Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger ready for tires!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006 | 08:28 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Eiger ready for tires!

Gonna replace my stockers here in a couple of weeks. I have put money down on some new tires but haven't picked them up yet. I would like to hear what you guys think of my decision. Speak you mind , and don't hold anything back. I decided one thing for sure is that im gonna stay stock size with the 25's. Reasons being price, wear and tear, and avoiding a powerloss. Its down to the Kenda Bearclaws or the At Mudlites. I actually have cash down on the Bearclaws but the guy also has mudlites available if i change my mind about the tires before they are paid in full. I am uncertain which to get and that where i need your help. I ride all kinds of trails from hardpacked, slushy mud, rocks, and just about every type trail you could think of. The other thing is i love to play in the mud. Mostly trail but if we find some great mud then we may stop there and play for 30 or 40 minutes in one mudhole. I would love to hear from some of you that have first hand expierence with these tires. I know and expect more reply's on the mudlite because more people ride them, but we will wait and see. Here is what i have came up with from other threads and research about the two tires. Please verify or correct and misunderstandings i may have about them.
BEARCLAWS
Great all around trail tire
Fair in mud but not near the best
Long lasting tread and durable
Tad bit heavier than the lites

MUDLITES
Great all around tire
Great in the mud
Very Light tire
Leaking issues
Durable

I can get either of these sets in factory size paid for and mounted for 5 dollars difference in the two. $ 230.00 for the bearclaws and $225.00 for the lites. Also does this sound like a pretty fair price for the sets. Please respond and help me make up my mind. I am a first time buyer for new atv tires and want to make a good educated decision. Thanks in advance for the input in this thread. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2006 | 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

wayout here, i've had about every tire and size you could can think of, what i run now is what i'll run until i find something better,it's not one of the ones you narrowed it down to but carlise at 489's are the best all around tire you can buy in my opinion, they do every thing well and nothing bad, by far the longest wearing tire i ever had, won't wear nothing out, thats all bigger tires do, they're for show as far as i'm concearned, i'll go anywhere they wiil go, garenteed.. you try them and you'll love them, they are 6 ply but don't ride like it, just preform like it.................by the way, same price.............

Old 02-08-2006 | 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

From what I understand, the mudlites have a rounder profile whereas the bearclaws have a a flat profile. This makes the mudlites a "sportier" tire ( kicking back end out, handling, etc ). Also, because less of the tire touches the riding surface and a nice center ridge, they are better on paved and dirt roads.

The bearsclaws are also a good tire, they just handle different such as "floating" through/over stuff better, etc. From what I have read, the bearclaws also do not wear as fast as the mudlites.

I personally have mudlites on a 5 speed Vinson and I think they are great! I love them! I have 26" 12s in back and 10s in front. Because I have a manual with high/low range I can always choose how much power to give the bike so power loss is not an issue.

I have found them to be awsome in almost all terrain / mud. The only bad thing I can say about mudlites, but I think it is more of a deep lug issue, is that in streams with loose sandy bottoms, such as you find in sandpits, they tend to dig in if you try and come out at very steep angles.

Old 02-08-2006 | 08:30 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks for the comments wayout and pineman. Your comments are taken snd appreciated. Those Carlise 489's do look pretty sweet and maybe i'll try them out next time around for tires. The fact is i have money down on basically my choice of the mudlites or the bearclaws. Thanks for the info on the lites. I like a sporty feel like you said the lites gives. I kinda get that feel with the stockers thats on it now. I was set on the bearclaws at first but now im unsure if i was making the right decision. When i first got my quad, me and a pal were out riding. I took my eiger (with stock tires) through a mudhole and got stuck. I then put it in 4wd and pulled out slow and easily. Well my buddy went through it on a 2wd rancher without any problems. I figured it out that it had to be those big bearclaws he was running on the rear giving him the advantage. I tried the hole again in 2wd with the same results. He did the same with the same results. The hole was rutted out and most likely i was bottoming out with the middle of the 4 wheeler resting on mud while the tires were spinning. Probably those big lugs that come out on the sides of the rear bearclaws were getting enough traction to pull him on through. I know my ground clearance was as good as his. More comments and info please. Thanks alot!

Old 02-08-2006 | 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: VADERPITT
Thanks for the comments wayout and pineman. Your comments are taken snd appreciated. Those Carlise 489's do look pretty sweet and maybe i'll try them out next time around for tires. The fact is i have money down on basically my choice of the mudlites or the bearclaws. Thanks for the info on the lites. I like a sporty feel like you said the lites gives. I kinda get that feel with the stockers thats on it now. I was set on the bearclaws at first but now im unsure if i was making the right decision. When i first got my quad, me and a pal were out riding. I took my eiger (with stock tires) through a mudhole and got stuck. I then put it in 4wd and pulled out slow and easily. Well my buddy went through it on a 2wd rancher without any problems. I figured it out that it had to be those big bearclaws he was running on the rear giving him the advantage. I tried the hole again in 2wd with the same results. He did the same with the same results. The hole was rutted out and most likely i was bottoming out with the middle of the 4 wheeler resting on mud while the tires were spinning. Probably those big lugs that come out on the sides of the rear bearclaws were getting enough traction to pull him on through. I know my ground clearance was as good as his. More comments and info please. Thanks alot!
i would prefer the bearclaws over the mudlites,hands down,i've seen them on almost the same atvs and the bearclaws done better every time, good snow tire also, that would be my second choice of tire personaly.wayout, out................ p.s. the mudlites have had a lot of trouble with leaks on the sidewalls, and being out of round; the set i bought had both problems, i'll never buy another set,,burn me once,shame on you,burn me twice, shame on me........ you won't beleive the difference it wiil make,let me know what you think, you'll be amazed...........

Old 02-08-2006 | 09:10 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks for your opinion wayout. Where about are you located in WV? I had some friends came to ride at Hatfield and Mccoy's (think thats what its called) last summer but i didn't get to make the trip with them. WV people are about as close as you can get to Kentuckians and vice versa. Lots of people actually think we still don't have running water and stuff. Lol. I love it here in Southeast, KY we have some good riding and im sure you guys do to.

Old 02-08-2006 | 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

hey vaderpit, i'm from oak hill, thats about 45 minutes from where you was talking about, yea their's alot of nice riding here also,you old hick,hahaha see you around,wayout, out.............

Old 02-08-2006 | 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

I have the mudlites, at times they can handle a little weird, also I can attest to the leaking....it's a pain in the rear to have to pump up your tires when you wanna ride....Others may not think this but i'm more performance oreinted, i felt that the stock size Mudlites drew the power down on the eiger a tad, it was fully expected, but if your looking to keep power at a maximum i wouldn't go bigger

Old 02-09-2006 | 11:59 AM
Range Rover

I put mudlites on in Oct. I love them I went with 26", 10" in fron 12" in rear. I have noticed very little power loss but I have a 5sp so that may be the diff. Bear Claws were my second choice ( actually wanted Bear Claws when I first bought my Eiger). I went with mudlites because of all the great things that have been said about them. I think either of them will be great.

Old 02-09-2006 | 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Get 25" Mud Lite XL's. Thats what I did, and I dont regret it at all. No power loss, but the 1 1/4 tread gets the job done. Tremendous grip in the mud and on the trails. I can go places in 2wd that I had trouble going before in 4wd. It is amazing the difference. I paid $238 OTD for all 4 tires. Which is not bad at all.

Quick Reply: Eiger ready for tires!