Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Myths?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Myths?

Pretty much all of my trails cross over small streams, and in some spots go right next to my pond where it overflows and floods out. My dad tells me if I keep riding through the streams (water is about 6 inches deep in the deepest spots) and through the mud (which can get pretty frickin' deep also) I am going to end up trashing my quad. He warns me of all these hundreds of dollars I am going to have to spend on bearings and whatnot just because I like to get muddy with the 'utes every once in a while. Is there any truth to this? I can see how it may be hard on it, but I thought quads are sealed up enough that with proper servicing you protect yourself from this?

In a nutshell - if I keep riding through water/mud am I going to spend major cash on parts Im messing up?

And also, how deep is too deep? I have heard submerging the engine can let water into the oil, so what's the deepest "puddles" I should take my Z250 through?

Old 01-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Myths?

some will argue but the fact is if water gets into the pipe it can be blown out but if water gets into the airbox, you're screwed...just check for grey motor oil next time you change your oil and if you see it it means water got into the airbox and is now in your motor and can cause damage

Old 01-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Myths?

when you getting that pipe? post pics when you get it

Old 01-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Myths?

Well every case is different it depends on the person I guess. My experience a long time ago was with a 1986 Honda Fourtrax 200. We had that thing so deep the tailpipe was bubbling the water. Some will say you shouldn't treat your quad like that but as for me. - - - 1986 Honda Fourtrax 200, never been rebuilt just standard maintence, if you wanted you could walk out back of my house and fire her right up right now. Just a tip don't let the water get in the tailpipe ( especially if it shuts off)

Old 01-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Myths?

What they said. Make sure you dont get into stuff deep enough that water could get in the air box.

Old 01-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default Myths?

suzukirider - Im still waiting on the pipe, it was backordered until either Jan. 5th, 15th, or 25th...some date ending with a 5. I can't find the email from Chaparral that told me it was backordered and Im 95% sure it was until the 5th, so it should be here any day. You'll see pics as soon as its here though.

Im not planning on getting water near the tailpipe, I ask to ride my uncle's Prairie when I feel like getting in that deep. I was riding next to the pond and got caught in some ruts that sucked me out deeper, deep enough that the water was almost over the top of the black plastic heel guards, and was like hey this is kinda fun lol. I'll stay away from water and mud if its going to trash it though.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Myths?

We are hardcore mudders and are always (granted we have snorkles) in water over the seats. I could almost bet that ANY bike (even a 50cc) produces enough pressure (even at idle) to prevent water from entering the tailpipe even if completely submerged. I have never had it happen to me nor has it happened to anyone I have ridden with or heard of.

As far as the airbox, MANY times, people I ride with (not me yet) have sucked up water and even gone as far as hydrolocking the bike. Unless you have really bad piston rings, water is not going to get into the engine from the cylinder. The rings are designed to prevent the passing of atomized fuel and air which is a LOT smaller than water. Usually when you start sucking water, the bike will immediately stall because of the lack of air. If you have a good filter (with a lot of oil) you won't even get a drop or water in the carb. I have seen airboxes full of water, yet the carb was almost completely dry.

The only way you are gonna get water in the engine is through VENTS or bad gaskets. This is also true (and more importantly true) for the front (if 4wd) and rear differentials and drum brakes. You may find several vent hoses that run from these different parts to up and around (and sometimes into) the airbox or handlebars. Extend those up a bit further and you will have no problems.

Just my experience.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Myths?

water can enter the crankcase/trans in some atv's through the air box though, a lot of them are connected via breather tube, and water will go into the crank from there, also it is rough on swingarm bearings on some models if they're not sealed

Old 01-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Myths?

i got water in my ari box with the lid on going thru this creek/river . i think it was cuz it splashed in there. the river was bout 1.5-2 feet deep.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Myths?

I think water and mud create different problems. If you ride in a lot of mud you will probably have to replace the brake pads more frequently I've found, as often as every 300 miles or less depending how much time you spend in the mud and how well you clean the brakes out afterwards. I try to ride through water 1-2 feet deep as fast as i can after playing in the mudd. I also had to replace the front bearings on the Ozark, though it's not really designed for bearying it in the mudd.

If you go in water that is below the tailpipe I wouldn't sweat it at all. I have had the tail pipe under often without any problems. The only time I had a problem was when I let it stall out when I got stuck with the pipe under. It sucked in a bit of water, which it blew out when I tried to fire it back up. I tipped it up to drain it, dried out the airfilter, and spark plug but it didn't want to stay running so I towed it back so I could change the oil, clean the air filter. It still ran a little rough for a bit but after a tank of gas it was fine. I'll post a pic of when it was swamped.

Quick Reply: Myths?