Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:36 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

you guys are awesome. I think im gonna save up for that rear axle. Thanks for finding that salvaged. and my case already has a case saver on it. not plannin on takin it off or screwin with it haha i know how bad that can turn out

Old 08-15-2008, 03:47 AM
Range Rover

yea I saw the case saver after reviewing the pics again, I just had to look again. thats a decent quad man, cool. btw just call me Bri

Old 08-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Clean_salvaged_BRI
on another note I am working on this islander moped and thought the exhaust valve was stuck, I took off the top and both valves are working great, I have plenty of spark and by priming the head I get back flames. I feel no are while cranking it over from the exhaust. weirdest thing I have seen. startin to think the flywheel key is sheered and the magneto has spun a bit putting the spark at the wrong time. If anyone can shed a missed light before I pull this whole engine apart, that would rock. weird, the flywheel key was my 230's problem if anyone remembers from way back when I started writing y'all.</end quote></div>

Is the valve lash right? Carb plugged up (lean)? Have you ever seen it run? If so, what happened since it ran? Did the cam chain skip a tooth? Is the tensioner broken or not working? Maybe the chain is too long for the tensioner to keep tension (it happens).

Old 08-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: OBrienChevSuper10
I do trail riding also but i like racing from the standpoint that it pushes me but to each their own its jus my opinion.</end quote></div>

I think the difference is I was 14 when your quad was new. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>and as for the steering stem it has been snapped and re-welded haha so i take it you just have to fix it yourself? no aftermarket for it? </end quote></div>

I don't know... I've never seen them if they exist. Others cost $200 anyway. I just fixed it myself, but I'm a decent welder so it wasn't that bad for me. In your case I'd buy one off ebay or something and have it welded before it breaks. That way its straight AND strong.... and cheap!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Range Rover

well thanks for the interest Randy, I have seen it run it was a freinds. He ran through a deep puddle on a trail and it died. timing chain is good and the valves are also proper. I checked the gap and turned it over watching them both work. the oil pump is working as well splashes up there nicely. i tore the carb down first and have been just priming the head with the carb off to get the thing goin. I have not checked the timing due to not knowing where to look. there are no obviuos marks or anything to tell me. I dont think it is out of time with the cam and chain, I think it is the spark timing. If you know of what a sudden burst of water might do I would love to here it before I tear this thing apart.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Range Rover

best steering stem deal right now, I also have one coming later today (joy) on the 230 i am picking up in a few hours.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...l1116#ebayphotohosting

Old 08-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Trailblazer

randy: haha yea i was -2 years old when the quad came out. Do you have any suggestions on where to get a big bore and which to go with? Would the 270 still be good for everyday riding?

Bri: i found a few stock ones like that on ebay last night also all for 10-14 bucks i think im gonna try to snag one this week.

And to anybody i found 2.5" rear axle spacers on ebay for 50 bucks. Thats alot more affordable than the 300 dollar durablue +4 i found on there. Would you trust the spacers or should i just save for the axle?

Old 08-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

o and for anybody looking for that left case side for cheap....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...&timeout=1218822731125

Old 08-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

well thanks for the interest Randy, I have seen it run it was a freinds. He ran through a deep puddle on a trail and it died. timing chain is good and the valves are also proper. I checked the gap and turned it over watching them both work. the oil pump is working as well splashes up there nicely. i tore the carb down first and have been just priming the head with the carb off to get the thing goin. I have not checked the timing due to not knowing where to look. there are no obviuos marks or anything to tell me. I dont think it is out of time with the cam and chain, I think it is the spark timing. If you know of what a sudden burst of water might do I would love to here it before I tear this thing apart.</end quote></div>

No problem, I like puzzles.

It seems water is the death blow to lots of engines. Last december, my airfliter got water logged from me washing the quad. I went for a ride in the mountains and came home n tore n it down... It still hasn't run again.

My buddy with the 250s ran in a big puddle and his never ran again until we rebuilt it a week or two ago.

I don't know what water does to them. It seems to be the death blow to already weak engines though. The only thing i can think is water is not compressable. If you get water in the cylinder and the piston is coming up on the compression stroke, something HAS to give. I don't know what, but something.

Are you sure water is not still in the exhaust? Can you check compression? Without good compression it won't run and could backfire out the carb. Starting fluid is notorious for backfiring out the carb. On small engines the spark plug fires twice... Once on the compression stroke and once and the exhaust stroke. Also the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time at the top of the exhaust stroke. Maybe that has something to do with the carb backfiring.

I'd get the water out of everything and mount a clean carb back up and get somebody to tow me around the yard and see if it will hit a lick or not. Try a new spark plug too. If nothing, then tear it down I guess and check the timings.

Dont do anything before a compression check though. If you dont have a gauge, put your thumb over the hole and crank it over. It should blow your thumb off smartly! Practice on a known engine so you know what to expect.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

best steering stem deal right now, I also have one coming later today (joy) on the 230 i am picking up in a few hours.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...l1116#ebayphotohosting</end quote></div>

That one's been "fixed". How do you know its straight? And that's not even the spot they all break.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.