Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

KQ - Comment on best airfilters and clutch kits for performance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KQ - Comment on best airfilters and clutch kits for performance?

Hi Guys,
I am a new addition to the website and have a 06 camo - KQ. It has the not real snappy low end, but I also put 27" 589's on it. Looking to enhance the low end performance. Does anybody have a preference on clutch kit, airfilters, and pipes? Thanks!

Old 01-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forums, camoking! Your KingQuad is always going to be restricted on the low-end up until 9mph, due to an ignition timing retard, similar to what is on the stock Kawasaki V-twins. Until a module is made available by the aftermarket, this will remain in place. Join the crowd on hopes for that. As far as other power mods go, a clutch kit is probably your best bet at this point and the Dalton or EPI are the way to go. The EPI will give the most performance possible, but is $80 more than the Dalton, which is still impressive but not quite as much. Do not get the "oversized tire" kit with either as you'll lose top end, stock size is fine. That is probably the best bang for your buck at this point. The intake/exhaust mod everyone is doing with either the Dobeck TFI or PowerCommander will get you more gains, but not nearly as much, if I understand correctly.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

CamoKing. Welcome tot he forums. I have the EPI stock tire kit and I am running 26inch ITP XTR radials with it and no problems. Best mod I have done so far and it does help with the low end (a little). The shifting is still smooth and the down hill engine breaking is much improved over stock. I also have the power commander, Twin Air (with UNI vents) and i got my Yoshi pipe today. I am going to have it all dyno tuned next week. I have been told that with everything on the power commander set on the dyno that the low end lag is substantially reduced to the point of almost not being noticeable. I will see sometime next week about the results of the dyno. It going to cost me $250 to have the dyno tuning done and with the price of the power commander at another $250 thats $500 bucks to try to get rid of that stupid lag issue. I could have paid Yoshi $500 for there ECM if it would have done the ign. I will post the results of the dyno when I get it done.
As far as the twin air, it cost more in the beginning but I tend to believe that you get what you pay for. Sorry to have been windy. I hope this is some help! Look over on the NYROC site for some great info and awsome guys that just happen to ride King Quads also.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

RedGoblin & DavAsh,

Did I make a mistake?!? I run 27" XTRs on 14" ITPs and ordered the EPI clutch kit "OVERSIZED TIRES" & Twinair filter. You say I will lose topend but how much? Should I call and have them chage my order for the smaller tires? If I stick with what I ordered what kind of performance should I expect? Please help. Thanks.

RAGE

Old 02-07-2006, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

If your order has not yet shipped, I would change. However, with that said, the top-end loss isn't that dramatic as I'm told it's a few mph.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

I can live with 1 or 2 MPH but not much more. Any idea how much low end I will get over the stock size tire clutch?

Old 02-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Trailblazer

welcome Camoking. go with the twinair filter. its worth the price as far as i'm concerned. after i get my lift, springs, wheels and tires, i am getting an EPI clutch. i figure that if you are going to mod the clutch, you might as well do it all , not just half of it like some clutch kits.