ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Suzuki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/)
-   -   85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/226867-85-88-suzuki-lt230s-quadsport-help.html)

gforce34 02-20-2008 10:58 PM

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

You bought the shocks?

BigMc 02-20-2008 11:01 PM

You GO boy!!!<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BigMc

HEY, thats from this part of the country.<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Ah man, must resist, but the pull of the dark side is strong!!!

Cheap badass boingers....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI</end quote></div></end quote></div>

Nah, It's goin back to Cali, Cali, as we speak!![img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]</end quote></div>

BigMc 02-20-2008 11:05 PM

Ended: Feb-20-08 18:48:32 PST
Shipping costs: US $25.00
Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service
Service to United States
Ships to: Worldwide
Item location: Dover, Tennessee, United States
Buyer: poolgod230( 7 )

I stand corrected. You do gotta hair. And some damn nice shocks too.

defconatv 02-20-2008 11:09 PM

lol, I hear yas! My buddy was drinking a beer when we got ready to leave and I joked that you should give my 230 a beer since it was 21 years old!

OK first off I'll share the mods so far done:

-Military Ammo box on back for junk
-Aluminum case saver made from 5/16" aluminum
-custom paint including frame
-DG slip on
-jet kit (i think, not sure how to check)
-new hand grips (small but important)
-and alot of little crap getting the bike back to normal like:
-degreasing the entire bike (whole bike was caked with oil from broken case
-re welding one of the dg pipe brackets
-new stator
-spark plug
-installed front bumper
-stitched up the plastics with zip ties
-made new brackets out of 5/16" aluminum for the rear fenders
-replaced stator case cover
-had to tap 3 of the threads for the case
-had to JB weld in a nut for the thread near the chain since it was broken
-new gaskets, seals, and oil filter
-bought new kick starter after old one fell off while riding and lost[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

And now the mods I plan to do:

-maybe another smaller ammo case in front of the engine for more junk
-custom skid plates for the a arms and under the chassis and motor (5/16" alu)
-make some kind of lever for the compression release cable (bicycle parts maybe)
-custom removable pegs for my 7 yr old daughter to have a place for her feet
-get a key for the quad since it has none
-new chain and sprockets
-considering some day extending the a arms and swing arm
-rebuilding or replacing the shocks and all bushings and ball joints
-new tires and rims
-brake light
-K and N air filter
-hand guards with built in mirrors

And now my laundry list (most of which I'm finding are pretty common problems):

1. My quad won't idle! I mean it will if I give it alittle gas, but if I let go of the throttle, it dies almost immediately. Since I have no rear brake, it gets complicated on the trails trying to keep the quad going with the throttle, and braking to go around turns. I don't know if I can adjust it at the throttle lever abit, to raise the idle, or if it has to be done at the carb. Other than the idle the motor runs great, strong as anything, so I think it's just out of adjustment somewhere and not something major.

2. As stated above, the rear brake doesn't work! Honestly, I haven't really messed with it too much. I tried to take the caliper off but the bottom bolt is rubber and I don't see how it comes off. The top one is a star bit but even when it's as tight as it goes, the caliper still jiggles a bit. I planned to take it off, and use a c clamp to push the piston in like you would do on a car, and then bleed them. I still need to see if the resivoir has fluid, and if theres a leak. And obviously I need to get the caliper to be tight, if it jiggles it surely won't work. I don't know if it needs a re build? I guess if all else fails that will be my last option. As far as the linkeage and spring and all it seems to be in good order.

3. Neutral is hard to find (almost impossible), so reverse is a pain to get into. I can find it fine with my hand, but that means taking my hand off the throttle and then I have to restart the quad.

4. I have no lights at all! I have the headlight housing and bracket, but suzuki can't find the socket that the bulb goes into that goes into the glass housing, i know weird. They said it's different from 85 to 87, the 85 they can get, the 87 they can't. And to top things off, my wiring is a bit of a mess after who knows how many hands have been through it in 21 years, so once I get all the light stuff, it may still not work cause of the wiring, so I'm considering, if it's in my budget (which it probaly isn't), to buy a new complete wiring harness. Plus i read in some previous posts that theres another item that can go that will make the lights not work. I also have no back light at all, and I don't even see the wire for it.

5. The oil, what do you do, put a flash light to the little window on the clutch cover to see how much oil is in there? It's black otherwise. Should the oil be in the middle of the window?

6. Should I put some grease in the rear axle? I see there's a grease point.

7. At high speed (well high speed for the 230), the quad doesn't feel stable. Is that the front bushings, ball joints, etc...??? On the street it feels fine, but on dirt or gravel, I get alittle nervous.

One thing I'd like to point out, I just had to replace a perfectly good stator because the bolts backed out because I didn't know to put threadlock in them. If this advice only helps 1 person I would feel better. Cost me $140 for an aftermarket stator, and the oem one is $280!!!

And if your chain is loose, like mine was, don't ride the quad til you fix it, or your case might end up as scrap metal. I was so excited to ride my quad that I didn't care that the chain was way too loose. Luckily I built a chain guard out of aluminum and it protected the case every time it popped off (every jump or so). Turns out the rear axle was all the way forward because it was missing 2 of the 4 bolts, and the 2 were loose!!! Fixed that problem.

Just so everyone knows I don't intend to do a bore or cam etc... to soup up the engine. I think it runs good the way it is. I can't afford the parts for one, and from experience with my civic, high performance parts usually do more harm than good. Not that it can't be done, it's just I've been down that road before, and don't intend to do the high performance route again. I'd rather keep it reliable that gain a couple extra MPH.

And last but not least what is the code or html line or whatever it is to get some pics up on this thread, i have some pics to share.

See, rambling again....

Good Night all, and thanks in advance for any info or advice,

DJ230, hehe

PoolGod230 02-20-2008 11:09 PM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

You bought the shocks?</end quote></div>

Like I said before, we all should have listened to BigMc, the very first upgrade to made, is suspension.... Like night and day! Check out the moon right now, Awesome!!!! Once you ride better suspension, you will hook up better, turn better, less recovery from riding (Randal!) all that = MORE FUN!! So, yeah, I bought em![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

PoolGod230 02-20-2008 11:13 PM

Damn, you are a welcome addition Def!!!
Good to have another ear to bend!

BigMc 02-20-2008 11:15 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...hash=item280202143535

Ill take two of those.

defconatv 02-20-2008 11:29 PM

glad to be here. Where else can you get this kind of tech support for free?

I can't see the moon, it's freakin snowing here in NJ.

And dare I read, "soak my chain during the winter"?

More cold equals more clothes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And snow means fun!

I meant to add to my ramble,

I'd like to get a title for my quad. Anyone know of a place that still gives them out? I've heard of weird states issuing titles, and then I can transfer it here in jersey.

The reason I ask is cause it's completely illegal to ride anywhere in NJ. Park rangers chase you in their jeep cherokees, no sweat! State police chase you if I go onto a main roadway, going from one trail to another, they're not bad either, their crown vics don't do too well on narrow trails, but if I'm on an open stretch it gets harder, boy don't miss that trail turn in! My local cops have been arming up now, besides they're crown vics, they now have a 4x4 quad and 2 650 enduro dirt bikes. The quad i might be able to get away from, but the dirt bikes, forget it! I would probaly have to give up. They are the rumors in town anyway, I haven't seen one yet. And the worst, I sometimes ride on military owned land, and they can be tricky to lose. I've heard they can use helicopters!!! Not to mention, turning down a road and seeing 100 army guys standing in the middle of the woods, not that they usually care, but you never know.

Cops see you on a quad, it's like you murdered 6 people and their whole family! The worst part of it, I grew up in an urban area, and always wished I could have a quad, but they're were too few and far places to ride. I move to the damn pine barrens where there is thousands of acres of riding land and I have to worry about the law!!! If i get caught running, I can loose my drivers liscense, fines, evading arrest, etc... I have no title, so if my quad is impounded I won't be getting it back!

Not that I care, ain't stoping me from riding!

Sucks huh!!!

gforce34 02-20-2008 11:36 PM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

You bought the shocks?</end quote></div>

Like I said before, we all should have listened to BigMc, the very first upgrade to made, is suspension.... Like night and day! Check out the moon right now, Awesome!!!! Once you ride better suspension, you will hook up better, turn better, less recovery from riding (Randal!) all that = MORE FUN!! So, yeah, I bought em![img][/img]</end quote></div>

I'm envious, congrats!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BigMc

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-230-LT230-QUAD-FOUR-WHEEL-KEYSTER-CARB-KIT_W0QQitemZ280202143535QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 80202143535
">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...tem280202143535
</a>
Ill take two of those.</end quote></div>

I second that!

PoolGod230 02-20-2008 11:39 PM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: defconatv

glad to be here. Where else can you get this kind of tech support for free?

I can't see the moon, it's freakin snowing here in NJ.

And dare I read, "soak my chain during the winter"?

More cold equals more clothes[IMG][/IMG]

And snow means fun!

I meant to add to my ramble,

I'd like to get a title for my quad. Anyone know of a place that still gives them out? I've heard of weird states issuing titles, and then I can transfer it here in jersey.

The reason I ask is cause it's completely illegal to ride anywhere in NJ. Park rangers chase you in their jeep cherokees, no sweat! State police chase you if I go onto a main roadway, going from one trail to another, they're not bad either, their crown vics don't do too well on narrow trails, but if I'm on an open stretch it gets harder, boy don't miss that trail turn in! My local cops have been arming up now, besides they're crown vics, they now have a 4x4 quad and 2 650 enduro dirt bikes. The quad i might be able to get away from, but the dirt bikes, forget it! I would probaly have to give up. They are the rumors in town anyway, I haven't seen one yet. And the worst, I sometimes ride on military owned land, and they can be tricky to lose. I've heard they can use helicopters!!! Not to mention, turning down a road and seeing 100 army guys standing in the middle of the woods, not that they usually care, but you never know.

Cops see you on a quad, it's like you murdered 6 people and their whole family! The worst part of it, I grew up in an urban area, and always wished I could have a quad, but they're were too few and far places to ride. I move to the damn pine barrens where there is thousands of acres of riding land and I have to worry about the law!!! If i get caught running, I can loose my drivers liscense, fines, evading arrest, etc... I have no title, so if my quad is impounded I won't be getting it back!

Not that I care, ain't stoping me from riding!

Sucks huh!!!</end quote></div>

Wow, I thought Cali was bad.......
Here, if you have a minimum of a bill of sale and a V.I.N (left side of frame) you just pay a tax, um, I mean fee, and they put it in your name, and give you a title and a sticker that you have the privelege of paying a tax, uh, fee every 2 years...
Edit: But at least I can go for long rides in the mountains with a pistol on my side, a 6 pack in the rack, and the only people we may run into are some crazy azz tweeker miners, but we usaully pack more heat than them![img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

I forget who it was used to hang out here from Jersey... He was telling us what a biotch it was to ride there... Where is "Don" Soprano when you need em???? Him and Paulie could clear it up![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]