Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Ok, Thanks again for the responces! I haven't put the new Exhaust on yet, but its a Cobra (Steel) exhaust purchased from e-bay. Right now I have a Factory Style air Filter and YES I am using the lid, why wouldn't you? Please Tell me more about setting the carb right, as that was what I was trying to do, but simply started to get PISSED after being out there ALL day in the cold and then it does this. So I walked away so as not to hit it with the sledge hammer. So Get me back to a blank starting point, if I twist both the air screw and the fuel screw in until they lightly seat, how far out should I back them each to "get it close?" I will also grab a new plug tomorrow. Could the fuel lines, selector valve, or tank have ice in it? It has sat out in the garage which is not heated so same temp as outside which has been freezing for some time now. So thats it, lets get those answers and I will think of any more questions. Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much again, you guys give me the motivation to go back out and try, try again!

Old 01-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I don't know man... I need more details. Could be the cold, could need a new plug, could be a lot of things.

Was it running 3 weeks ago? Was it cold then? What did you do to the engine?

If its a stock carb, there is no air screw, only a fuel screw and idle speed. The fuel screw lets more fuel in as you loosen the screw. It only affects idle speed. As soon as you touch the throttle, that screw doesn't mean anything. If the problem happens before half throttle, move the needle up like I said before to give it more gas.

Try a new plug before anything. I've had that happen a lot.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

I read the knarlys hook up really well and end up being a bit unpredictable when trying to slide or donut. But if you aint worried about donuts, knarlys are good tires.</end quote></div>

Hmmm I don't know how my dad likes to ride it cause he is always behind me, but I like to ride it slideways[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. So I would like a fairly predictable tire. The stock dunlops have acutally proven to be a great tire they are jsut too expensive to replace

Old 01-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I was gonna say dunlops too but...

Here's the review I read: http://www.atvrideronline.com/..._tire_test/maxxis.html

"The Knarly is a sturdy 6-ply tire, but with its strength comes significant weight. While not the heaviest of the bunch, it ranked fourth from the top in the heft category. We ran these tires with the Kenda Klaw XCF fronts. We never became comfortable with how the Knarlys worked on the 400s. They didn't slide well and made the machine feel very top-heavy. They pro-vided good traction in the rocks but were just awful on off-camber root-covered sections, which are common in this part of the country. On several occasions we stopped on hillsides, and the Knarlys had a difficult time finding a grip compared with all of the other tires. We would not recommend them for use on our 400 test machines, but we would be interested in seeing how a lower-profile model of the same design would do."

Kenda Klaw XCF Front/XCR Rear

"The front Klaws were not as responsive as other tires, making for slow steering. They did, however, hold up to punishment in the rocks exceptionally well. Once we discovered these tires' hidden talent for the rough stuff, we made a point of seeking out some of the worst sections of trail. We found the tires worked well in the harshest of sections without deflecting in a manner that would typically upset the direction of your quad. The Klaws are a great choice for fast riding on rock-strewn trails. We were never comfortable with the vague feeling they offered--as if we were riding with two giant marshmallows attached to our front rims. Our rear tires provided good traction and predictable sliding, but overall, this combination of front and rear tires just didn't feel right. They seemed to wallow in a way that gave the sensation of trying to balance on top of a log in water. One thing you'll notice about Kenda tires is they are true to their size--meaning a size-22 tire has an outside diameter of 22 inches compared with, say, the 22-inch ITPs, which actually measure 21 inches. As such, the Kendas offered the most ground clearance but also rubbed against the fender mounts on hard landings. Overall, they showed poor handling when used on the DVX."

That's exactly why I bought them. Good tires for why I wanted them. I don't mind the marshmallow feeling. I usually run the tires extra soft just to soak up more bumps. Hell, half the time the tires are almost off the ground anyway. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Maxxis M943/M944 iRazr Radials

If too much traction could be a bad thing, then these tires would win the award for it. We found the iRazrs could hook up practically everywhere, requiring us to always be on the alert when punching the gas. In spots in which other tires would slip, the iRazrs would grab and loft the front wheels; these are incredibly sticky tires. The outstanding traction actually prevented the front tires from tracking as well as anticipated partially because of the light front end. These tires provide one of the smoothest rides in this bunch. Incredible traction just about everywhere did affect our ability to slide, which was important when negotiating some of the tighter mountain trails. Make no mistake: These are excellent woods tires--you just need to get used to them. The iRazr has a much lower profile than other Razr models, which did slide considerably better, by the way.

Too much traction. Can't slide.

You can read the rest. For me, the XC's are the way to go. (actually I'd like a set of fasttrekkers for the back, but they don't make them anymore).

I put ITP TracStars on the lakota. They get awesome traction and I can slide ok. They're heavier than the XC though. (the specs lie). I like the wide spaced lugs to clear the mud.

Name:  DCP_2507.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  153.9 KB

Put Swamplites on the bayou:

Name:  aDCP_0570.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  174.7 KB

They will slide if you got enough power to turn the bigass meats. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

When my buddy first got his 250S, it had slicks on the back (actually worn out 20 inchers). That was one FUN quad! Especially when the grass had a bit of dew on it. Mario Kart time!

But seriously though... With slicks on the back and a dry trail, I can outrun ya just as fast and probably faster because I can slide around the corners with no effort. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Don't need traction on a fast trail. I was considering these for a while: http://www.rockymountainatv.co...vType=type#OtherImages

Old 01-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

haha those would look really different on the 230! We still need some pics of your 230 randy!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I dont have the plastic on it yet. I'm still tinkering. It basically looks like the other pics I posted only with an engine in it and lots of mud.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the link randy. Right now I'm still trying to find a good deal on craigslist or something just to have some tread on the tires.

Back before Xmas time I was workin on a Christmas tree farm and I had the ozark up there mainly for fun, but it did work too. In the morning when there was dew on the field you could crank it up to speed, crank the bars, lean and hang on. It was some good fun

Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Ol' QS230

Thanks for the link randy. Right now I'm still trying to find a good deal on craigslist or something just to have some tread on the tires.

Back before Xmas time I was workin on a Christmas tree farm and I had the ozark up there mainly for fun, but it did work too. In the morning when there was dew on the field you could crank it up to speed, crank the bars, lean and hang on. It was some good fun</end quote></div>

Those Ozarks are are great machines. That was the second ATV we ever had (The first was a little youth 90cc). That thing took many a lickin and kept on tickin. Never had a single problem with it that I can recall. IMO, still one of the best motors I've ever seen. Its a great handling quad too! And once the stock Dunlops were worn it was boss at powersliding! And for doing work, that thing could pull like crazy! I pulled a 30 foot log about 2 feet in diameter about 3 miles down a dirt road with it no problem! I couldn't even roll it on my own!

Old 01-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, yes it ran like a BEAST 3 and a half weeks ago. Yeah it was cold then to, but not this cold. I did NOTHING to the engine, when I was riding 3 weeks ago the chain jumped off, after 5 days of solid riding. This had never happened before, so I got off, started the chain back on, pushed the quad to get it on all the way, then headed for the truck were the tools were to address the issue. As I went around the next corner the chain jumped off again, only this time it smacked the case cover and put a hole in it. So I was done riding for a while till I got all the parts I needed. I ended up getting the new cover with a gasket and seal, talked to the guys at the Suzuki dealership near by, they had me purchase: New Swing-Arm bearing kit, New "O-Ring" chain, New Front and rear Sprockets, Wheel bearing Kit. I spoke with Vince @ Mr. Crankshaft (formerly Vinces Cycle, which had TONS of 230S stuff) After a LONG conversation, all he had left were some QUALITY Poly Chain guides (which I purchased the LAST of). I ordered a Cobra (Steel) exhaust (not on the quad yet though), also got new grips (which obviously has nothing to do with this). So yesterday I went out and put it all on, then had the issues I spoke of. So there is DEFINATELY 2 screws on the kickstart side of the carb (right side), one is OBVIOUSLY the fuel one (has a spring on it for resistance/tension) the other is to the left lower side of the fuel screw and is flush mounted in the body of the carb. (this, I assumed, was the air mixture screw). I played with these a little, and may have messed it up. I twisted them in to a light "seat" then backed the air one out 1 and a half turns, and the fuel maybe 2 turns out. I think its best today to start with a new plug and go from there, but I need some thoughts on 1. setting those screw adjustments, 2. could fuel lines be frozen or "gummed" from the COLD air? Thanks again in advance!

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.