Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2005 Vinson performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Vinson performance mods

No, porting and polishing is not what I am talking about, but it will help just not needed for some good performance gains. When you get the HMF, you also want to get a good high flow air filter (K&N), and jet kit for the carb (Dynojet). This will open up the overall air for combustion and help get rid of the extra spent gases. These mods will give you more bang for your buck, approx. $330.00 in all.
The term dyno tuned comes from running it on a dyno with a sniffer in the exhaust pipe to check for air/fuel ratio. The dyno gives you a readout on the horsepower and torque allowing you to tune (adjust and change jets in the carb) to get the most power and torque available. It also shows you how linear your power curve is also so you can adjust for dead spots.

My Vinson is a manual shift and with all the weight I have added the mods have brought it back to stock "feel" and more. Some guys have added a clutch kit on the autos and said it helped a lot. The cam is also a good addition for $128.00 from Webcams.com.
It all boils down to how much you want to spend.
I see in your sig. you have a KX250. Hope you are not comparing the Vinny to that beast. A buddy had the KX and it was awesome. He had to sell it before bofore our competitiveness got one of us hurt! Good luck and if I can help just holla.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Camozuki,
I appreciate the help.

I do kind of have an addiction for speed due to primarily riding dirt bikes all my life but I realize my Vinson's not going to give me the same rush. I don't race but I ride with a bunch of guys that race Enduro's so we go out tree dodging whenever possible. My KX250 is set up for woods racing with heavier flywheel weight, handguards, FMF Turbine Core Silencer and reworked suspension. Several of my
friends call it the "Green Chili Pepper" because of it's power characteristics but it's not quite strong enough for my weight. I weigh about 230lbs.

Anway back to the subject, I've just gotten back into four wheelers and am loving it. I shouldn't be trying to get more power out of my Vinson but I just can't help myself. I bought the Vinny over a Brute Force
650 Due to it's less abrupt power so I could ride my kids around on it. Now I find myself wanting more.
I do plan on buying a sport or at least a sporty'er quad when my dirt bike is paid off.

Any Ideas on clutch kits for my Auto? I'll be running stock tires and would like to get better accerleration out of the corners. I think most are made for large tires, etc.

Thanks,
Motomonkey76

Old 10-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Range Rover

Join highlifter dot com forum and talk to some of the guys with autos on there. There is a lot of guys with good info on there. By the way the Vinson is pretty peppy for a 500 cc 4WD. I have about $9k in mine now and love it. A very nimble and quick utility quad.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I'll do that.

BTW, you've got a nice ride. I wish I would have bought the manual shift version. Everybody say's they're faster and more fun on the trails.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the compliment. Yeh the manual, from what people say who have ridden both is a little quicker out of the hole and on top end. But with a clutch kit, pipe, filter, and jet kit you should be impressed with the gains.
Highlifter is based in Louisiana. Some of those boys have pretty wild rides. Give me a shout when you register over there. I am a member on 6 different atv forums and like talking smack and learning new things and passing them on. These forums are very addictive.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:08 AM
Pro Rider

hey there, as you can see iv got a 5 speed and love it. The manual is a bit faster than the auto, my buddy has an auto and has yet to beat me yet even after he put on a pipe, filter and jet kit but he is very close now. I have been waiting for my extended warrenty to expire so i can state throwing parts at this thing to liven it up. I'v done alot of research while i was waiting and i think the best bang for your buck is the hmf utility exhaust, with the k+n filter and jet kit, like camo has said. But what i really want to do is send my motor to mickey dunlop for the 581 kit wich is supposed to be insain.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Suzuki4ever,
I have heard bits and pieces about this mysterious 581 kit but I can't seem to find out
anything about it out on the net. Who is this Mickey Dunlop and what all do you know
about this kit?

Thanks,
Motomonkey76

Old 11-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

Hey guys, just curious what you guys are running for jetting and such. My '03 Vinson Auto is rather doggy and cant seem to figure out why. Currently have an HMF w/ quietcore, K&N filter, snorkel slightly opened, and dyno-jet kit. I just went back to the DJ 128 main, from the 132....132 seemed a bit rich, but performance wise i didnt notice much between the 2. With the 128 Ive partially blocked the snorkle off in different amounts (to richen the mixture just to try to note any difference..none noted). Im rather stumpted at this point...and frusterated. Though, i havent had much time to play with it and experiment lately. Plug is brand new, machine has 1400 miles on it. Oh, i had a customers sp400 at home last night....i couldnt even take that going up my driveway, argh! Any thoughts? TIA!

Shaun

Old 11-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Range Rover

Air filter clean? Spark arrestor clean? If so what are the symptoms? Does it bog, backfire? I would probably start by draining the gas and cleaning the carb. Good luck..........

Old 11-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know much about the 581 kit myself there is a lady on this foruum that says she has it in her vinny but i dont think she has reported how it is yet. Mickey dunlop has an off road speed shop in penn. somewhere that is all i know. As far as your ******* problem goes sms069, the only time i tried to replace the plug on mine after 2000 miles the brand new one had a cracked plemum and was grounding out. put the old one back in and ran like a champ. If you cant take a sp400 you have some issues. I would check the carb, look in the bool for little pieces of black plastic which some people have had problems with. The palstic came form the tank when the hole were drilled for the fuel pet ****. I recoment butting an in line filter between the tank and carb if you havent already anyway. If you dont see much difference between carb settings then make sure that the coil has a good ground and there is no other prblems with the ignition system.

Quick Reply: 2005 Vinson performance mods