Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvman29

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MalHombre

hey guys, the 85-86 250r axle & brake rotor will swap directly to a 230 and gives you about 3" wider than the stock 230. swingarms won't swap because the shock setup is way different. i ordered a durablue 250r axle from DK i think, and it bolted right up w no trouble.</end quote></div>

That's interesting! Is it 3" overall width or 3" per side?

How much wider are the 250S A-arms, 2" per?</end quote></div>

I think the arms are 2 inches longer. How much loner are the shocks? It should be about that much.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

2" seems about right.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Where have you guys ordered your case savers from?</end quote></div>

I ordered one form bikebandit for a couple bucks. I've made them too from 3/16 steel. I think its best to have one for each size sprocket, ie 12T, 13T, etc. That way the saver hugs the sprocket.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

If that's packing on the left ones, then I'd say the middle one on the left.</end quote></div>

Mine is packed, but for the sake of argument it doesn't have to be.

Mine looks like the upper right one because I ran out of pipe when I made the muffler. So, last night I was out there scratching my head and playing with pipes for the longest time.... I did a search online for a few hours, but came up empty. Most searches for nozzles have me looking at rocket engines. The closest one to a rocket nozzle is the lower right. But I'm not sure a rocket nozzle is best for a quad engine.

According to thermodynamics, the primary function of a nozzle is to maximize flow velocity. For a gas, the closest one would be the middle right.

But that has me thinking..... Should I be trying to maximize velocity at the end of the exhaust pipe? Or should I just focus on minimal backpressure? I can't get my head around it.

A lot of the muffler manufacturers make theirs like the middle left. I'm figuring this is because, as you drive forward, the wind helps pull the exhaust out.</end quote></div>

hmm, so you're thinking maybe having that vacuum at the end of the pipe would pull the exhaust out faster? I guess that makes sense. But like you said, I'm not sure if that or reduced back pressure would be best for just a small engine.

I can't imagine it would make a huge difference. I would probably lean towards less back pressure. But I haven't had thermo yet, haha.</end quote></div>

I've had thermo waaaaay back in the early 90's, but I can't find my book. I turned the place upside down and found books on pretty much anything else, just no thermo. I guess I'll have to resort to experimentation.

Check this out for an idea of what I'm talking about: http://www.mototuneusa.com/super_sonic_nozzle.htm Having a nozzle will increase backpressure at the beginning of the exhaust pulse, but will add momentum later and create a vacuum. It works for ports. The only thing is, the pipe may be so long that the vacuum may be useless that far back.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

I ordered one form bikebandit for a couple bucks. I've made them too from 3/16 steel. I think its best to have one for each size sprocket, ie 12T, 13T, etc. That way the saver hugs the sprocket.</end quote></div>

Do they still offer it? I can't seem to find it.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The 250S axle is 2 inches longer. I just measured.

Right now, with douglas rims, I'm 35 inches center-to-center of the tires and 46 inches at the very extents of the tires with the stock 230 axle. 2 more inches would put me 48 at the extents.... Pretty much same as my front.

I know you said you like the compact look, but keep in mind a 4 wheeled vehicle doesn't like to ride straight if its wider than it is long. That's half the reason I added on to my swingarm. The other half is I had it off and was doing major work to it anyway. The "right" way to lengthen the 230 is to move the front wheels forward, not the back wheels back. Keeping the engine weight on the back wheels is a good thing. But, that idea presented issues with the gas tank, plastic, and steering stem.... So, I took the easy way out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I ordered one form bikebandit for a couple bucks. I've made them too from 3/16 steel. I think its best to have one for each size sprocket, ie 12T, 13T, etc. That way the saver hugs the sprocket.</end quote></div>

Do they still offer it? I can't seem to find it.</end quote></div>

Look under OEM parts. Its the stock oem replacement steel one. $3 I think.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

Is it #65?

http://www.bikebandit.com/showschematic/m6367sch240180

Old 02-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yep, that's it. That's what it looks like too. I like the ones I make better, but the oem ones work.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

Is it just a stamped piece of steel? Can you fit it under the plastic guard?

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.