Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: OBrienChevSuper10

randy: haha yea i was -2 years old when the quad came out. Do you have any suggestions on where to get a big bore and which to go with? Would the 270 still be good for everyday riding? </end quote></div>

I wouldn't get the 270 kit unless you have lots of money and know how to build engines pretty good. Plus, the 270 kit is a one shot deal. There are no overbore sizes for it. Once the piston wears out, you have to resleeve again.

The 270 kit is for the 250S, but can be made to work on the 230S, but I think you'd need the 250 crank and rod. The 250 jug is taller than the 230, so you'd need a longer cam chain. Plus, you may need the 250 head as well. Not sure there either, but its a possibility. If you get the 250 head, you'll also need the 250 exhaust... Its a lot of work,,, just get the 260 or 265 kit.

I got mine from Kuston Kraft. http://kustom-kraft.com/SUZUKIKITS.html It comes with a 70mm wiseco piston and there is a 71mm wiseco once you wear the 70mm out. I went ahead n got the 71 to throw on a shelf so I'd have it when I needed it. You have to send him your jug and wait for him to resleeve it. Probably a good time to send off your crank to Vince for a new rod while you're waiting. Its only $130.

Any big bore kit is good for everyday riding. Its the cams that change that.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>And to anybody i found 2.5" rear axle spacers on ebay for 50 bucks. Thats alot more affordable than the 300 dollar durablue +4 i found on there. Would you trust the spacers or should i just save for the axle? </end quote></div>

I don't have too much of a problem with rear spacers. Just the extra weight is all. The engine has to spin those spaces ya know. And if you jump, the extra width will make it easier to bend the stock axle. So far, I haven't had a problem with that though.

Front spacers suck. I guess if its the only way to widen your front then you gotta do what you gotta do, but those spacers make bump steer terrible and wear out the tierod ends, ball joints, and wheel bearings a LOT faster. I'd opt for a frame widening kit before wheel spacers on the front. Not sure where to get one of those though.... Of course, the best way is longer a-arms. So far, I think I'm the only guy making those and it takes me a week of pretty constant work to get a set made. Not fun, but worth it in the end. A frame widening kit would be easy to make. Here's one for the LTZ250 http://www.diamondjcustoms.com...ing/suzuki/lt-z250.htm

Old 08-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider

o and for anybody looking for that left case side for cheap....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...&timeout=1218822731125</end quote></div>

That's the right side cover. Same side as kicker.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

ok ill scratch the 270 idea. I guess it wont make that much of a difference anyhow. Besides im plannin on a bigger machine for more serious power a little ways down the road anyhow [img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img] i smell trx450r....

Im thinkin im just gonna wait and get the durablue because im not too sure id trust that much of a widen from basically blocks...if i would throw blocks to lift my truck then i dont think im gonna do it with my quad either haha

And how much do ya charge for said custom a-arms [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

oops on the case cover my bad i call noob moment on myself didnt look close enough just read the desc and thought hell ill throw it up for somebody who needs it.

you said the cams will be the thing that will screw the motor up? how so and i found a hot cams stage one. will that be wild enough to screw it up too bad or are the stories just being exaggerated?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Range Rover

I put that stem up because I have bought from this seller and he is good. Also accurate and he says it is not bent and in good shape as well as straight. I normally would bypass this, But the seller has done me many good orders. I enlarged the pic as well and the tie rod holes appear to be round and not worn oval like most.

yea Randy whats up with a little side biz makin a-arms, I am sure they would sell and practice makes each one better and quicker to make.

POOOOOOOLGOOOOOD I know your watchin, wassup hope you are cheerfull today.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

First of all, I think the hotcams is the same thing as the stock cam. I emailed them and they're just distributors that don't know anything. Hotcams n hotrods are Taiwan stuff. Not sure I like that. Anyway, the specs have a misprint for the cam and the rest of the specs is the same as stock. I'm betting its just a stock cam.

Your choices on cams are webcams stage 1 or 2 and megacycle stage 1 or 2. According to my software, the webcams loses HP over stock and the megacycle gains HP. The megacycle is only a little different than stock and has much more lift is all. The webcam is way different than stock and has more lift. But, everybody that runs the webcam says it rocks, so who knows.... I'd say out of 10 guys... one will have a megacycle and the rest have webcams or stock. Never met anyone who ran a hotcam in a 230. But the one guy that had the megacycle cam loved it too. And Vince always runs megacycle (whatever that means to ya).

The 230 just isn't made to rev out. Period. It has a long stroke and only 2 valves. And all the aftermarket cams produce power at the highest rpms... Where you're most likely to throw a rod. For me, I'll pass on the cam! If anything, I'd probably get the megacycle, but it has SO much lift I'd be worried about the valves hitting the piston I have (it doesn't have the valve reliefs cut in it like the regular wisecos do). I'm more concerned about the springs and getting the valves closed fast enough. I'm definitely getting a spring kit!

All cams do is move the power around. You can take a little from the bottom and add it to the top if you want, or vice versa, but without variable valve timing you can't get the best of both worlds. The stock cam is a pretty decent mix, but I think megacycle improved on it a little and gave it more lift.

I think the reason webcams outsells megacycle is the website is SO much more pretty. That's what wins races right? Being pretty??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

After saying all that, I still don't feel like I helped any, LOL. That's all I know though. [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I may or may not be "secretly" working on some a-arms to sell. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Still not sure what to charge. I've seen some sets that sell for $500 all the way up to $1200. But they're nice chromoly with powdercoat finishes and super-nice welding and adjustable caster/camber. Mine are just stocks arms cut off and welded 5 inches longer with a $300 fluxcore welder (welds are strong, just don't look that pretty). So, if I sold them for $250, that works out to be $6/hr for me... not counting the cost of buying the stock arms to start with and the steel, welding wire, and electricity. Probably more like $5/hr if I count all that. Kinda cheap for THIS degree of custom welding! I suppose as time went on I could get faster, but how many could I sell? How many 230 owners are out there?

And that's just the arms... Those won't do anyone any good without longer tie rods, brake lines, and some kind of shock system. Now the labor and cost just went thru the roof! Stock shocks just won't work with +5 arms! There's just no way. I'm using the 250S shocks I found on ebay. Those are about right, but even they require both the bottom and top mounts to be moved. So, if I made a set to work with the 250 shocks, would I also have to sell 250 shocks??? Or expect them to figure the shocks out for themselves?

I'll get some pics up soon and you guys tell me what you think.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah I am watching; Bri and Randal... But all the time I have, is to be a voyer! Between side jobs and training (up to 178lbs by the way:evil[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and taking my kid to martial arts almost 5-6 days a week.......... The crumb snatcher took 5th place over the weekend in a kokanee fishing derby out of 50 kids!!! She fights and fishes, god forbid she gets good at the other "f" word and she will make someone happy like her mom............. YUCK!!!!!! But, I guess at this point if any boy gets in her pants, it is because she lets em!!! Jeeze,,,,,, what a thought, but I am sure it is right around the bend.............

All you new guys... I hope you realize what a killer source of info you have in Randy. In engines,quads, stereos, firearms,politics, life and all the BS in between, you all have a great guy to converse with. Just wish I had the time lately to play more.

Miss all you guys!

PG

Old 08-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Trailblazer

i definetly see that randy is a wealth of info. If not for randy and bri i wouldnt have found any of the stuff i was looking for.

Btw guys i got my new front tires on, my front plastics painted, my chain tightened back up, and new renthal bars on it in the past week. No more crazy bent bars for this guy!!! I took it down to a sand pit around here this week its pretty fun in the sand but im still craving that wide rear axle to throw it around a little easier. I need to call the dealer around me and get them to rebuild my rear shock seeing as how its blown and its all spring in the rear haha not good over bumps or jumps.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks PG! Sir Isaac Newton wrote, "If I have seen farther than others it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants". Around here that would be BigMc, MalHombre, yagerzzz, sahzookee, UGLY88, and of course this fellow that goes by PoolGod. [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Sounds like the youngin has a lot going for her. The D word (drugs) would scare me most in this situation since she can pretty much choose any future she wants. She excells at everything! I don't know what to tell you about grandkids.... Biologically, sooner is probably better than later, but financially, later is probably better. All I know for sure is that when you are young, you have no idea what you'll want 15-20yrs down the road.

So, what's the secret weight gain recipie? I know its not the beer... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

btw, pics on the camera... should be online in a little while.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Btw guys i got my new front tires on, my front plastics painted, my chain tightened back up, and new renthal bars on it in the past week. No more crazy bent bars for this guy!!! I took it down to a sand pit around here this week its pretty fun in the sand but im still craving that wide rear axle to throw it around a little easier. I need to call the dealer around me and get them to rebuild my rear shock seeing as how its blown and its all spring in the rear haha not good over bumps or jumps.</end quote></div>

I need to get new bars too. Now that my stem is straight, my bent bars don't feel quite right. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I used to throw 5 or 6 bags of concrete on the seat and see if the chain is still a bit loose. If so, I know the chain wouldn't bend my swingarm when I landed a jump.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.