Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

One more thing, could the chain be too tight? I checked it by getting it where I thought it was good, then having a friend push it down hard on the suspention and checking to make sure it wasnt to tight. Thats the problem though, what is "too tight"? Would it give it any issue if it were too tight? I really dont think it is but thought I would ask this as well. In both positions I can just move it up an push it down slightly, maybe a quarter of an inch.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

the owners manual suggests 1.6-1.8 inches of slack

Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 86LT230S

Ok, yes it ran like a BEAST 3 and a half weeks ago. Yeah it was cold then to, but not this cold. I did NOTHING to the engine, when I was riding 3 weeks ago the chain jumped off, after 5 days of solid riding. This had never happened before, so I got off, started the chain back on, pushed the quad to get it on all the way, then headed for the truck were the tools were to address the issue. As I went around the next corner the chain jumped off again, only this time it smacked the case cover and put a hole in it. So I was done riding for a while till I got all the parts I needed. I ended up getting the new cover with a gasket and seal, talked to the guys at the Suzuki dealership near by, they had me purchase: New Swing-Arm bearing kit, New "O-Ring" chain, New Front and rear Sprockets, Wheel bearing Kit. I spoke with Vince @ Mr. Crankshaft (formerly Vinces Cycle, which had TONS of 230S stuff) After a LONG conversation, all he had left were some QUALITY Poly Chain guides (which I purchased the LAST of). I ordered a Cobra (Steel) exhaust (not on the quad yet though), also got new grips (which obviously has nothing to do with this). So yesterday I went out and put it all on, then had the issues I spoke of. So there is DEFINATELY 2 screws on the kickstart side of the carb (right side), one is OBVIOUSLY the fuel one (has a spring on it for resistance/tension) the other is to the left lower side of the fuel screw and is flush mounted in the body of the carb. (this, I assumed, was the air mixture screw). I played with these a little, and may have messed it up. I twisted them in to a light "seat" then backed the air one out 1 and a half turns, and the fuel maybe 2 turns out. I think its best today to start with a new plug and go from there, but I need some thoughts on 1. setting those screw adjustments, 2. could fuel lines be frozen or "gummed" from the COLD air? Thanks again in advance!</end quote></div>

Here is the stock carb: http://www.alpha-sports.com/satv/1986/LT230S/05.htm

#6 is the idle speed screw. All it does is lift or lower the slide.... Same as your thumb throttle does.

#25 is the pilot/fuel screw. That only works at idle. When you get it running and warmed up really well and idling, turn that screw until the rpms are as high as possible. Then turn #6 down until the idle gets as slow as possible. Then turn #25 until the idle gets as fast as possible. Keep repeating until you can't do it anymore. Then turn #6 until you have a nice idle speed and you're done.

You could have a plugged pilot jet from sitting. That would be #22 in the pic. You need to run a guitar string or bread tie or something thru it to clear the clog. Its a small hole and easily clogged.

From what you said, it appears to be a case of "it was running one day and now not". In that situation, I think its a clog in the carb or it needs a new spark plug. My lakota sat for a couple months with what I thought was a new plug in it. I spent hrs trying to get it started. It backfired like a 12ga. I finally broke down and put a new plug in it and it fired right up.

How cold is it where you are? I think at -40 (not counting wind chill) you'll have problems burning gas anyway. That's just too cold and you'll be better off waiting for a warmer day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 86LT230S

One more thing, could the chain be too tight? I checked it by getting it where I thought it was good, then having a friend push it down hard on the suspention and checking to make sure it wasnt to tight. Thats the problem though, what is "too tight"? Would it give it any issue if it were too tight? I really dont think it is but thought I would ask this as well. In both positions I can just move it up an push it down slightly, maybe a quarter of an inch.</end quote></div>

If its too tight, it will crush the swingarm bearings when you land a jump or something like that. You have the right idea about pushing down on the quad and making sure its not too tight. Just make sure its not taught when you have somebody stand on the grab bar and bounce. It doesn't need to be flopping loose, but not taught for sure.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Oh, one more thought.... You put a new magneto cover one right? Well, maybe one of those coils are bad? I had starting issues until I replaced those coils. I almost thru the damn quad off the mountain because I could never get it to start once it was hot! Something to consider. Also, did you use locktite on the screws? You better do that! The screws can come out and wreck the insides. Its happened on this board before.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Trailblazer

gentleman , thanks again! ESPECIALLY You Randy!!!!! I am printing off your "words-o-wisdom" and headed out to the garage. I will take some pics today so you guys can see the "Tiger" (Dio-Style!)

Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like the way you cut your tires Randy. makes 'em look like fasttrekkers. i love the way mine slide & hook up. i agree about radials for rear tires but i absolutely love my maxxis i-razr front tires! they're great as long as they're on the ground...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I got the idea from you MalHombre. [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] Love yer tires! But the Fasttrekkers don't look the same: http://www.titantires.com/fastrekker.htm

Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

How long have you had your 230 Randy?

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.