Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh yeah...i am a firm believer the experience is the best teacher.
he likes riding my friend automatic better than the 230...me too really its safer that way!!

Old 08-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Range Rover
Smile

Originally Posted by jory230
hey guys i was taking off my cluctch cable and this came up when i was take my cable off and now it easy to haul it up and down is it suppose to be this easy or is it something to worry about?
well guys ripped everything apart and found a little o ring in the oil sled it back on and bam! it stayed, thank god. well im back off to ridin.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 230 quadrunner with the electric/pull cord start? I saw the diagram in the "vault" but that only semi-applies to my model. This thing is getting all sorts of crazy wiring issues now(now the neutral light flickers randomly, sometimes it trips the starter sometimes nothing happens), and every so often it feels like the kill switch is activating just for a second.

This thing is now 21 years old, been outside 90% of it's life, and been beat on forever( was a "work" quad that anyone just jumped on to move a boat, or more often just to screw around). I'm trying to clean all the connectors/grounds I see but it doesn't seem to be helping.

When you ground the blue wire going away from the neutral sensor it causes the neutral light to light dimly and flicker to bright. That blue wire joins the main harness under the seat, and then goes inside the crankcase with the magneto wires.

The starter solenoid has the one fat 12+ wire going in and out of the sides, and then two small wires going in the top. To "short" the solenoid, which of the two skinny wires would I supply 12+ to, or both? Or connect the two wires?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:49 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PG
Did I ever tell you i went and had that BigBore kit installed into one of my spare cylinders?
Talk about a ready made go fast item. Ride the 230 in on a saturday morning, ride out on a 265 that after noon. Guess I need to finish that "big motor" project that was started last year huh.......

Old 08-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by RaWarrior
When you ground the blue wire going away from the neutral sensor it causes the neutral light to light dimly and flicker to bright. That blue wire joins the main harness under the seat, and then goes inside the crankcase with the magneto wires.

The starter solenoid has the one fat 12+ wire going in and out of the sides, and then two small wires going in the top. To "short" the solenoid, which of the two skinny wires would I supply 12+ to, or both? Or connect the two wires?

I just re-wired one of my Quadsports and it was super easy. Looking at the manual now and it seems like your machine has quite a few more electrical components than the Quadsports. I don't have any means of scanning this wiring diagram to post up here, but I'll try to give you some direction based on your questions.

The wiring diagram I'm looking at is for: 1985-1986 LT230GE and 1986 LT-F230

That blue wire you mention is shown coming out of the Nuetral Relay, it bridges off to the Reverse Switch (where it connects into a Blue/Black wire) as it continues directly to the Neutral Indicator Light. According to this diagram, that Blue wire doesn't connect to the Magneto.

The rest of the wires coming off the Neutral Relay look like this:
Orange first bridges off and connects to an Orange wire on the Ignition Switch and again bridges off and connects to an Orange wire on the Engine Kill Switch as the main run continues on to the Neutral Indicator Light.
Green/Yellow runs directly to the Starter Switch unimpeded.
Yellow/Black runs directly to the Starter Solenoid unimpeded.

Here's what I'm seeing regarding the Starter Solenoid:
Black goes out to the starter motor and also out to the + terminal on the battery.
Yellow/Black runs directly to the Neutral Relay unimpeded (as mentioned above)
Black/White is a ground that connects to 4 or 5 other ground runs across the machine.

If you're looking to get those pieces operating correctly, it looks like you'll want to make sure you have a clean Yellow/Black run from the Starter Solenoid to the Neutral Relay and insure your Starter Solenoid is effectively grounded. This is assuming that your connection to the battery and starter motor are both good.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. Sorry I can't get an image of this diagram up here for you. It is in the back of the Clymer manual for 1985-1990 LT230 & LT250.

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

i need to got new atv and have no clue what to get i like the predator 500 and raptor 660 but how do the z400 and 400ex kfx do any help would nice sorry for jumping on thread but the 230 rocks

Old 08-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by rf90099
i need to got new atv and have no clue what to get i like the predator 500 and raptor 660 but how do the z400 and 400ex kfx do any help would nice sorry for jumping on thread but the 230 rocks
Well what are you looking for in a wheeler and how much of the green stuff do you have to drop?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

i willing to spend up 2500 and really like the predator and 660 is ok but i have rode any of the 400 i was going to get a 05 660 from a shop for 2200 but they sold it be i got back the all of the 400 used but 2500 is as low as they will go and do not if it is a good deal or not

Old 08-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Well, here's what I know and have heard....

My cousin has an 03 Predator and they are nice. I wouldn't recommend getting an 03 though. It was the 1st year they were made. So the pros of this wheeler are its devastatingly fast and you've got pretty high end Fox Shox. I've raced my cousin a bit on my DVX 400 (same as Z-400 and KFX-400) and he can beat me on the roads by a bit, but I can hang with him in the trails just fine, even out pace him at times. Also, a big negative, IMO is the lack of reverse. I think they got reverse in 04 or 06, I can never remember.

The Z-Quads, which include the Z-400, KFX-400, and DVX 400 (mine) are great all around wheelers. They may not be the fastest, in drag races and stuff, but they can keep up with the best of them on the trails. Plus they're light and jump very well. My 06 has preload, compression and damping adjustment on all three shocks. Plus, $2500 will get you a very nice one of these. I got mine for $2400 and it was mint.

I've heard enough bad things about the Raptor 660R to not recommend them. They seem to have a lot of quirky little problems and then the big issue of being very tippy. I've never ridden one though, so I can't attest to any of these claims. Dual carbs is a turn off for me as well....yuck!

400ex's are as basic as they come. Nothing special. Just a light chassis with a simple air-cooled 400cc motor. You could get a nice one for $2500, but any of the previously mentioned quads will spank it in just about any race, anywhere. Plus, only the later models had reverse (05 or 06, can't remember).

One thing you may want to take a look at is a Raptor 700. You MIGHT be able to find one dip down into your price range, and they're a great wheeler (head over heals better than the 660), but when I rode one, I wasn't a huge fan. Felt like a heavier, mushy, version of my DVX. It was a spec quicker though, albeit not as much as you'd think.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

thinks i wish i live where you do cuzs people around va think they have gold i can not 99 ex for less then 2300 and most are dog out i found a predator for 2000 it is 04 but it been dog out i think if i offer 1800 he will take it is on CL here s the link check out let me know what you think 2004 polaris predator 500 the pic are dark

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.