Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Hey guys! Long time no see.

I was wondering if anyone else has ahd the same problem that I am having. My LT230s pops way too much. By that I mean it will have subtle little backfires every couple of beats while i'm riding it. It's annoying. I had always assumed it was just the valves that needed adjusted but this weekend i went through and adjusted both valves to the factory specs. Someone told me they had a street bike that did the same thing and they changed a spark plug and it entirely fixed the problem. Im leaving now to go buy the spark plug in hopes that it solves the problem. I believe it is the stock plug in it right now (crazy) because i never changed it before me and the previous and original owner barely rode the thing. It is quite dirty. I'll let you guys know how this works out. If you have any suggestions i would really appreciate them.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mikem92

Hey guys! Long time no see.

I was wondering if anyone else has ahd the same problem that I am having. My LT230s pops way too much. By that I mean it will have subtle little backfires every couple of beats while i'm riding it. It's annoying. I had always assumed it was just the valves that needed adjusted but this weekend i went through and adjusted both valves to the factory specs. Someone told me they had a street bike that did the same thing and they changed a spark plug and it entirely fixed the problem. Im leaving now to go buy the spark plug in hopes that it solves the problem. I believe it is the stock plug in it right now (crazy) because i never changed it before me and the previous and original owner barely rode the thing. It is quite dirty. I'll let you guys know how this works out. If you have any suggestions i would really appreciate them.

Thanks,

Mike</end quote></div>

"pops" mean it is running lean, I am pretty sure

Old 10-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I agree... But why is the plug dirty if its lean?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer

The plug is probably dirty because it is 20 years old and hasn't been cleaned. Would that make sense? Also, Everything is stock except i have a stock exhaust on right now with the spark arrestor ripped out and a drilled out air lid and a uni air filter. Would one of those things mean i should run the carb richer?

Old 10-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The plug is probably dirty because it is 20 years old and hasn't been cleaned. Would that make sense?</end quote></div>

No. I'm sure you could put a brand new plug on a shelf for 20 yrs and it wouldn't be dirty, other than dust.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> Also, Everything is stock except i have a stock exhaust on right now with the spark arrestor ripped out and a drilled out air lid and a uni air filter. Would one of those things mean i should run the carb richer? </end quote></div>

The drilled holes in lid will make it run lean on higher throttle openings. The lack of a spark arrestor will make it run rich on the lower throttle openings. I don't know what the Uni would do.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

The plug isnt on a shelf. It's been in the four wheeler running for 20 years and has never been taken out to be cleaned. it's black all over.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

I have two exhausts. One with a spark arrestor and one without. Ive been runnign without because it seems to give it a much better throttle response and it takes off quicker. Plus it sounds cooler [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The plug isnt on a shelf. It's been in the four wheeler running for 20 years and has never been taken out to be cleaned. it's black all over.</end quote></div>

Well, the point I was trying to make is that 20yrs doesn't have anything to do with it. I can make a plug black in 10 seconds. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Or, a plug could be clean for 20yrs, but there's no way a plug will run in an engine everyday for 20 yrs. My bayou will run thru a plug about twice a year. The symptoms are that it just won't rev out. It will idle fine though.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have two exhausts. One with a spark arrestor and one without. Ive been runnign without because it seems to give it a much better throttle response and it takes off quicker. Plus it sounds cooler [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Yep, I did the same thing before I made my own.

You can take any quad that is running perfect and remove the spark arrestor and the plug will turn black. It works on cars too.... Get a hole in your muffler from rust and the plugs turn black (if you don't have fuel injection that is).

Old 10-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks man. I just learned a lot.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.