Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Yassup Randal? Long time since we were typing at the same time![img][/img]</end quote></div>

Must have just missed you.

Got some pond pics for ya. Didn't rain all summer and now its making up lost time. Pond is overfilled and flowing out to the road. Anyway, soon as I get them off the cam, I'll post them.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvman29

So I ordered my throttle and clutch cables off of an ebay store and the clutch cable worked but the throttle cable appears to have the wrong connector.

Mine's an '86 that as far as I can tell is totally stock mechanically. When I opened up the throttle lever box or whatever you want to call it, I saw that the lever on the thumb throttle pulls a puck shaped end piece with the cable going into the side. Now the cable the guy sent me was an itty bitty cylinder of pop can-ish proportions with the cable going into the bottom of the cylinder.

Which is right? The guy insists his is right but obviously it isn't for mine.

Also what is the other end of the cable supposed to be? I didn't take apart that end yet on the wheeler since I knew the top end was different already.</end quote></div>

Just hit up your bicycle store for levers and cables. You'll save a ton of money, they work the same, more to choose from, and did I mention WAY cheaper?</end quote></div>

They really aren't expensive. They were $12 bucks. You can get them for that from DK too. So no one knows what their ends look like?

Old 12-17-2008, 04:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I'm not sure what they're supposed to look like. Its been a while. #14 in this pic is the throttle cable: http://www.alpha-sports.com/satv/1986/LT230S/23.htm

Looks like a cylinder with a cable stuck in the side of it. The other end it looks like the cable is stuck in the bottom of it.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I am checking in. i fianlly caught up after reading back from September! I wish this site would update me when new posts were on this thread, but I suppose if it did my in box would fill up faster than it does with SPAM! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Anyways you guys have been kicking a@% on this site, especially you Randy. My move got pushe back so the LT is still in one piece, there is no sense in taking th thing apart to move more pieces. I did start it up after about 6 months of sitting, and well in below freezing conditions it did take about 6 starts.

I do have my extra carrier done withbearings and seals and am still in the process of finding some steel for the swing arm lengthening. I would like to put new SA bearings and bolt in, who has the best prices on those?

Old 12-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: UGLY88

Well I am checking in. i fianlly caught up after reading back from September! I wish this site would update me when new posts were on this thread, but I suppose if it did my in box would fill up faster than it does with SPAM! [img][/img] </end quote></div>

I've had 50 something emails from here before. Each time I reply, it goes up by one. When it gets up in the 30's, 40's, or 50's, I'll finally go unsubscribe. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I do have my extra carrier done withbearings and seals and am still in the process of finding some steel for the swing arm lengthening. I would like to put new SA bearings and bolt in, who has the best prices on those? </end quote></div>

Cheapcycleparts probably has the cheapest, but their shipping is high and complicated. I got mine from bikebandit.... At least the bolt and other oem stuff. I might have gotten the bearings from rockymountain. I know they were Pivot Works brand.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Pond pics:

Name:  DCP_3107.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  143.1 KB

Name:  DCP_3103.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  161.8 KB

Name:  DCP_3101.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  163.1 KB

Lots of diggin yet to do, but its coming along. I figure another 5 yrs and I'll be fishin. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Maybe sooner.....

Old 12-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

For the pond you need to find a local guy with a track-hoe and feed him beer until he answers your dare that he can't get it done! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I will price from those sites and see what works out best.

Any idea if the cast Aluminum on a carrier can be welded? If so I would like to fix my current one and use for a spare or something?

Old 12-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: UGLY88

For the pond you need to find a local guy with a track-hoe and feed him beer until he answers your dare that he can't get it done! [img][/img]</end quote></div>

I could get it done myself pretty quick if I could get rid of the dirt. Me not wanting to cut a road in is what's making it so hard. All those pines you see are 10-15 yrs old and in another 10-15 yrs they'll be worth $20-$100 each.

I'll get the pond done next year when it dries out and then I just have to wait on the fish to grow. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Any idea if the cast Aluminum on a carrier can be welded? If so I would like to fix my current one and use for a spare or something? </end quote></div>

You can weld any kind of aluminum, but I hear getting the oil off of it is the problem. Check this out: http://durafix.com/demo/256.html

Old 12-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Have you tried this stuff?

It is interesting, I have welders, but have never messed around with the cast aluminum. One of my wire feeds can do aluminum, but I need pure Argon which I do not have at the moment. I think I will ask my welding buddy if he can do it first.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I've never tried it, but PG said good things about it.

I don't think there is that big of a difference in cast al and rolled al like there is between cast steel and rolled steel. I could be wrong, but if you're worried, just heat the whole piece and keep it hot while you weld. From a discussion on another forum about welding side covers n that, the oil is the biggest problem. It soaks in the metal and you can never get it out. The fact that it was cast didn't bother any welders I talked to about it.

We talking about the bearing carrier? Is that even cast?

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.