Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Skid plates...yay or nay...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006 | 07:44 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Skid plates...yay or nay...

I was getting ready to order two set of swing arm, a-arm, and chassis skid plates for my quads and thought I would check with you guys before I hit the 'confirm order' order button.

The most trail riding I'll be doing will be at Gorman. In the winter it will be all sand.

Yay or nay?

I was already recommended the DG brand but want to be sure these are really for me? Are they removed when you do dune riding?

Old 06-27-2006 | 08:18 PM
Range Rover

For my riding it was a must. Too bad I had to bend an a-arm to figure it out. Now I don't have to worry about anything. I can drive over trees, on the ground or standing, and large rocks without having to worry about anything tearing up. Plus I'm sure it helps to keep a strain off the welds on the frame.

Old 06-27-2006 | 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

mmm im not a real fan of DG, but PRM is known to be if not the best, one of the best in skids, bumpers and grab bars, i'd recommend PRM

Old 06-27-2006 | 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

They are a must for me also, I have replaced my oil pan once and dont want to do it again.

Old 06-27-2006 | 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

they are a must me i have them on both of my quads and i feel saf with them on

Old 06-27-2006 | 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

just because its sand doesnt mean there isnt a rock waiting to come out, get the skids worth every $$$$$$$$$$$

Old 06-27-2006 | 11:55 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I find a-arm skids unnecessary, and they add weight to the front end where it does the most harm.

But chassis and swingarm skids are a must, and nerfs are an important piece of safety equipment.

Old 06-28-2006 | 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

a-arm skids are a must if you are around rocks, they reenforce the a-arm, if you hit a rock with the skids, its less likely the a-arm will bend

Old 06-28-2006 | 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

I have skids on mine, and like them alot. Not afraid of rocks at all. (Except for the arms.) Yeah, PRM is great... just a a grab bar from them. Solid, and light. Trust me.... it is verrry solid. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2006 | 09:49 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Look at some pictures of desert racers, like from the big Baja endurance races. If any machines needed a-arm skids, these should be the ones. Not a single a-arm skid anywhere in sight...........

One very important part of the chassis skid is not just protecting the engine, but the FRAME RAILS! A bent frame is going to be a major problem. Get a skid that wraps around the rails a little, for some extra protection.

Quick Reply: Skid plates...yay or nay...