that case, the jet may need to be bigger to become more responsive to a weak signal in a big carb.

I have a long tube on the end of my carb that is connected to the filter. If I remove the tube and hook the filter directly to the carb, it won't run past 1/4 throttle. My carb has to be tuned lean because it requires a lot of vacuum to pull that column of air in the tube. If I remove the tube, then it's too lean to run.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hmmmm that does make sense, I will have to try putting the stock jet back in.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer

Been a long time since I posted here. Moved to Washington and put the 230 into storage in California. Meanwhile I got a hold of another couple of them up here, trying to put all the good parts onto one.

How do I push the rear caliper piston back? New pads. I can push the piston out with the brake pedal, but it won't go all the way back in with a c-clamp. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

Ah. I see now that the parking brake adjuster has to move out. Damn shame it's corroded. Guess I'll soak it in some rust killer spray for a few days. :-/

Old 08-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Brake

Open the Bleeder Valve n a C-Clamp should do it but if your brakes start sticking you may have to push that Piston out and clean good,mine was sticking n it had so much crap in behind the piston.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:52 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I had it all apart and cleaned it up. Then I ran into trouble trying to get the cover off the reservoir. Rusted nut embedded in the plastic.

Ah, well... It's all in a day's work.

Yet to do:
Case repair with JB Weld - typical chain destruction
Get it running
Swap around wheels and hubs
Fix the clutch / parking brake lever assembly
Clean some threads and mount the head light
Put the back plastic on

Then it'll be a good quad!

Old 08-18-2014, 06:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Case Repair?

If your chain slipped off make sure you check Swing Arm Bearings N Rear Axle Bearing.If you change the Axle Bearings with new ones make sure you take the Dust covers off the Bearings n repack them with Grease then install Dust covers,every time I replace Bearings I repack them because new bearing come with hardly enough grease in them,same think when replacing front wheel bearings.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

Yup, been through this once before. The chain popped off for a previous owner due to the axle bearing being trashed. I've swapped in a different rear end and was sure to grease the swing arm.
Although this quad came with a new side cover, there is some minor damage to the case that I'll JB Weld shut. I'll also glue in a stud to what's left of a bolt boss. A bit artsy-fartsy, but it should work.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.