Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230
less recovery from riding (Randal!) </end quote></div>

Hey.... I'm recovering from hangin on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Its like doing a chin up that lasts a 1/2 hr. Do about 4 of them and I need a few days to get the soarness out. Guess I'm getting old.... Used to be able to do 10 one-arm chin ups. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

But, if this thing turns out ok in the end, I might invest in some Works. Btw, do you own stock in Works??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Stocks.... That's the next side-topic we need to start. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2008, 04:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: defconatv

glad to be here. Where else can you get this kind of tech support for free?

I can't see the moon, it's freakin snowing here in NJ.

And dare I read, "soak my chain during the winter"?

More cold equals more clothes[img][/img]

And snow means fun!

I meant to add to my ramble,

I'd like to get a title for my quad. Anyone know of a place that still gives them out? I've heard of weird states issuing titles, and then I can transfer it here in jersey.

The reason I ask is cause it's completely illegal to ride anywhere in NJ. Park rangers chase you in their jeep cherokees, no sweat! State police chase you if I go onto a main roadway, going from one trail to another, they're not bad either, their crown vics don't do too well on narrow trails, but if I'm on an open stretch it gets harder, boy don't miss that trail turn in! My local cops have been arming up now, besides they're crown vics, they now have a 4x4 quad and 2 650 enduro dirt bikes. The quad i might be able to get away from, but the dirt bikes, forget it! I would probaly have to give up. They are the rumors in town anyway, I haven't seen one yet. And the worst, I sometimes ride on military owned land, and they can be tricky to lose. I've heard they can use helicopters!!! Not to mention, turning down a road and seeing 100 army guys standing in the middle of the woods, not that they usually care, but you never know.

Cops see you on a quad, it's like you murdered 6 people and their whole family! The worst part of it, I grew up in an urban area, and always wished I could have a quad, but they're were too few and far places to ride. I move to the damn pine barrens where there is thousands of acres of riding land and I have to worry about the law!!! If i get caught running, I can loose my drivers liscense, fines, evading arrest, etc... I have no title, so if my quad is impounded I won't be getting it back!

Not that I care, ain't stoping me from riding!

Sucks huh!!!</end quote></div>

Yes, I've heard plenty about NJ in "other" parts of this forum. It must be some "model" state where they experiment with ATV laws or something. Best I can say is come south where the sky is blue, snow is rare, cold only lasts a couple months, and everybody has a quad. Its was 60 degrees here today... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

You'll need a zilla to even have a shot at losing a bike. The cops think of it as a trophy to nab an illegal atver. Around here though, I can't even get the cops to keep the kids off my land. They only give out warnings. There are laws on the books, but the cops, apparently, also own atvs, so they dont do much in the way of enforcing unless you ride thru town naked with your baffle out and a bottle of Turkey. Even then its questionable.

Here, I can load my quad on the truck and in 1/2 hr be on the mountain, no helmet, my girlfriend on the back riding double and nobody thinks anything is out of the ordinary. I can ride until I'm plum tired of riding and never hit the same trail twice.

I hear the guys up in Tellico, TN have it even better. They have trout fishing, camping, ATVing, jeeps, mud pits, hill climbs, miles n miles of trails, BYOB, party fest, but still kid friendly. How they get away with all that is beyond me. In GA, you can either camp n fish or ride ATVs n camp or ride ATVs n fish, but never all 3 in one place (legally anyway).

PG n Gforce will probably tell ya the same sorta thing about out west. Point is, its just a matter of time till they nab you. How much time is a function of how lucky you are. (ie make sure you have a good chain and use locktite everywhere [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ). If moving is out of the question, then PLAN on getting caught and HOPE you don't. Best of Luck!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BigMc

Title? sticker? TAXES??? What you guys talken about? I guess I still live in the land of the free. You'd think that there would be a grandfather clause for quads approaching a quater century old. Hmmm.</end quote></div>

You have some points there!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BigMc

I never found a need for the tensioner. I guess the longer swinger helps keep the chain from C.C.O.S'n. I guess its good to have a longer swinger[IMG][/IMG]<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

Def, I would advise getting a CT99 Chain tensioner they are sold now on ebay for $40.00. You can click on profile pictures because a few of us already have it and see where we install it on the frame. This has stopped my C.C.O.S from happening to this point.</end quote></div></end quote></div>

That could be with a long swinger.... Never thought about that! But with stock swinger, in order for a full range of shock travel you have to have the chain so loose that it will flop around and eventually come off. I've had times where I could ride as hard as I want around the house,,, jumping, sliding, wheelie, whatever... But when I'd go to the mountains with friends,, chain was off in 5 min. Then I got the chain tensioner and put an end to that.... Well, up until my last ride when my s-arm bearings went toast. Then, even the tensioner wouldn't keep the chain on. I had to idle back to the parking lot.</end quote></div>

The chain tensioner does seem the way to fly! After all the newer bikes have some version of one. But like anything that lasts, maintenece if the real key.
We all got to experience CCOS due to previous owners neglect.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

less recovery from riding (Randal!) </end quote></div>

Hey.... I'm recovering from hangin on. [img][/img]

Its like doing a chin up that lasts a 1/2 hr. Do about 4 of them and I need a few days to get the soarness out. Guess I'm getting old.... Used to be able to do 10 one-arm chin ups. [img][/img]

But, if this thing turns out ok in the end, I might invest in some Works. Btw, do you own stock in Works??? [img][/img]

Stocks.... That's the next side-topic we need to start. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

No, no stocks in shocks, that is an idea![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
They are just the least expensive of the high quality after market shox. Customer of mine loves elkas... Yikes! 12-1400 bucks to start!! He won't tell me how much he paid for the ones for his Rihno he is building...

Old 02-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah, you can easily spend more on shocks than the vehicle is worth. If I was going to do that, I'd get those shocks that don't have the springs... Fox Shocks I think?

Old 02-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

Neutral is hard to find anyway, even when properly fundtioning, but it sounds like your clutch may not be releasing all the way. Try adjusting the cable so the lever pulls more on the clutch cable. Also, what kind of oil do you use? You should use the older oils like SF or SG. Last time I at walmart, I saw some SF for 1.24 a qt.

New oils are no good for the clutches.</end quote></div>

124 a qt? musta been a while since u been to walmart, but they have a 5qt jug of oil they sell 4 8.00. been using it in my quad for a while. netural is a lil hard to find with factory shifter but a shifter without linkage is a lil easier

Old 02-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer

what is shifter w/o linkeage?

Old 02-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Trailblazer

DJ230,

Your chain has to be loose or you will bust your s-arm bearings. Last time I checked mine, I piled 4 50lb bags of concrete on the wheelie bar and made sure I still had slack in the chain. This is why you need a tensioner.

This is what my swing arm looked like right after my last ride. Imagine what they would have looked like if I didn't have the tensioner and my chain had been super tight. The bearings would have been ground to powder.

---my chain has some slack, but when the rear end goes down, it gets a bit tight. I'll have to look into that tensioner, next week, the 140 dollar stator drained me this week.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Trailblazer

Def, don't put an ammo box in front of the engine... Air cooled engine! Needs that air flowin!! As a matter of fact I am toying with the idea of aluminum are "scoops" similar to what I have on my ATC to funnel the air towards the engine... Thats about the extent of my usefull info![img][/img] I am sure Randy will wake up and give you some good info on your mechanical issues.

I am done for the night, Thanks ya all!!</end quote></div>

WOW, good thinking, sorry I'm alittle slow.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.