Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Nope, just this one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

What do you need to know?

Old 12-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Well,,, at least they're lighter. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

They are really light, I'd say around half as light as my old set up

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Looks good to me!</end quote></div>

These new tires hook up really good, I did a launch in some mud and it pulled a wheelie instead of spinning

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Could be a bit lean on the idle if it spits when you left off.</end quote></div>

Cold air leans it out more right? The colder denser air needs more fuel. Or do I have it *** backwards

Old 12-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Ol' QS230

They are really light, I'd say around half as light as my old set up</end quote></div>

I was joking about you drilling so many holes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

When I made my trailer, I didn't have any rims to fit a 230 axle. So, I took some bayou front rims and welded washers to them because there was no room to drill more holes, lol. It worked.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>These new tires hook up really good, I did a launch in some mud and it pulled a wheelie instead of spinning</end quote></div>

Hmm... I figured that tight tread design would cake up with mud easy. Was it soupy mud? Or the kind that cakes up on the bottom of your boots if you take 2 steps through it? We got the cakey kind around here. My boots weigh 15 lbs and I get about 6 inches taller if I don't walk on the leaves or grass. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Cold air leans it out more right? The colder denser air needs more fuel. Or do I have it *** backwards </end quote></div>

Yep, that's right. Cold air is like compressed air, supercharged air. You need more gas.

Wet air you need less gas because the water displaces some of the air.

So, not only is cold air denser because its cold, but it also contains less water because the water falls to the ground or condenses on the trees or whatever. Its a double whammy.

"Q. Why do some aftermarket pipes backfire when you decelerate?
Backfire, or "lean misfire" on deceleration is primarily attributed to an improperly tuned engine. Under this circumstance, the low speed fuel circuit needs to be adjusted. On a street bike, the rule of thumb is to adjust the fuel mixture screw out in ½ turn increments to add fuel. If you reach 3.5 turns out and it still pops on decel then go up one size on the pilot jet and turn the fuel mixture screw back to one turn out from bottomed. Repeat this process until the misfire is eliminated. In some cases, this problem is an indication that the exhaust is too free flowing (i.e. Head pipes too large in diameter or muffler core is too large) for the motor configuration you have. As always, check your spark plugs to verify the tune is correct. The plugs should be a light tan in color if tuned properly. If the exhaust is too "free flowing" you will ultimately add too much fuel which will cause an excessively rich condition and foul the plugs. "

http://www.supertrapp.com/resource/faqs.asp

Old 12-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey i noticed you said you had a lt 230 manual. cause I have a kinda big problem. I helped replace the valves in a friends bike and went back together good. but when we try to kick start it. the kickstart just stays still. it wont go down. we r thinking the cam might be in a bind but idk. can you help me PLEASE?

Old 12-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You probably bent your valves! You need to get the valve timing right and then check for compression to see if you bent a valve. If your compression is low, you gotta tear it back down and buy new valves.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

thats the thing the valves are brand new that we put in it. I was wondering if the cam is in a bind or something cause when we put it back together the engine was froze up.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

Dont force the kicker. The 230 engine is an interference engine. Meaning if the the piston will smash the valves if the timing chain were to break, or the timing was off.

Just pull the valve cover and magneto cover and check your timing. It can be done with the engine still in the frame...I've done it

Old 12-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok this aint my bike so i dont know much about it. so how exactly would I adjust the timing

Old 12-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The cam has a mark on it... 2 lines. You have to get those lines parallel (level) with the surface of the head when the piston is at TDC. This is serious! You need to get it right and check for compression. Hopefully you didn't kick it over too hard and MAYBE your valves aren't bent yet.

It doesn't matter if the valves are new or not. If you make the piston come up the bore when the valves are in the way, they will bend.

Here's a pick of a Neon piston that rammed the valves. My buddy forgot to tighten the cam sprocket bolt and every single valve was bent. See the marks in the piston?

Name:  DCP_0796.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  106.0 KB

Old 12-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok thanks man. you have been a huge help. I going to take it apart tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.