Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course, when you have to add 50lbs of lead weight to the front to hold it down, being light doesn't mean that much lol

Name:  0502001533.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  628.3 KB
Name:  0502001532.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  457.6 KB

Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

But check this out.... 500cc of 2-stroke power and it only weighs 300lbs! Or 350 with the lead weights :P

Name:  500rweight.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  121.1 KB

Old 11-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Ok, so what's the benefit of having the capacity? Other than aux lighting? And if you do use the extra capacity somehow (ie by making the spark bigger... somehow), would the extra power spent making the spark bigger yield enough extra power to cover the power spent and then some to be felt at the wheels? How's that for a run-on sentence lol. In other words... is it worth it?

I think there would be a loss, but not enough to really notice if your just running an ignition amplifier. Volts mean nothing (well, the mean alot, but not in the sense of what you think). If your getting a bigger spark, your just generating more voltage. It might take a little more energy to get the voltage. If your using lights, stuff like that, then your talkin power, and of coruse more energy to run the lights.

In a nutshell, I dont think an ignition amplifier will cause a loss of power by generating the voltage.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by SeanBean
I think there would be a loss, but not enough to really notice if your just running an ignition amplifier. Volts mean nothing (well, the mean alot, but not in the sense of what you think). If your getting a bigger spark, your just generating more voltage. It might take a little more energy to get the voltage. If your using lights, stuff like that, then your talkin power, and of coruse more energy to run the lights.

In a nutshell, I dont think an ignition amplifier will cause a loss of power by generating the voltage.

They say if you relate it to plumbing, volts is the water pressure, resistance is the pipe diameter, and amps is the water. And V=IR. If R stays the same and V goes up, then I goes up. Makes sense because if you increase water pressure, you get more water flowing. To increase pressure, it takes power.

To get a bigger spark, you have to do 1 of 2 things: 1) run more amps thru the ignition coil primary winding. 2) increase inductance of the primary winding. Obviously, more amps requires more power from the engine, but I'm thinking a coil with more inductance would too because the engine would have to "charge it up" with that much more current. Inductors are like capacitors... they both store energy, but must be charged up first. So, the bigger the storage container, the longer it takes to fill it or you must fill it faster (ie more amps which = more strain on engine).

I guess the question is at what point in making the spark bigger is the spark big enough to burn thru the fuel mix completely? Who knows... somebody just needs to buy the thing and let us know if it gives more power lol

Old 11-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Trailblazer

I think you'd get better results with timing and spark plug gap than adding more voltage to the system. But, it all adds up in the end, every little mod.

I remember years ago I bought an MSD Ignition Amp for my car. I dont think it made a difference in power, but it sure made it run better.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah and a car is different... it has a battery. You can store up energy for use later while idling or cruising around. The 230 can't.

I know I dumped $200 in fixing all the codes on my truck. Things like cam position sensor, mass air flow, etc. I got the codes to go away, but couldnt tell a difference in how the truck ran. Yet those double platinum plugs sure made a world of difference! Go figure...

Old 11-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

does anyone have a wiring diagram for the lt230s? the previous owner of mine really hacked into the wires when they replaced the light. id like to put it back together correctly.

randy, i know what you mean on those sensors. i hate these new engines for that reason. my mothers 98 astro van had code after code and had some bad sensors. replaced them all and couldnt tell the difference until we put new plugs and wires on it.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wiring Diagram

Here you go:
Wiring Diagram - Suzuki LT230S Vault

Does anybody know how to tell if my ATV was produced prior to August 1985 or post August 1985
I want to change the oil and need to know how much oil to put in it
Here's my vin:
http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vinDecoder/JSAAJ43A9F2101106

Old 11-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paradox
Here you go:
Wiring Diagram - Suzuki LT230S Vault

Does anybody know how to tell if my ATV was produced prior to August 1985 or post August 1985
I want to change the oil and need to know how much oil to put in it
Here's my vin:
http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vinDe...AJ43A9F2101106
it should have a sticker on the shifter side front frame, black and silver. and it should say on the clutch cover it should say either 1400ml or 2000ml or even 1600ml. a quart of oil is 946ml so i think it equals out to 2.1 quarts with a new oil filter for the 2000ml and the 1600ml equals out to be 1.7 quarts with a new oil filter. and if it says 1400ml its about 1.5 quarts.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

So I have been putting the all quadsport back together after a couple week engine repair. Finally got the thing back together with no oil leaks, which is great. I'm currently working on case saver since I can't find anyone that sells them. I didn't crack my case, I just don't want to crack my case. I have about a half an hour of work left on the saver and than I can go riding. I can post pictures of the case saver and the bike when I'm done. Its not the prettiest case saver, but it'll do the job. Its made out of steel from an old computer chair that broke, the perfect bend.

Also, how much power do you think you lose with silencer rings and a supertrapp silencer on the end. I have 15 rings on it. I can be as loud as I want where I live, so which way is better. Also, I have the dg pipe made for the lt230s.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.