Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atvman29
BTW, regarding the ovaled out swinger, didn't someone try to use JB to fix that a while back and fail miserably? Or am I thinking of myself trying to fix the ovaling of my foot peg mounts after the jumping?

Well, either way...JB is not the way to fix this one.
No! Definitely not!

That's why I had a section of Ford 9-inch axle shaft machined down for a swinger tube. The machinist said it was throwing sparks as he was turning it!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

With all the rain you've been getting....how about a boat?
A buddy did buy a couple jet skis. I told him at least he'll have something to sell next time he's broke

Old 01-21-2010, 12:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I'm not looking for a 4 wheeler for her, she'll probably just end up riding whatever I get. lol

She's actually a pretty good shifter. She mastered the 230's clutch instantly. She has a little more trouble with the DVX, but that's to be expected.

My boss has a pair of the Trailblazer 250s, and he let us borrow one on our trip out to Silver Lake Dunes in Michigan (Best business trip ever!) She loved it, even in the sand. I got on, and it could hardly haul my *** around in the sand, and I'm not a big guy by any means. haha In its defense, the sand was wet, and even my DVX was laboring at times.
I like the gears of the suzuki, mainly the low ones. It seems like the big bore cvt quads strain to cross a big rock or log and then suddenly flings itself over as the rpms build. Lower gears would just putt right over smoothly. Then again, I like being able to throw my legs up on the front racks and not worry about shifting too. Plus, it would be nice to have something cvt for guests... who can never seem to understand the concept of shifting gears. I've had my 280lb cousin trying to start up the side of a moutain in 5th gear and wondering why it wont move lol

Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
A buddy did buy a couple jet skis. I told him at least he'll have something to sell next time he's broke
I've always wanted one of the old Yamaha Waveblasters. I hate the big monsters they make today. If I ever got a jet ski, it would be a little one man job like the Wave Blaster.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
I like the gears of the suzuki, mainly the low ones. It seems like the big bore cvt quads strain to cross a big rock or log and then suddenly flings itself over as the rpms build. Lower gears would just putt right over smoothly. Then again, I like being able to throw my legs up on the front racks and not worry about shifting too. Plus, it would be nice to have something cvt for guests... who can never seem to understand the concept of shifting gears. I've had my 280lb cousin trying to start up the side of a moutain in 5th gear and wondering why it wont move lol
lol, yeah, I hear that. I don't let anyone on the DVX. Unless I'm right there watching, but even then...

4x4 with any type of tranny would be fine with me right now. We have this great park up north called the Iron Range OHV area, and lets just say my DVX will NEVER go there. We went up a few years ago and it was a blast. Just beat the **** out of the wheelers though.

I'm sure I've shown these pics before, but here they are again:

Name:  IMG_1323.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  233.1 KB
Name:  IMG_1270.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  208.3 KB
Name:  IMG_1263.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  244.6 KB

Old 01-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Here's the other side of the Outty in that pic: Which by the way, we still have the Outlander, but its my old man's ride so I can't do any fun mods or anything to it.

Name:  IMG_1261.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  258.1 KB

Old 01-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I've always wanted one of the old Yamaha Waveblasters. I hate the big monsters they make today. If I ever got a jet ski, it would be a little one man job like the Wave Blaster.
I don't know what he has, but he said they only made them a couple yrs whatever it was. 700cc 2-stroke rotary engine??? He came over n started asking me to learn how to fix them.... I asked if they're broke. He said no, but they will be soon, lol. I figure HE will be broke before they will :P

Driveway decorations really. He might ride them once.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider

lol, yeah, I hear that. I don't let anyone on the DVX. Unless I'm right there watching, but even then...

4x4 with any type of tranny would be fine with me right now. We have this great park up north called the Iron Range OHV area, and lets just say my DVX will NEVER go there. We went up a few years ago and it was a blast. Just beat the **** out of the wheelers though.

I'm sure I've shown these pics before, but here they are again:

Yeah, I remember those... and I remember saying I'd blast right by you on my quadsport too I'd have no trouble with those rocks... looks like the ones around here in the mountains.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys I just bought an 85-88 quadsport 230, kickstart, manual clutch, five speed. I only paid 300 for it and it runs and the plastic is in remarkably good condition. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS I CANNOT GET IT TO KICKSTART WHEN ITS COLD! I HAVE TO PULL START IT. AFTER ITS WARM, IT WILL KICKSTART WITHIN 1 OR 2 KICKS. WHATS GOING ON???? CAN ANYONE HELP???

ALSO, SHOULD THERE BE A LID ON THE TOP OF THE STOCK AIR BOX, BECAUSE MINE DIDNT COME WITH ONE???
I will try to post pics soon, you guys have a lot of info and knowledge of these machines, so if you could help me it would be great.
IM WONDERING IF MY VALVES NEED ADJUSTED??? I READ THATS ONE THING THAT CAN KEEP EM FROM KICKSTARTING??

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE SPEC FOR THE VALVES??

sorry for all the questions guys, but i could use the help, i have already milled over almost every suzuki thread looking for info on all my questions. I also have a 2007 z400 black limited edition, but like its older brother, it likes to throw chains and ended up throwing a brand new o-ring and binding up in the casesaver and front sprocket tearing 3rd gear out and now it shift horribly. I think im just going to buy a used motor and replace it rather than pay some one to rebuild the tranny. Ive seen motors for around $500 on ebay, what do you guys think?? thanks

Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jphillips664
Hey guys I just bought an 85-88 quadsport 230, kickstart, manual clutch, five speed. I only paid 300 for it and it runs and the plastic is in remarkably good condition. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS I CANNOT GET IT TO KICKSTART WHEN ITS COLD! I HAVE TO PULL START IT. AFTER ITS WARM, IT WILL KICKSTART WITHIN 1 OR 2 KICKS. WHATS GOING ON???? CAN ANYONE HELP???

ALSO, SHOULD THERE BE A LID ON THE TOP OF THE STOCK AIR BOX, BECAUSE MINE DIDNT COME WITH ONE???
I will try to post pics soon, you guys have a lot of info and knowledge of these machines, so if you could help me it would be great.
IM WONDERING IF MY VALVES NEED ADJUSTED??? I READ THATS ONE THING THAT CAN KEEP EM FROM KICKSTARTING??

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE SPEC FOR THE VALVES??

sorry for all the questions guys, but i could use the help, i have already milled over almost every suzuki thread looking for info on all my questions. I also have a 2007 z400 black limited edition, but like its older brother, it likes to throw chains and ended up throwing a brand new o-ring and binding up in the casesaver and front sprocket tearing 3rd gear out and now it shift horribly. I think im just going to buy a used motor and replace it rather than pay some one to rebuild the tranny. Ive seen motors for around $500 on ebay, what do you guys think?? thanks
It almost certainly needs the valves adjusted. Not starting when cold is is a symptom of that.... especially the intake valve. Your intake valve is probably worn out due to sucking in dirty air. You will need to adjust it over n over every so often until you eventually need to replace it. .001"-.003" on the intake and I think the exhaust is .003-.005, but its most likely ok.

I'm not sure what to say about the 400.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.