Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the mudguards bolt to the lower edge of the front plastics, mine has the holes and screws for them but no guards, im just making some from some rubber i have laying around

Old 11-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@kookizuki
Yeah I have the original flaps bolted to my fenders this is a whole different piece...I'll post a pic in my profile and see if anyone has this piece also...I guess it is possible that it wasn't off a 230...thanks everyone, this forum has been a lot of help to me just reading back through the posts. You guys have already answered almost any question I have ever had without even having to ask them

Old 11-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

Hey guys, So I got the engine all back together and I tried to kick it over and it wouldn't kick. There are no oil leaks at all. The kick start kicks way to easily unlike before which leads me to believe that I lost compression, but I didn't take apart the top end or the center cases, just the side cases. It was apart since september, so I read in another forum that if you add oil through the spark plug, it should gain compression. The valves where adjusted before I took the engine apart and the timing was also perfect. Also, the spark plug comes out wet after kicking it. Thanks

Old 11-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Carb Question

I just bought a 1986 LT230S. I am not that familiar with this quad, but here is my question.

When I push the choke lever down, I get a sudden rush of fuel out of the overflow port below the carb. The bike also appears to be running rich "blue smoke" when I rev it. However, it drives fine and feels strong. The engine was recently overhauled but the owner said he didnt mess with the carb and it may just need a carb kit.

Why is the fuel dumping out when the choke is enabled?

Where is the mixture screws to adjust how rich this motor runs?

Any help would be grateful! email also is b8ascrub@gmail.com

Old 11-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

check the valves again. I wouldn't pour oil in the spark plug hole. Even if you did gain compression, it would burn away and you'll lose it just like that. Not to mention a slew of side effects that you don't want by having oil in the combustion chamber. That's why you have oils rings... to keep oil out of there. And if your loss of compression is due to bad rings, you already have oil in there!

Put a new spark plug in, set the valves carefully and clean the carb. It should run.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by b8ascrub
I just bought a 1986 LT230S. I am not that familiar with this quad, but here is my question.

When I push the choke lever down, I get a sudden rush of fuel out of the overflow port below the carb. The bike also appears to be running rich "blue smoke" when I rev it. However, it drives fine and feels strong. The engine was recently overhauled but the owner said he didnt mess with the carb and it may just need a carb kit.

Why is the fuel dumping out when the choke is enabled?

Where is the mixture screws to adjust how rich this motor runs?

Any help would be grateful! email also is b8ascrub@gmail.com
Its probably burning oil and not running rich if its running good. Burning oil is common with these quads. A friend's 230 started smoking. Against my better judgement, went slapped new rings in it. 2 weeks later its smoking again.

The mixture screw is at the front of the carb on the left side. Turn out to make it richer, but it only works for idle. I have no idea why its dumping fuel. You have to take it apart and figure it out lol

Old 11-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Oh, and light colored smoke (ie blue or white) is oil.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suzuki 230 spuddering

I just redid the side stator cover on my 1986 suzuki 230 lts and once I got done I took it out for a little ride, but at an idle it runs perfect, once a little bit of gas is added when your moving in any gear it will spudder then once you hit a certain rpm it will go back to normal. it allmost seams like the breaks are dragging but i checked them and there fine. Please help I have a planned ridding trip on sunday!!!!!! Thank you

Old 11-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris111179
I just redid the side stator cover on my 1986 suzuki 230 lts and once I got done I took it out for a little ride, but at an idle it runs perfect, once a little bit of gas is added when your moving in any gear it will spudder then once you hit a certain rpm it will go back to normal. it allmost seams like the breaks are dragging but i checked them and there fine. Please help I have a planned ridding trip on sunday!!!!!! Thank you
sound like a dirty carb or maybe timing issues. also you might want to check your coils to see if there in spec or damaged.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Just redoing the stator cover makes me think something inside the stator is loose. I had symptoms similar to that. The engine would run fine until it got warm and then started spuddering only at higher rpms. I just figured it was a little rich until one day it died and I had to tow it back to the truck. A little wire had broken in one of the stator coils. I guess sometimes it touched enough to run and other times it vibrated apart.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.