Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LTR Recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTR Recall

Well everybody... I hate to be the barer of bad news but LTR owners like myself were dreading this day... But it was bound to come up sooner or later....

Apparently zuki is achnowledging an issue with the rear shock mount bracket not being welded completely all around in early models. Check the following link for the VIN #'s effected (page 2).

If your VIN number is in the impacted range and to tell what category you will fall in turn your quad over and check for damage... If there's a crack in the weld bead over .5mm you get a new frame that is welded all around. Less than .5mm the dealer will weld up the frame.

http://www.ltr450hq.com/taylor/Recall.pdf

Old 06-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTR Recall

I actually view this as good news that Suzuki has stepped up to the plate and is taking care of the problem now. Smart move on their part with all of the hype surrounding this quad.

I did read another post, in a different site, about someone who grenaded his transmission. But it was only one person. I find it hard to believe since trannies haven't been one of Suzuki's weak spots in the past.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTR Recall

I took the printout to my local dealer today and at first the kid at the parts counter acted like I was full of it.... then I spoke to the parts manager... he in turn got one of the suits to look at the print out and said 'oh yeah, I saw this come in the other day'... So when I pressed him on what they were going to do about it they said that since they havn't gotten one back in yet they weren't going to look into any further... This pissed me off so I threw the ole 'gonna wait till you get sued' line at them and along with 'what did I get for 8k' line.... Needless to say, when they told me that they don't have an certified welder on site and that I'd have to wait till their 1 onsite mechanic got to it I was REALLY pissed....

That made up my mind to head to Pismo this weekend to ride the crap out of the ole LTR... A lawyer frined of mine that also rides said that if I(we) press hard enough we could potentially get a whole new quad if they want to give us the run-around.... I probably just had a bad experience with my dealer and I don't want a whole new quad.... I just don't want to be LTR-less for 1-2 months till they get off their ****....

I'm interested how other dealers are handling this...

Old 06-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTR Recall

any dealer who's worth their salt would have ordered the new frame for you. I'd go somewhere else for the service. Suzuki is doing their part by recalling the machines. Now it's up to the dealer network to follow through in the work.

Many dealers are reluctant to do recall/warranty work because, if I'm not mistaken, they don't get paid for it.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTR Recall

thanks for the heads up...well probablly be taking ours in to the dealer next weekend...ill let u know what they say. were suposed to be goin on a trip as soon as i get outta of school next week and we were plannin on headin to a pretty nice track, id be pissed if the second time around the track, i land a little hard off a jump and there goes the weld...again thank you

Old 06-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTR Recall

so we took in the 450 today, to the dealer where we bought it, and they said that their gonna inspect it for cracks and that if there werent any they would continue the weld, cuz i guess the welds where the suspension mount connect to the frame arent strong enough, theres only one on each side, so their gonna weld it all the way around to strengthen it. they said they havent seen any of em cracked yet, and that it only happens to the guys goin off of huge jumps. its goona take em a few days cuz they have to take the gas tank out and tear down the quad to get to it, but they were cool about it.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTR Recall

You'd think these problems would surface during the R & D on these bikes.I'm sure they beat the snot out of them during testing.This sounds like the 03' Z-400 all over again.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTR Recall

I took my LTR into the dealer the other day and had no cracks on the welds. Then they said to leave it with them for the next few weeks so they can break it down and take it to a local welding shop because they don't have a certified welder on staff.... I don't think so..... They wanted to break down the quad dispite me showing them the official Zuki dealer notice wherein it shows step-by-step what they need to do before fixing the problem...and a complete breakdown isn't needed.... I even offered to have the frame welded myself at a certified welding shop in town then take it back to them to to show the repairs made and then they can put the new 'tag' on it to prove it's fixed and they said no... I don't want to be w/out the quad for 3-4 weeks while it just sits in the dealership.... I'm going to another dealer...

What's funny is that they even offered me a job as a mechanic...

Old 06-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTR Recall

If you live up in the Northwest and your frame needs to be checked just call Everett Powersports up in Everett, Wa and if your frame just needs to be welded they are turning them around in 24 hours. If the frame needs to be replaced it will take a little longer ofcoarse. Their number is 800-735-7031. Those guys will take care of you.